Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Surprised many are calling for AA's inclusion. Our defence looked fantastic last week against the Saints, I wouldn't want to change anything. Bringing AA in would mean some positional changes and I don't think we need to be tinkering like that now we've finally hit some form. I'd be happy with either Dawson or Florent, whoever they decide to bring in I hope it's not just for one game
    The Saints had a feeble forward line, with a slow Paddy McCartin and Nick Riewoldt with a bum knee. Membrey is not that tall. We probably won't have a problem with Hawthorn either.

But what happens when we play GWS, with Cameron, Lobb and Patton, or Adelaide with Walker, Jenkins, McGovern and Lynch, or Essendon with Daniher, Hooker and Stewart? We need to be prepared to deal with teams with 3 or more tall forwards and not tie down Rampe to difficult defensive roles. He's much better coming off his man to help out others. He's the key player in our transition from defence to offense.

It's a much needed tinkering that will make us a better and more flexible side. Faster, bigger, stronger and more skillful.

On the Rookie List
    - - - Updated - - -

In: RWO
    Out: Maintenance issues

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Saints had a feeble forward line, with a slow Paddy McCartin and Nick Riewoldt with a bum knee. Membrey is not that tall. We probably won't have a problem with Hawthorn either.

But what happens when we play GWS, with Cameron, Lobb and Patton, or Adelaide with Walker, Jenkins, McGovern and Lynch, or Essendon with Daniher, Hooker and Stewart? We need to be prepared to deal with teams with 3 or more tall forwards and not tie down Rampe to difficult defensive roles. He's much better coming off his man to help out others. He's the key player in our transition from defence to offense.

It's a much needed tinkering that will make us a better and more flexible side. Faster, bigger, stronger and more skillful.
    When we play those teams we should consider tinkering with our side. I do agree that we have been too rigid in the past in situations like that and that it has cost us. Hawthorn are not one of those teams though and, therefore, we should stay with our current balance.

- - - Updated - - -

When we play those teams we should consider tinkering with our side. I do agree that we have been too rigid in the past in situations like that and that it has cost us. Hawthorn are not one of those teams though and, therefore, we should stay with our current balance.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I don't think we should drop Sinclair. I think Tippett would struggle to be the sole ruck. They seemed to preserve him a bit by keeping him mostly forward. I think higher chance of injury if we play him as sole ruck.

Dawson or Florent seem likely due to good reserve form. It would be good to see Dawson play a second game in midfield whilst he is in good form. Or to see how Florent plays in a team that is not struggling.

It is a great opportunity to cement a place in a winning team. Though they may just play Florent/Dawson for one game. And then bring in Jack, Robinson or Marsh after the bye.

I agree longer term we may need to develop another tall in defence. Sometimes we seem undersized and Melican sometimes struggles with the bigger forwards. Maybe later on in the season we should have a look at Talia or Maiburn.

Aliir does not seem a capable lock down defender, maybe keep him as a backup to Mills/Marsh. So he is just marking a medium sized half forward and has less defensive responsibility.
    Last edited by SeanM; 23rd May 2017 at 04:46 AM.

Maybe I'm just a cynical person but I'd like to see us include someone specifically to physically intimidate Hodge along the lines of that Geelong game earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Maybe I'm just a cynical person but I'd like to see us include someone specifically to physically intimidate Hodge along the lines of that Geelong game earlier in the year.
    Papley and Hodge might be spending a bit of time together. If I remember rightly, didn't Papley treat Hodge as a speed hump, when scoring in a game last year? If so, Hodge is probably holding a grudge, while Papley is probably keen to repeat the dose. Might be an interesting clash.

There's no doubt in my mind that Mills is a better midfielder than he is a defender. The loss of Cunningham is not so much that we lost a midfielder as we did a link player who could play a run with role. Mills is definitely a better defensive player after his season in the backs, he definitely has the discipline to play a run with role and can certainly provide the pace we need on the outside.
    Allir is a class act and many of us rue the fact he wasn't available for the gf. If he is now fit and capable he should be considered as Mills' replacement. Moreover, with Rampe back in the team, his communication and organisational skills will make Allir more accountable and confident.
    Dawson is more an offensive-midfielder than defensive. He would be a better fit for Towers or Rohan but based on their respective games probably shouldn't be considered at this time.

Out: Cunningham
    In: Allir

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that Mills is a better midfielder than he is a defender. The loss of Cunningham is not so much that we lost a midfielder as we did a link player who could play a run with role. Mills is definitely a better defensive player after his season in the backs, he definitely has the discipline to play a run with role and can certainly provide the pace we need on the outside.
    Allir is a class act and many of us rue the fact he wasn't available for the gf. If he is now fit and capable he should be considered as Mills' replacement. Moreover, with Rampe back in the team, his communication and organisational skills will make Allir more accountable and confident.
    Dawson is more an offensive-midfielder than defensive. He would be a better fit for Towers or Rohan but based on their respective games probably shouldn't be considered at this time.

Out: Cunningham
    In: Allir
    Now that Rampe is back I wouldn't mind this move. My concern is purely from a match up point of view whether we'd be going in too tall

Veterans List
    Anyone read the NEAFL article on last weeks game on the Swans website? Must say I got a little firm reading it :-)

Based on that, I'm suggesting Florent is Harry's replacement.

Thought the backline was excellent against the Saints, leave it well alone until we meet a giant forward line.

Now that Rampe is back I wouldn't mind this move. My concern is purely from a match up point of view whether we'd be going in too tall
    This is a bit of a misconception that has crept into the conversation about being too tall. It's not so much about being too tall, but being too slow, and the term is most often used when referring to forwards, as many tall forwards are not capable of applying pressure, allowing easy D50 rebounding. This does not apply at all to Aliir, as he actually adds speed and rebound power to our backline.

There have been some very effective matchups of tall defenders against small forwards. I remember Dustin Fletcher playing on Eddie Betts, and Mackie often gets to role on a small forward. Tim O'Brien is likely to come back into the Hawthorn side, so will play Roughhead, Gunston and O'Brien as 3 tall forwards, with McEvoy often rolling forward and providing a strong marking option. Sicily may also play, which can be an option for either Rampe or Aliir.

I have Aliir not only in our best 22, but in our best dozen players.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a bit of a misconception that has crept into the conversation about being too tall. It's not so much about being too tall, but being too slow, and the term is most often used when referring to forwards, as many tall forwards are not capable of applying pressure, allowing easy D50 rebounding. This does not apply at all to Aliir, as he actually adds speed and rebound power to our backline.

There have been some very effective matchups of tall defenders against small forwards. I remember Dustin Fletcher playing on Eddie Betts, and Mackie often gets to role on a small forward. Tim O'Brien is likely to come back into the Hawthorn side, so will play Roughhead, Gunston and O'Brien as 3 tall forwards, with McEvoy often rolling forward and providing a strong marking option. Sicily may also play, which can be an option for either Rampe or Aliir.

Senior Player
    I remember Dustin Fletcher playing on Eddie Betts
    Or better yet, when Fletcher went to Phil Matera. That was hilarious!!

There's a fair few similarities between Fletcher and Aliir, actually.
    C'mon Chels!

Warming the Bench

- - - Updated - - -

Fletcher on Betts would've been a sight! Aliir is fast when he's got the ball in his hands, one on one I'm not as confident. Bringing him in to play loose in defence would work for me but again I don't think we'll do that. Dawson/Florent as like for like replacement for Cunningham

- - - Updated - - -

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast