Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I can't understand why people are suggesting replacing Cunningham with a defender. I like AA as much as anyone but his spot is being filled by Melican or Rampe. Melican should not be dropped and Rampe should not be considered for midfield - he is way too valuable in defence.

For me, Cunningham needs to be replaced with a forward/mid which should be either Florent or Dawson. K Jack could be an option but I'd prefer to see him come in via the NEAFL.
    I completely agree with all of this. My first choice replacement would be Dawson because he's done most to earn it.

Very sorry to hear Robbo is injured (again!).

Here is an article that will be of interest to many posters but especially, Ludwig: The nine AFL clubs that should drop their ruckmen | The Roar. The discussion in the comments is also worth looking at. Interestingly while the author agrees with Ludwig about the dubious value of ruckmen, s/he would propose dropping Mumford ahead of Tippett, Naismith or Sinclair!

I think the recent comments of (Chris?) Scott too about the value of ruckmen and whether there is need for a rule change are also pertinent to this discussion. I would add a link but it seems afl.com.au is down right now. (Infected by RWO?)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an article that will be of interest to many posters but especially, Ludwig: http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/05/22/nine-afl-clubs-drop-ruckmen/. The discussion in the comments is also worth looking at. Interestingly while the author agrees with Ludwig about the dubious value of ruckmen, s/he would propose dropping Mumford ahead of Tippett, Naismith or Sinclair!

I think the recent comments of (Chris?) Scott too about the value of ruckmen and whether there is need for a rule change are also pertinent to this discussion. I would add a link but it seems afl.com.au is down right now. (Infected by RWO?)

If Allir came back in, I see him more as a swing man. Much like Reid is dropped back into defense when we need an extra man, Allir could do that and leave Reid up forward. Allir could roam around half forward/wing. In time, he could have a full license to roam like Goodes did. Probably not ready for that yet though. So he'd become a half forward/swing-man for now.

I think Florent is more ready then Dawson

It will be a run ur butt off game and Oli can hunt that ball better then Dawson and tackle

Oli is ready and he is a beep test way above Dawson re fitness

Equally can't wait to see Dawson rise and rise and be that guy that sends 69m passes to the Bud on the fly in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is a bit of a misconception that has crept into the conversation about being too tall. It's not so much about being too tall, but being too slow, and the term is most often used when referring to forwards, as many tall forwards are not capable of applying pressure, allowing easy D50 rebounding. This does not apply at all to Aliir, as he actually adds speed and rebound power to our backline.

There have been some very effective matchups of tall defenders against small forwards. I remember Dustin Fletcher playing on Eddie Betts, and Mackie often gets to role on a small forward. Tim O'Brien is likely to come back into the Hawthorn side, so will play Roughhead, Gunston and O'Brien as 3 tall forwards, with McEvoy often rolling forward and providing a strong marking option. Sicily may also play, which can be an option for either Rampe or Aliir.

I have Aliir not only in our best 22, but in our best dozen players.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a bit of a misconception that has crept into the conversation about being too tall. It's not so much about being too tall, but being too slow, and the term is most often used when referring to forwards, as many tall forwards are not capable of applying pressure, allowing easy D50 rebounding. This does not apply at all to Aliir, as he actually adds speed and rebound power to our backline.

There have been some very effective matchups of tall defenders against small forwards. I remember Dustin Fletcher playing on Eddie Betts, and Mackie often gets to role on a small forward. Tim O'Brien is likely to come back into the Hawthorn side, so will play Roughhead, Gunston and O'Brien as 3 tall forwards, with McEvoy often rolling forward and providing a strong marking option. Sicily may also play, which can be an option for either Rampe or Aliir.

I have Aliir not only in our best 22, but in our best dozen players.
    There is no way in the world that Aliir is in our best dozen players. Maybe he will be one day (I hope so) but not now. A quick assessment (in no order):-

Franklin, Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Grundy, Jones, Mills, Heeney, Lloyd, Rampe, Smith, Tippett, Reid. That's 13. Then add Hewett, Papley, McVeigh, Jack, Cunningham, Rohan etc etc.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    There is no way in the world that Aliir is in our best dozen players. Maybe he will be one day (I hope so) but not now. A quick assessment (in no order):-

Franklin, Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Grundy, Jones, Mills, Heeney, Lloyd, Rampe, Smith, Tippett, Reid. That's 13. Then add Hewett, Papley, McVeigh, Jack, Cunningham, Rohan etc etc.
    I agree with this, he needs to work his socks off to get back in the side and that's how it should be. I know I keep on banging on about this but I'd love to see him given a chance to play up the ground a bit and come down back as a swingman if required rather than having a direct responsibility because I just think he gets found out.

I remain very confident he will be a big player for us for years to come, his talent is too freakish not to, but I think we may need to be a bit patient with him,

To Doctor and MP,

Start practicing. Repeat these words: "Ludwig, you were right about Aliir, in fact, I think he's in our best half dozen players."

Sam Fishers been playing well the last month would be nice to see make his debut but is a rookie unfortunately.

Even apart from the fact that he's a rookie, Fisher is a long way back. In the past month he's played three times: v Brisbane, v NT Thunder and this week gone v Students. He was very good against the Students but did not stand out and was not named among the bests in the other games. I do think he has promise, and I think he played well early in the year too, just he's a long way back in the queue for seniors footy IMO.

I watched Fisher in the trial game against GWS at the season opening. As 180cm height, and quite slight he looked so small, yet he was thrown into centre bounces after 1/2 time, when the Swans were behind at that stage. It looked cruel, but he won the ball, and bounced and was very instrumental in the eventual win.

I was impressed, and wondered where he would eventually find a niche in a senior team. I have stated at other times that we don't have any replacement for Nick Smith as a small defender, but even he is 183cm. Definitely a gutsy player like Smith, though.

There was a story about the 1st to 4th year players during the preseason. In a small segment they said only Isaac Heeney beat Fisher in the pushup competition, so he's a strong kid for his size.

I, like Mountain Man, can see him as a possible small defender. He's a good decision maker and a good kick. He's not super quick, but quick enough.

Everyone is saying that rookies will be able to play senior football next year, so he could get a few games next season, but there are a fair number ahead of him in the queue.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    To Doctor and MP,

Start practicing. Repeat these words: "Ludwig, you were right about Aliir, in fact, I think he's in our best half dozen players."
    Too much Thai whiskey.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast