Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Hawthorn.

Senior Player
    Cunningham gave us real speed and his two goals were spectacular. He is improving and versatile and seems to play some of the time off half back. He will be missed. Would leave Jack till after the bye. Florent probably should come in with his pace and he has been freshened up

Surprised if anyone but Florent came in for Cunningham.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Agree on team balance its Floreant
    but AA coming in could release mills as a mid or another
    He is the best in the 2s and has the x factor we need to compete with the best
    i definately wouldnt drop Melican for him so we need to look at other openings and HCs spot os open

Id bring in Allir too.

Pick the best 22.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think Florent will be the one to come in as he has the outside pace
    I would go this way too, for the same reason. Longmire today suggested Florent and Dawson to be the candidates. I think ideally Ollie would be given the chance to build momentum for the NEAFL side, but agree pace should determine their choice.

Aliir isn't currently in the best 22. There are those on this thread who have been calling for players like Newman, Melican and others to come in to the first team, and many more over the years, but the performances they have turned in once picked only prove that the club was right to hold them back. The coaching staff know what they want and when a young guy is ready. It's also clear that some get an early taste of it so they can see what it's like, then go back to the ressies to try to get to that level week in, week out. Currently, it looks like Dawson is getting close while Florent is improving steadily but isn't physically there yet. Hawthorn aren't all that tall in the forwards so I can't see why we'd need a third tall defender, especially with Rampe now back. To me, Melican has started to give us the balance we've lacked in defence since Ted's injuries and retirement happened.

The coaching staff know what Aliir needs to do, and once he's doing it every week he'll be back. He's still young for a KPP.

- - - Updated - - -

Aliir isn't currently in the best 22. There are those on this thread who have been calling for players like Newman, Melican and others to come in to the first team, and many more over the years, but the performances they have turned in once picked only prove that the club was right to hold them back. The coaching staff know what they want and when a young guy is ready. It's also clear that some get an early taste of it so they can see what it's like, then go back to the ressies to try to get to that level week in, week out. Currently, it looks like Dawson is getting close while Florent is improving steadily but isn't physically there yet. Hawthorn aren't all that tall in the forwards so I can't see why we'd need a third tall defender, especially with Rampe now back. To me, Melican has started to give us the balance we've lacked in defence since Ted's injuries and retirement happened.

The coaching staff know what Aliir needs to do, and once he's doing it every week he'll be back. He's still young for a KPP.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Aliir is the same spectacular player he was last year, maybe better. He's like a Buddy Franklin in the back line, but is a better mark. There's no reason to leave such a good player out of the side. He's still inexperienced, so he will make his mistakes, but he will be a superstar of the competition. Melican has being playing very well. He didn't have a breakout game until the NEAFL GF last year, but has continued on from there. He should stay. With the addition of a dynamic player like Aliir, we will be hard to stop on the rebound from defence.

About playing 3 tall defenders: We used to do it, but we haven't had the personnel in recent times. GWS, when fit early in the season, were playing 4 (Davis, Corr, Tomlinson and Haynes), but all are very mobile. Adelaide have 3 medium paced tall defenders in Talia, Hartigan and Lever, and it seems to work well.

There have been far too many times when we had small defenders finding themselves mismatched on tall forwards. Adding Aliir lessens the chance of that happening.

Sinclair may have had a good game for Sinclair, but still didn't do enough for me to keep him in the team in lieu of another midfielder like Dawson or Florent. If we bring in Aliir and Dawson, it will greatly add to our marking power around he ground.

It's not so much about who we should bring in for the Hawthorn game, but more about finding the best team before going into the bye round. Aliir is a must in that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Cunningham gave us real speed and his two goals were spectacular. He is improving and versatile and seems to play some of the time off half back. He will be missed. Would leave Jack till after the bye. Florent probably should come in with his pace and he has been freshened up
    Yes, Cunningham has been really good lately, so it's a shame that he got injured. And some of the other fringe players have been surprisingly good: Sinclair and especially Towers. Maybe their confidence is finally building?
    Mainly for that reason, I would only make the minimal change of bringing somebody in for Harry. Probably Dawson, because he's been really tearing up in the ressies and he does give us an extra midfield rotation. Though I wouldn't be disappointed if either Aliir or Florent were brought in.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, Cunningham has been really good lately, so it's a shame that he got injured. And some of the other fringe players have been surprisingly good: Sinclair and especially Towers. Maybe their confidence is finally building?
    Mainly for that reason, I would only make the minimal change of bringing somebody in for Harry. Probably Dawson, because he's been really tearing up in the ressies and he does give us an extra midfield rotation. Though I wouldn't be disappointed if either Aliir or Florent were brought in.

Agree Towers and Sinclair were very good. I think Naismith and Tippett are our best ruck combo but I would be reluctant to drop Sinclair for Sam this week. On Towers, his goal showed how athletic he is and he showed a lot of heart on that occasion. Can see why we persist with him. Great value when he doesn't think and plays on instinct.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    AA in
    Rampe can play midfield

best game ive seen Smith play for ages
    He even looked quick
    Rampe will never play wing. Far too valuable down back.

Warming the Bench
    Surprised many are calling for AA's inclusion. Our defence looked fantastic last week against the Saints, I wouldn't want to change anything. Bringing AA in would mean some positional changes and I don't think we need to be tinkering like that now we've finally hit some form. I'd be happy with either Dawson or Florent, whoever they decide to bring in I hope it's not just for one game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Agree Towers and Sinclair were very good. I think Naismith and Tippett are our best ruck combo but I would be reluctant to drop Sinclair for Sam this week. On Towers, his goal showed how athletic he is and he showed a lot of heart on that occasion. Can see why we persist with him. Great value when he doesn't think and plays on instinct.
    To me Tippett is too fragile to play ruck. Leave him playing out of the square and save his body. Our forward line had a so much better structure (we had a structure for change) with him playing full forward. With him out of the square it opened our forward line so much and allowed Papley, Hewett, Towers and the mids to chip in to kick goals.

- - - Updated - - -

To me Tippett is too fragile to play ruck. Leave him playing out of the square and save his body. Our forward line had a so much better structure (we had a structure for change) with him playing full forward. With him out of the square it opened our forward line so much and allowed Papley, Hewett, Towers and the mids to chip in to kick goals.

Rohan was very good with his pressure. So we had multiple scoring options with the 2 big pillars at CHF and FF

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast