Thread: Why RWO was down for six days

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Why RWO was down for six days

Hi guys

Sincerest apologies for the downtime since Wednesday night. Here is a simple outline of what happened.

On Wednesday night, I started the process of updating to the latest release of the forum platform. With forums, it's not as simple as double clicking on an install file unfortunately. In this case, it all went normally but when I ran the install command, it failed because of a separate compatibility issue between a script my server uses and a script V-bulletin's new version uses.

Efforts to fix that on Thursday failed. I them created a larger when reverting back to the previous V-bulletin version on Friday night. Worked out the cause over the weekend and got it fixed this afternoon.

So, the rule for me is, if there's any issue that prevents an upgrade, I'll immediately restore the previous version, get RWO back online, then work on fixing the issue before trying again.

Thanks for your patience everyone

Dan
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Almost Football Legend
    Thankfully it happened on a Premier Division bye weekend.....

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Hi guys

Sincerest apologies for the downtime since Wednesday night. Here is a simple outline of what happened.

On Wednesday night, I started the process of updating to the latest release of the forum platform. With forums, it's not as simple as double clicking on an install file unfortunately. In this case, it all went normally but when I ran the install command, it failed because of a separate compatibility issue between a script my server uses and a script V-bulletin's new version uses.

Efforts to fix that on Thursday failed. I them created a larger when reverting back to the previous V-bulletin version on Friday night. Worked out the cause over the weekend and got it fixed this afternoon.

So, the rule for me is, if there's any issue that prevents an upgrade, I'll immediately restore the previous version, get RWO back online, then work on fixing the issue before trying again.

Dan
    We appreciate the effort you put in behind the scenes to keep the wheels turning - it must be time consuming and frustrating.
    Thanks Danzar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Hi guys

Dan
    We appreciate the effort you put in behind the scenes to keep the wheels turning - it must be time consuming and frustrating.
    Thanks Danzar

Thanks Dan

I thought it was my fault and I'd forgotten my login.

Thankfully you're on the job I just about understood some of that.

Thanks for all the work you put into the site.
    it has been around for a long time and gives us a very good venue to catch up on the latest local footy news