Page 122 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,453 to 1,464 of 1579

Thread: Finals

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think the interstate clubs really have to push hard for GF's not to be locked in to the MCG....it's changing results of the most important game of the year and as such, the competition lacks credibility but we already knew that. Tigers will go down in history as deserved winners, they have been the better team but this match is at the wrong ground. How long do we have to wait for the MCG 'deal' to finish?
    About 90 years.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    For a team that haven't won for 37 years, in a city with 10 teams, how does Richmond who have been such a 9th placed embarrassment for so long have nearly 73k members?
    Even through their time in the wilderness Richmond were regarded as one of the Big Four, the others being Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton. Even the whisper of an improvement was enough to entice more fans to the MCG. Once they showed some consistently decent results there was always going to be a flood of members and/or spectators. We have seen the same phenomenon in Sydney: success=bums on seats.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Nankervis was destroyed by Jacobs! Only got a few touches in junk time.
    Disagree. Nankervis was very good. Worked hard around the ground and was at the fall of the ball to assist much mire than Jacobs. Jacobs won the hitouts but to what effect after quarter time? Centre clearances 14 to 12 to Richmond. Toby was very competitive at centre bounces both in ruck contests and when the ball was on the ground. Will always be a better player than Naismith. Is a natural footballer.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Unfortunately everything has ground to a halt footy wise in Sydney. We're not in the GF, even GWS didn't make it, and they
    were the pre season favourites. There are two boring teams there instead. No Sydney teams in the league GF either.
    Things are not going well.
    Go STORM!!!!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    For a team that haven't won for 37 years, in a city with 10 teams, how does Richmond who have been such a 9th placed embarrassment for so long have nearly 73k members?
    Bit of history HP. Richmond being one of the founding inner suburbs of Melbourne, has like Collingwood, many generations of families that have stuck fat. Also in the eighties they were a power club and many young people adopted them. Just like Hawthorn was the poor relation, the easy beats of the VFL until the 60's, and decades of success dragged in many younger people, particularly the eastern suburbs, and they were smart enough to recruit young members in that area. Both Carlton and Essendon (still healthy member numbers) have many latent supporters but you watch their memberships soar when they become successful.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Disagree. Nankervis was very good. Worked hard around the ground and was at the fall of the ball to assist much mire than Jacobs. Jacobs won the hitouts but to what effect after quarter time? Centre clearances 14 to 12 to Richmond. Toby was very competitive at centre bounces both in ruck contests and when the ball was on the ground. Will always be a better player than Naismith. Is a natural footballer.
    I think this is right. A ballup is a lottery where first hand on the ball does not guarantee possession. And once the ballup is done, the issue becomes: Who is of most value round the ground?

I am a latecomer to the game so I don't take my own ideas too seriously, but I have come to agree that one ruckman is enough. I am very happy, after this season, to have a backup like Dean Towers, who has a lot to offer in other ways. And I am still slightly peeved with Horse for putting Callum Sinclair in the ruck as often as he did in the loss to Geelong when we had the impression that Sinclair had more to offer as a tall marking forward. But I put that down to the (in my view) mistake of going into a game like that with only one - one - tall defender, which meant that one of our best forwards (Sam) was brought back to defend for anything more than the final 5 minutes for each quarter. End of rant.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    On a brighter note.....good to see Leo's mark won the fan vote for No 1 'top finals moment'! That gives the Swans three out of the top five....Leo's mark @ no. 1, Plugger's point @ no. 4 and Nick Davis 'come to save us' @ no. 5. Go Swans! On a lesser note, No. 3 should be erased from history.......last years 'fairytale'. Nothing from today's GF will ever make the top GF moments reel......pretty average game on the whole.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    agreed nico.

Seems we have constant revisionism when a player leaves to join another club (also see: Membrey, Mitchell).

Wasn't best on ground but he played a good game as he did in the Adelaide final last year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    agreed nico.

Seems we have constant revisionism when a player leaves to join another club (also see: Membrey, Mitchell).

Wasn't best on ground but he played a good game as he did in the Adelaide final last year.
    Very disappointed to see him go. I expected him to be our No.1 ruckman this year.

About 90 years.
    The AFL needs to get out of the deal if they GAF about integrity. If they stopped p1551ng cash against the wall on other crap they could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    How long do we have to wait for the MCG 'deal' to finish?
    About 90 years.
    So not quite as long as Tippett's contract. I can wait.

Bit of history HP. Richmond being one of the founding inner suburbs of Melbourne, has like Collingwood, many generations of families that have stuck fat. Also in the eighties they were a power club and many young people adopted them. Just like Hawthorn was the poor relation, the easy beats of the VFL until the 60's, and decades of success dragged in many younger people, particularly the eastern suburbs, and they were smart enough to recruit young members in that area. Both Carlton and Essendon (still healthy member numbers) have many latent supporters but you watch their memberships soar when they become successful.
    Thanks Nico.
    I sort of get it, so will Carlton go from 50k to 75k if they get a sniff of form.