Page 12 of 132 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I have never stopped believing. If we beat the bombers next week and the cats beat fremantle, the suns beat saints and north beat dogs. We are in the 8. Unlikely, but possible going on this year's results.

I am calling it now. We will win the flag this year. I have that much belief in our boys. They will create history.
    Believe in your team. Go the Bloods!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Believe in your team. Go the Bloods!!!
    +1 but can we win with the umpires against us? They've been screwing us for the last decade and cost us a premiership last year. I can just picture us in the GF against the Brave Demons getting screwed over yet again, just as we saw tonight. The umpires are either biased, influenced by headquarters or grossly incompetent. I don't buy the incompetence theory because we are consistently on the receiving end. Until this gets fixed its not an even competition.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Don't think this is a simulated ladder? Just the probability of making the 8.
    It is, yes, but it can also be interpreted as a ladder.

The finals are starting to take shape. Six teams that are almost certain to make it are Adelaide, Geelong, GWS, Melbourne, Port and Richmond. The last two places are going to be fought out among Essendon, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and Western Bulldogs.

The following games between these five sides are the most important in deciding who makes the finals:

Round 15: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast
    Round 17: St Kilda vs Essendon
    Round 18: Sydney vs St Kilda
    Round 19: Western Bulldogs vs Essendon
    Round 20: St Kilda vs West Coast

Essendon has the easiest fixture and should make the finals. They only play Adelaide out of the top 6 sides.

Our fixture has four away games against top-6 sides to come, but also five games against bottom-7 sides and an 8-point game against St Kilda. We will probably need to win at least one of the away games against Adelaide, GWS, Geelong or Melbourne to make the finals.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Its hard to tell where the swans are at. Are they back to 2016 form, or just an average side riding their luck.?

Must be hard for selectors. Just had two wins that could have easily been losses.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its hard to tell where the swans are at. Are they back to 2016 form, or just an average side riding their luck.?

Must be hard for selectors. Just had two wins that could have easily been losses.
    That is balanced by two losses that could easily have been wins: Collingwood and Hawthorn.

Veterans List
    Our fate is in our hands as we have games against most of the others vying for a place in the eight, must win the classic 8 point games starting this Friday against Melbourne. The teams that look well placed in the top of the eight also have a number of games against each other in the run home so don't think anyone is a certainty yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Our fate is in our hands as we have games against most of the others vying for a place in the eight, must win the classic 8 point games starting this Friday against Melbourne. The teams that look well placed in the top of the eight also have a number of games against each other in the run home so don't think anyone is a certainty yet.
    The Melbourne game is going to be very tough - their bravery and run with the ball looked impressive in their win against WC. Rohan Connolly wrote an interesting article pumping up their flag prospects in The Age today.

Why Melbourne can win the 2017 AFL premiership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    The Melbourne game is going to be very tough - their bravery and run with the ball looked impressive in their win against WC. Rohan Connolly wrote an interesting article pumping up their flag prospects in The Age today.

Out of our remaining games, the Melbourne game is probably going to be the most difficult to win. That's a big call with Adelaide, Geelong and GWS to come, all away. We beat Adelaide and Geelong in the finals last year and injuries have made GWS vulnerable.

Against Melbourne, the only thing in our favour is that traditionally we do well against Melbourne. We haven't lost to them for several years and we have been ahead of them on the head to head record since 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Out of our remaining games, the Melbourne game is probably going to be the most difficult to win. That's a big call with Adelaide, Geelong and GWS to come, all away. We beat Adelaide and Geelong in the finals last year and injuries have made GWS vulnerable.

Against Melbourne, the only thing in our favour is that traditionally we do well against Melbourne. We haven't lost to them for several years and we have been ahead of them on the head to head record since 1898.
    I am looking forward to the Sydney derby/showdown/battle-of-the-brdige, especially if the swans keep winning. It will be HUGE.

Melbourne still need to prove themselves against the top sides. Their run home includes games against Adelaide, GWS and Port Adelaide. They will need to win at least one of them - perhaps more - to be a genuine premiership chance. They're not good enough to win the flag from fifth or sixth due to lack of finals experience. They also play Sydney and we have been a difficult opponent for them recently. Their other games are all winnable: Carlton, North, St Kilda, Brisbane and Collingwood.

Their form has been somewhat inconsistent. Their losses include Fremantle (2 points), Hawthorn (3 points) and North Melbourne (14 points), and they have also beaten Adelaide by 41 points and Western Bulldogs by 57 points. IMO they need to gain finals experience before they can be a genuine premiership chance. The last side to win a premiership without playing in the finals in either of the previous two years was Adelaide in 1997.

They are coming off a second six day break returning from Perth, plus they've got half a dozen players out including Watts, Hogan, Salem etc. and Viney is pretty banged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They are coming off a second six day break returning from Perth, plus they've got half a dozen players out including Watts, Hogan, Salem etc. and Viney is pretty banged up.
    These are all things that work in our favour, but the output from their lesser-likes, who play with dare, is what worries me.

Either way, I'll be there with my son cheering as loud as I can - go Bloods!