Page 23 of 132 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    With the week off before finals fifth might be better than fourth
    Top 4 remains unlikely but in this topsy turvy season, who knows.

I like old man Teddy's analogy of the Swans season - sums it up to a tee

Ted Richards on Twitter: "Still chopping #AFLGiantsSwans https://t.co/IXijYuO7Li"
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I've changed my mind.
    We just might be more than fodder.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

"FOR THE sake of fairness, Sydney CEO Andrew Ireland believes any final hosted by Greater Western Sydney should be held at ANZ Stadium."

Bring back ANZ Stadium for all-Sydney final: Swans - M.afl.com.au

"Ireland also threw up the controversial option of the SCG, which can hold 46,000, something Swans chairman Andrew Pridham agreed with."

"The SCG would be my pick � I'm being serious," Pridham said.

Bring back ANZ. Lols, no ROFLOL!

Veterans List
    Just perused the final six rounds, other than our games, there are twenty other games where teams still in the race for a final 8 berth play each other so plenty of opportunity for teams to push up or drop out. Here's a quick summary

This week we have games between contenders Melb-Port, Richmond-GWS, Adel-Geelong and of course Swans-Saints.

Round 20 is a biggie, Geelong-Swans, WCE-Saints, Richmond-Hawks, GWS-Melb, Adel-Port.

Final round is also huge, WCE-Adel, Geelong-GWS, Richmond-Saints, Dogs-Hawks.

Playing 5 contenders over the last 6 rounds, Adel, GWS, Saints. Saints look like missing out, particularly if we beat them this week.

Playing 4 contenders over the last 6 rounds, Swans, Richmond, Geelong, Dogs. Dogs with a tough run and lots of ground to make up, no fairytale this year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Pre emptive strike by the club to put the AFL on notice (if there's anyone left at the AFL to take notice) that we had to play at ANZ last year for our home final so GWS will have to this year. You can't have a final that 60,000+ want to attend at a 23,000 capacity stadium.

Difficult to tell on TV as you can't see the home stand but what was the make up of the 21,000 record crowd Saturday night, it sounded 50/50.

Only 21k went to the Derby. Spotless still has another 15% capacity headroom.

Plonk some temporary stands at the scoreboard end.

I agree it is a pre-emptive strike. Does anyone know if the ANZ stands are now being left in the rectangular format rather than being moved back as used to happen when we played out there? I am wondering what state the grass would be in for a one-off match - it was always a problem even when our matches were scheduled and therefore the grounds staff presumably pre-planned for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I agree it is a pre-emptive strike. Does anyone know if the ANZ stands are now being left in the rectangular format rather than being moved back as used to happen when we played out there? I am wondering what state the grass would be in for a one-off match - it was always a problem even when our matches were scheduled and therefore the grounds staff presumably pre-planned for them.
    Play it at the SCG would be my preference for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    While GWS are in the comp, there's always hope!

I read an article today that suggested that GWS were talking about plans to increase the showground capacity to 35,000. That would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Play it at the SCG would be my preference for multiple reasons.
    Well yes, and both Ireland and Pridham said that would be their first choice. And once ANZ is turned into a permanent rectangular format it would appear to be the only practical option in the event of a Swans v GWS final. But I can't see it happening this year - the outrage would be too extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    To answer my own question:

"It (the ANZ Stadium) has operated as a rectangular ground since last year's historic final. If the ground was to be reconfigured for AFL, the stadium would need to lay new grass on both wings under the seating which has been brought forward. The costs would be prohibitively significant and it's understood no plan has been put in place."

And the unsurprising GWS view:

"If we were to earn a home final and meet the Swans, we'd be guided by the AFL as to the venue � it would be played at Spotless at this stage unless the AFL reaches an agreement with ANZ Stadium," a club spokesperson told Fairfax Media.

"We would be open to playing at ANZ but a Giants home final would obviously not be played at the SCG."

Prospect of ANZ Stadium hosting GWS-Swans AFL final