Page 31 of 132 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    The finals is my biggest gripe when it comes to the consistency of the mrp. Everyone bar media sycophants & Geelong supporters can see that Dangerfield should get a week but won't because of the Brownlow but it's not the Brownlow I get concerned about when you get one rule for your average joe player n one for the stars it's that it can have a big effect on ladder positions thus effecting finals. If Dangerfield doesn't play we go in favourites and have a very good chance of winning. A win or loss from here on can make a huge difference. Geelong lose n they could easily end up playing port in Adelaide instead of Geelong. And a win gives us half a chance at a top 4 spot.
    I agree. I wish they would take the fairest part out of Brownlow consideration, because if Danger gets off because of that, which is very possible, it compromises the integrity of the competition for the premiership, which should take precedent.

Suppose Danger gets off and Buddy gets a week for those incidents with Hodge. This place will explode. Maybe the MRP will rule that Kreuzer was concussed by hitting a dense pocket of air between his head and the ground.

Even if we win all 4 remaining games we are still likely to miss top 4. We have to win 3 to be sure of top 8. If we win only 2 we will have to depend on other results going our way. A Bulldogs victory today would help a bit. In any case, if we lose to both Geelong and Adelaide you would think we would just be making up the numbers for the premiership.

We need to get players who can win us a premiership even if it means taken a chance on a few players with not much as far as senior games this year. Naismith, Sinclair, Robbo, Foote and even Hayward are not going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree. I wish they would take the fairest part out of Brownlow consideration, because if Danger gets off because of that, which is very possible, it compromises the integrity of the competition for the premiership, which should take precedent.

Suppose Danger gets off and Buddy gets a week for those incidents with Hodge. This place will explode. Maybe the MRP will rule that Kreuzer was concussed by hitting a dense pocket of air between his head and the ground.

Even if we win all 4 remaining games we are still likely to miss top 4. We have to win 3 to be sure of top 8. If we win only 2 we will have to depend on other results going our way. A Bulldogs victory today would help a bit. In any case, if we lose to both Geelong and Adelaide you would think we would just be making up the numbers for the premiership.

We need to get players who can win us a premiership even if it means taken a chance on a few players with not much as far as senior games this year. Naismith, Sinclair, Robbo, Foote and even Hayward are not going to cut it.
    My predictor has us missing the top 4 by a game behind Richmond. But because our percentage is better an extra win means a lot. The predictor I did has us finishing 6th. Why is it so bad and earth shattering if he misses a Brownlow due to suspension? He performed a reportable act n that's it. I don't hear anyone jumping in saying they should give Chris Grant a medal n his suspension was done through the intervention from an afl official. Or is it cause Dangerfield passes the good bloke test n his skits are so so funny ????

Buddy's tackle started at hodges shoulders n slipped up.

We only need 12 wins to make finals. our percentage is good enough. Obviously 13 or 14 gets is a chance at a home final.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We only need 12 wins to make finals. our percentage is good enough. Obviously 13 or 14 gets is a chance at a home final.
    12 and a good percentage would probably be enough for eighth. Take a look at the run home for the other contenders for the last three spots in the finals (8-point games bolded):

Melbourne: GWS, St Kilda, Brisbane, Collingwood. 1-3 wins, 2 most likely. (12 wins)
    Western Bulldogs: Brisbane, GWS, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn. 1-3 wins, 2 most likely. (12 wins)
    Essendon: Carlton, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Fremantle. 3 wins likely. (12 wins)
    West Coast: (leading against Brisbane), St Kilda, Carlton, GWS, Adelaide. 2-3 wins, 3 wins likely. (12 wins)
    St Kilda: West Coast, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond. 1-3 wins, 2 wins likely. (11 wins)
    Hawthorn: Richmond, North Melbourne, Carlton, Western Bulldogs. 2-3 wins, assume 3. (11.5 wins)

No side has an easy run, and it is not difficult to imagine that the sides 6th to 10th all have 12 wins, as I have suggested here (assuming the Swans win only two games, I think we will win three). If 12 wins were insufficient, that would require three sides performing very well and several of these contenders play each other.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

If:
    • We only win 2
    • Melbourne win 3
    • WB win 3
    • Essendon win 4 (Have home game v Adelaide and the other games look like winners) or win 3 with good percentage.

we would miss the finals.

All very plausible.

Injuries and MRP could have a big impact on the outcome of the Geelong match. It's really a critical game that we have to get up for in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If:
    • We only win 2
    • Melbourne win 3
    • WB win 3
    • Essendon win 4 (Have home game v Adelaide and the other games look like winners) or win 3 with good percentage.

we would miss the finals.

All very plausible.
    Possible and plausible yes, but more a mathematical possibility than anything.

Percentage will be key. We have a good advantage here.

Sydney 114.7
    Melbourne 107.3
    Essendon 107.1
    West Coast 105.9
    Western Bulldogs 100.3
    St Kilda 96.7

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Possible and plausible yes, but more a mathematical possibility than anything.

Percentage will be key. We have a good advantage here.

Sydney 114.7
    Melbourne 107.3
    Essendon 107.1
    West Coast 105.9
    Western Bulldogs 100.3
    St Kilda 96.7
    I don't think our percentage advantage is big enough, particularly over someone like Essendon who have yet to play Carlton, Gold Coast and Freo

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I don't think our percentage advantage is big enough, particularly over someone like Essendon who have yet to play Carlton, Gold Coast and Freo
    We also play Carlton and Freo in the last four weeks.

On the veteran's list
    If we only win 2 of the last four we are in treacherous waters. I hate to say it, but the team we really need to barrack for strongly is GWS. Need them to beat Melbourne next week in Canberra and then WCE and WB later on. Adelaide wins against WCE and Essendon would also be handy, (but not as handy as losing to us to give us 3 wins perhaps!)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I'm pleased to see 5 teams outside Victoria in the top 8 ATM.
    Sydneys two losses to Hawthorn have been diabolical to their chances however and now the injury toll is mounting.
    No way they are a 5/1 contender .

Veterans List
    Could be out of the 8 after this weekend. Hawthorn loss was one we could ill afford plus we now appear to have an injury list mounting and very little AFL standard depth.

GWS, what can you make of them at present, lucky to get over Freo at home.

GWS starting to get players back and two "home" games back to back should see a revival. Deludio will be back in the side this week. Can't see them falling out of top 4, but top 2 unlikely.