Page 32 of 132 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals

Senior Player

Finals

Unfortunately in addition to the should-wins (Freo, Blues), we need at least one and probably more of Hawks, Geelong and Adelaide, all away. And one of those is gone. And now some injuries to key players.

It's been a great run after the horror start, but there's no escaping the horror start. Was always going to be a big ask when no one has ever done it from 0-4 start. I know it's easy to look back and identify key "should have" moments but...that Carlton loss in round 6, a real nadir.

I'm not giving up hope though! It's not over until it's mathematically over.
    Last edited by neilfws; 31st July 2017 at 02:38 PM.

Christ I'd never want to go into battle with the majority of you. You'd all turn n run just as your enlisted. We're 6th on the ladder n have a healthy percentage. Have the best form over the last two months of any side. Have arguably the best forward playing the game, one of the best midfields, playing a side we comfortably beat at their home last year who could possibly be without their best player n you lot have thrown the towel in already for finals footy after a game we just lost by a goal playing our worst footy in a few months. Do any of you really think the club, the admin, the players, the coaching staff, ffs even the boot studder thinks like this?

You tell em Boddo ..... where there's still 22 reasonably fit men to walk across the white line .... there's still lots of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Christ I'd never want to go into battle with the majority of you. You'd all turn n run just as your enlisted. We're 6th on the ladder n have a healthy percentage. Have the best form over the last two months of any side. Have arguably the best forward playing the game, one of the best midfields, playing a side we comfortably beat at their home last year who could possibly be without their best player n you lot have thrown the towel in already for finals footy after a game we just lost by a goal playing our worst footy in a few months. Do any of you really think the club, the admin, the players, the coaching staff, ffs even the boot studder thinks like this?
    Thought I was the only one confused by all the doom and gloom around here! Good to see there are still some positive fans around.

Nice little reality check - we're well placed right now and if we win 2 out of the last 4 games we're near certainties for finals. If we can escape any major injuries heading in to the finals then we're capable of beating every side in the 8.

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Thought I was the only one confused by all the doom and gloom around here! Good to see there are still some positive fans around.

Nice little reality check - we're well placed right now and if we win 2 out of the last 4 games we're near certainties for finals. If we can escape any major injuries heading in to the finals then we're capable of beating every side in the 8.
    It's just laughable that some here think we'll miss finals.

Senior Player
    Gold, Boddo. We have proved time and again for many years now we can beat anyone. Do you think the other teams aren't carrying a bunch of injured/worn out guys around? of course they are, it's round 19. We just need to go down to Skilled and humiliate the Cats like just we did in the finals last year (that game was over at quarter time).
    Adelaide? also finals fodder for us last year. Carlton are done for the year, and Freo let the Giants have 14 scoring shots in the last quarter out at Spotless on Saturday arvo.
    I wouldn't have thought it would be physically possible to have that many scoring shots in a quarter of footy, but against Freo it is. We can win all of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post

So back to the finals conversation. Does anyone think it's the end of the world n there's no chance at finals now after finding out Dangerfield will be out this week?

I think we can lose to kitty cats and crows and still finish 6th.

We have really good form against Geelong, probably the best of anyone in the comp. And we've been down to Simonds Stadium and beaten them several times. But it's still a pretty massive task to go down there and win. I'm pretty sure they'll be out for vengeance after we gave them a lesson last year.

On the bright side, if we go down and win, we can afford to lose to the Crows and make the 8 (assuming we can dispose of Freo and Carlton), so we should really give it everything.

There's nothing I would like more than seeing the smile wiped off Selwood's face.

Bookies have us both on $1.92

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    We have really good form against Geelong, probably the best of anyone in the comp. And we've been down to Simonds Stadium and beaten them several times. But it's still a pretty massive task to go down there and win. I'm pretty sure they'll be out for vengeance after we gave them a lesson last year.

On the bright side, if we go down and win, we can afford to lose to the Crows and make the 8 (assuming we can dispose of Freo and Carlton), so we should really give it everything.

There's nothing I would like more than seeing the smile wiped off Selwood's face.

Bookies have us both on $1.92
    We have beaten Geelong twice out of the last 10 or so times at Geelong - granted it is close to the best record of any club down there (port maybe the other one close), but all in all its still a graveyard trip more often then not. But we do have a good recent record against the Cats.

Huge game for us - we have the game style that really troubles the current Cats team, so hopefully it means we can get the job done on Friday night.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Looks like Geelong will contest the Dangerfield suspension. Wouldn't mind betting he gets off and the perception will be that the system worked well. MRP did their job and the tribunal does theirs. Mick Warner on the couch found a clause that said the tribunal can still give him 1 week (in lieu of the 2 weeks before taking the early plea) even if he is found guilty. Why wouldn't Geelong contest if they have nothing to lose?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Our recent form is the best of anyone in the competition.

Geelong's last five games against each side

Adelaide: 4 wins 1 loss
    Brisbane Lions: 5 wins (streak: 7)
    Carlton: 4 wins 1 loss
    Collingwood: 2 wins 3 losses
    Essendon: 4 wins 1 loss
    Fremantle: 4 wins 1 loss
    Gold Coast: 3 wins 2 losses
    GWS Giants: 3 wins 1 loss 1 draw
    Hawthorn: 4 wins 1 loss
    Melbourne: 4 wins 1 loss
    North Melbourne: 2 wins 3 losses