Page 46 of 132 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Crowd makes up a small part of home ground advantage. It's playing on the ground often, being used to the size and conditions, keeping a normal routine, and all sorts of other small things. Travel, especially back to back travel is especially difficult to overcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the 7th ranked team got to host the 1st ranked team. In any comp in the world that is crazy.
    That's odd, I didn't notice the grand final being playing at Docklands

Yes, the 7th ranked team got to host the 1st ranked team. In any comp in the world that is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Got a full side and can't beat a savagely depleted Geelong. Haven't helped our top 4 cause either. Looking very much like 6th unless we can beat Crows next week.
    Two more Swans win and one more Richmond loss would see us in fourth place (depending on PA percentage). That's a distinct possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Can't think of another player in the comp who would do what Greene did after receiving a handball. Clever in its own way but not really in the spirit of the game and he should suffer consequences so it is stamped out. Face full of stops(cleats) no fun.
    I agree. The panel/tribunal can't conclude it was intentional due to lack of evidence but I'd say it was. He was using his leg to protect himself and make space which sounds fair enough until you raise the leg to face-height and then point the studs at the oncoming face. We don't want to see more of that on footy fields and that is why I think they should consider it unreasonable rough conduct. Compare it with Tippett lifting his knee when taking a mark and I think it was Heater running face first into it at full pelt and Heater missing weeks as a result of his injuries a couple of seasons back. This was much worse by Greene albeit with lesser injuries because Dahlhaus wasn't at full pace. If Tippett had given Heater a face full of boot studs he might easily have lost an eye. If we want to have the same attitude as with pinning arms and jumper punches, you stamp it out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post

Still undeservedly snug in their own beds and own backyard

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I agree. The panel/tribunal can't conclude it was intentional due to lack of evidence but I'd say it was. He was using his leg to protect himself and make space which sounds fair enough until you raise the leg to face-height and then point the studs at the oncoming face. We don't want to see more of that on footy fields and that is why I think they should consider it unreasonable rough conduct. Compare it with Tippett lifting his knee when taking a mark and I think it was Heater running face first into it at full pelt and Heater missing weeks as a result of his injuries a couple of seasons back. This was much worse by Greene albeit with lesser injuries because Dahlhaus wasn't at full pace. If Tippett had given Heater a face full of boot studs he might easily have lost an eye. If we want to have the same attitude as with pinning arms and jumper punches, you stamp it out.
    Admirably expressed and couldn't agree more BS

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't studs up supposed to be a red card in soccer?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Ah Wretchmond, you can rely on them falling over their own shoe laces at critical times, it's why no one takes them seriously.

Got a full side and can't beat a savagely depleted Geelong. Haven't helped our top 4 cause either. Looking very much like 6th unless we can beat Crows next week.
    We are not out of contention for the top four yet. All that has to happen is for us to win the last two and for Richmond to lose one game or for Geelong to lose both games.

We have Adelaide (away) and Carlton (home). Adelaide is difficult to beat at home but not impossible. At home, they've lost to Melbourne by 41 and Hawthorn by 14. They are beatable.
    Richmond have Fremantle (away) and St Kilda (home). They should beat Fremantle but they got flogged by the Saints a month ago and they could lose to them again.
    Geelong have Collingwood (away) and GWS Giants (home). They lost to Collingwood by 29 points in round 6 and drew with GWS in round 15. They could lose both games.

Fourth place is still possible, but I think we will end up fifth.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

The Tigers are as reliable as a Perth meat pie saved for opposition fans ....

Yeah, I think top 4 is beyond its now. But 5th is almost a lock.

Veterans List
    Yeah, I think top 4 is beyond its now. But 5th is almost a lock.
    Port are also ahead of us with a couple of easy games to come so probably 6th, still a home final, if we won that then I'm not sure whether we'd then play the loser of 1v4 or 2v3.

Or we can win next week and march into the top four.

I think you're right, 707, and barry is underestimating Port for 5th. Not only do we have to win the same number of games as Port but we also have to keep our percentage better. And that will be difficult because we have to play the Crows and they don't. Doesn't make much difference anyway. Unless it means we stand to play Geelong in a semi-final.

Dream scenario: we beat the Crows and then the Saints beat the Tiges and we get a chance of hosting a prelim!!! Although it would be heartbreaking if those two things happen but Port winds up in front of us on percentage. For this reason I will hope that Port narrowly beats the Dogs next week: knock out the Dogs and dial down Port's percentage in one go.

Veterans List
    West Coast look gone, struggled to beat Carlton and next week GWS in Sydney then Crows in Perth. I'll be pissed if Dogs scrape into the 8 so also hoping for a narrow loss to Port next week but gee Port are flaky.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Port are also ahead of us with a couple of easy games to come so probably 6th, still a home final, if we won that then I'm not sure whether we'd then play the loser of 1v4 or 2v3.
    Loser of 1st vs 4th plays the winner of 5th vs 8th
    Loser of 2nd vs 3rd plays the winner of 6th vs 7th

This is why fifth would be a decent spot - the first final is a home final against the theoretically weakest side in the finals. Win that, and the next final could be an evenly-matched away final against the fourth-placed side.

We wouldn't get a home preliminary final, but if we're good enough we can beat anyone, anywhere.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final