Page 9 of 132 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Oh, and what was the reason that the AFL gave for shifting our home final to ANZ? Was it that the SCG wouldn't be able to hold the bumper crowd? Surely that would apply to Spotless, given that it's half the size of the SCG?
    as I understood it last year the AFL was still under contract to ANZ stadium to hold all swans home finals there. They had broken the contact for the home and away games ( as we remember the Collingwood opening round nonsense) but those negotiations didn't include breaking the contract for any finals game that may have been there.

It's not overly relevant this year though because the Swans won't finish high enough to host a final anyway even if we do make the top 8 I'm sure it will be only scraping into 7th or 8th. So we loose the right to host at the scg

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    as I understood it last year the AFL was still under contract to ANZ stadium to hold all swans home finals there. They had broken the contact for the home and away games ( as we remember the Collingwood opening round nonsense) but those negotiations didn't include breaking the contract for any finals game that may have been there.

It's not overly relevant this year though because the Swans won't finish high enough to host a final anyway even if we do make the top 8 I'm sure it will be only scraping into 7th or 8th. So we loose the right to host at the scg
    Well, yes and no. While there seemed to be separate contracts for the finals and the regular season, the AFL's position at the time, was that we could host finals at the SCG, except if we were to host the Giants. The reason that they gave, was that the game would draw a larger crowd than the SCG could hold. So, if the AFL were to be consistent (big if), then if we had to move a home final away from the SCG, to accommodate a larger crowd, then there's even more reason for a home final to moved away from Spotless.
    And as an aside, I haven't given up hope of finishing above the Giants. I mean, if their injuries keep going, they may end up getting down to their last half dozen or so top three draft picks and then who knows what will happen.

Veterans List
    8 point games, 8 point games, 8 point games .........

Got to win the 8 point games, Essendon, Melbourne, St.Kilda and hopefully snag one or two of GWS, Geelong, Crows.

8 point games, 8 point games, 8 point games .........

My advice, go ahead and accept the wedding invitations for September.
    If we DO make it to the finals, it will only be as fodder.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I tend to agree, but it is an exciting 3 weeks we have against other 8th spot contenders right now.

We can only lose 3, and we play WC in perth, Geelong in Geelong, and GWS at spotless. 3 almost certain losses. So we have to win every other game... and thats just to get into 8th spot.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I tend to agree, but it is an exciting 3 weeks we have against other 8th spot contenders right now.

We can only lose 3, and we play WC in perth, Geelong in Geelong, and GWS at spotless. 3 almost certain losses. So we have to win every other game... and thats just to get into 8th spot.
    We don't play West Coast in Perth. We've already played (and lost) that fixture. We do, however, play Adelaide in Adelaide.

They are three likely losses but not "almost certain" losses. GWS' injury woes introduce some chance into that fixture and we've beaten both the other clubs at their home grounds in recent seasons. But yes, the Swans will have to put together a half season of almost impeccable football to reach the finals, and continue to have a good run with injury.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    You are probably right ... but ... it is a strange season. There are 10 games to go. We are only two games off fourth spot (with good percentage that will keep rising if we keep winning) and at our best (such as the second half on the weekend), there is no team we can't beat. Anything could happen.

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs showed last year that momentum at the right end of the season can be a juggernaut (with the help of umpires).

Pure optimism, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We don't play West Coast in Perth. We've already played (and lost) that fixture. We do, however, play Adelaide in Adelaide.

They are three likely losses but not "almost certain" losses. GWS' injury woes introduce some chance into that fixture and we've beaten both the other clubs at their home grounds in recent seasons. But yes, the Swans will have to put together a half season of almost impeccable football to reach the finals, and continue to have a good run with injury.
    Yeah, Adelaide. My bad.

I actually think that 11 wins may get you into 8th this year with the evenness of the comp.. As long as beat the other 8th spot contenders.

If we can win the next 2 games, which won't be easy, we should find ourselves in the eight.

I don't think any other team is unbeatable this year, so I'll remain optimistic for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    You are probably right ... but ... it is a strange season. There are 10 games to go. We are only two games off fourth spot (with good percentage that will keep rising if we keep winning) and at our best (such as the second half on the weekend), there is no team we can't beat. Anything could happen.

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs showed last year that momentum at the right end of the season can be a juggernaut (with the help of umpires).

We wont get this so don't put it into any of your calculations.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Oh, and what was the reason that the AFL gave for shifting our home final to ANZ? Was it that the SCG wouldn't be able to hold the bumper crowd? Surely that would apply to Spotless, given that it's half the size of the SCG?
    I'm sure that Gill made a comment earlier in the season that if the Giants hosted a final against us that it would be at ANZ. Now of course knowing the AFL , they like to make up the rules as they go so this could change .

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    .....Meanwhile, the Bulldogs showed last year that momentum at the right end of the season can be a juggernaut (with the help of umpires).

Optimism about the umpires I assume and not the team!