Thread: Is it time for local footy to go alcohol free?

Is it time for local footy to go alcohol free?

Just reading another thread where alcohol fuelled activities of supporters has caused problems at games.

I try and get to most SFL Grand Finals and there is more often than not a problem with alcohol fueled issues.

I'm no wowser but is it time the NSWAFL took the lead on this as a sport and made our game day environment alcohol free? It's not without precedent as the leading community based comp in the land (probably in any sport) has done it, I am referring of course to the VAFA. If the Ammos can make it work why can't we?

Nobody isn't saying the players can't have a beer, as many as they like, after the game in a licensed venue after the games have finished but if we are seriously looking at creating a healthy, inclusive environment then I think we should seriously debate this. I have never seen anyone in my life who is a better version of themselves when drunk and it creates a terrible environment for the Under 19s to be part of and a most unpleasant match day experience for parents, girlfriends, wives and children.

I know that many will come on here and say that the revenue lost will be crucial and I get that but I do believe that there should be options to replace that revenue should we take the lead here, surely the public health authorities would be prepared to back the change financially as well provide some healthy PR for the league.

A genuine question for those of you in clubland.

They actually put out a reminder yesterday about the alcohol policy with some teams bringing their own and not buying from the clubs.

I get both sides of it which is really something because I'd be one of the main people for sledging and making an idiot of themselves. It can be a bad look and things get taken too far when a whole group of guys or a whole club is getting on the beers but for the most part is ok.

I do like how some clubs like Manly have brought in craft beers and do a deal with a manly beer cooler, much better than our vb or tooheys tinnies.

But at the same time, I love spending my Saturday having a few beers and watching the footy. I don't get to as many NRL games any more because they serve midstrength @@@@ for $8. Better off watching at the pub or at home. I probably wouldn't hang around for all 5 games on club day if there was no beers. I like having a beer when I watch the footy.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    They actually put out a reminder yesterday about the alcohol policy with some teams bringing their own and not buying from the clubs.

I get both sides of it which is really something because I'd be one of the main people for sledging and making an idiot of themselves. It can be a bad look and things get taken too far when a whole group of guys or a whole club is getting on the beers but for the most part is ok.

I do like how some clubs like Manly have brought in craft beers and do a deal with a manly beer cooler, much better than our vb or tooheys tinnies.

But at the same time, I love spending my Saturday having a few beers and watching the footy. I don't get to as many NRL games any more because they serve midstrength @@@@ for $8. Better off watching at the pub or at home. I probably wouldn't hang around for all 5 games on club day if there was no beers. I like having a beer when I watch the footy.
    Well the NSWAFL reminder seems as pathetic as the NSWAFL itself. The issue shouldn't be the clubs bringing their own beer, though that is poor form and Parra used to be the worst re that, but the whole drinking culture. And I fail to see why Manly, who in m experience provide one of the most appalling match day experiences with their drunken idiots up on that "grandstand" having craft beer make the situation change.

I am as much as a @@@@ as the next bloke when I've had a belly full of beer but I just wonder if we need to ask ourselves what we want the comp to be. If we want a family friendly, female friendly and a healthy environment for young men looking for good role models then I think going alcohol free is the way forward but I accept that many of us enjoy a drink amongst friends and that will be missed. I'm just suggesting it may be a price worth paying. Also, I suspect that more people would go back to the pub for a drink after the game if the actual venue was AF