Thread: Best 22

Best 22

There have been quite a few calls for Aliir to come into the team. There are also the imminent returns of stalwarts McVeigh and KJ. Along with Ludwigs repeated calls for a lone ruckman. So it got me thinking, we have played enough games now to get an idea of best 22. FWIW, below is my best 22. And this is based on all players being fit and playing a lone ruckman.
    B Aliir Grundy Smith
    HB Rampe Melican Mills
    C Lloyd Hannebery Jones
    Fol Tippett Kennedy Parker
    HF Heeney Franklin Hayward*
    F Papley Reid Rohan
    I/C Hewett, Newman*, Towers*, Cunningham* (Florent)

Emg: McVeigh, K Jack, Naismith, Sinclair, Dawson, Marsh

For me, the only negotiables * above are Hayward, Newman, Towers, Cunningham. But IMO they hold their place because they are in form, bring something to the team and best suit team structures and balance. As evidenced by this weeks selection, Florent is a like for like for Cunningham so holds his place until he returns.

Like many others, I like the idea of Rampe and Aliir in the side as it provides us so much flexibility.
    - Both can play tall if the opposition play 3 tall forwards.
    - Both can provide that intercept marking ability that is very important in setting up your rebound.
    - Both have the pace, attacking instincts and accurate kick to provide that rebound into attack.
    - Both can be interchangeable between defence and half back.
    - It also allows Mills to have a midfield presence.

Obviously my best 22 team structure relies on a lone ruckman. With Reid, Towers and Aliir providing relief. But who out of our three ruckman can handle that role, I�m not so sure. If Tippett was playing like he was last year before he got injured, then he is the man. Naismith continues to battle knee injuries and must be losing match fitness. Sinkers has stepped up the last few weeks, and arguably has the better form of the three options at the moment. Against that structure, is Horse loves to play with three tall forwards. You can�t take the forward out of the coach.

Also, the elephants in the room I guess are McVeigh and KJ. Do they automatically command a place in the team. IMO they don�t.
    McVeigh � what is his best positon in the team. Half-back I suppose. He doesn�t have the pace (or calf/hamstrings) for the wing and couldn�t displace one of our midfielders. So he would be fighting for a spot with Newman. But what Newman has served up last couple of weeks, he must hold his spot.
    KJ � a bit like McVeigh, his spot in the team is restricted to perhaps a half-forward role. The only person that I could see him displacing would be Hayward or Towers. But I�m not convinced he would be bringing anymore than these two currently are.

I agree with your best 22, given the uncertainly with KJ. He's only 29 (30 next month), so he should have a few more good years ahead of him barring injury. He doesn't have to return to AA form, but if he plays as well as last year, he's in our best 22. I'm not sure who would go out, probably Hayward at this stage, despite how well he's been playing. Next year will be a lot harder with several new players challenging for spots. We've got a very promising rookie list and it seems likely rookies will be able to play senior footy next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree with your best 22, given the uncertainly with KJ. He's only 29 (30 next month), so he should have a few more good years ahead of him barring injury. He doesn't have to return to AA form, but if he plays as well as last year, he's in our best 22. I'm not sure who would go out, probably Hayward at this stage, despite how well he's been playing. Next year will be a lot harder with several new players challenging for spots. We've got a very promising rookie list and it seems likely rookies will be able to play senior footy next year.
    Ludwig, very disappointed that you are OK with that ruck set up.