Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 9: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves @ Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You want more than Rohan and McVeigh. Just go through the list of underperformers.

Selection cost us a flag last year and it's the reason we are 3-7 now.
    The list is full of underperformed players this year. It's why we have already used so many players as it is. Aliir lost his spot due to basically not doing the correct thing when played n then when given a chance again he slept in, that's under 9's stuff. He'll have to earn his place again just like Melican earnt his. Injury n the worst umpiring in any grand final in any league in Australia in my lifetime cost us the grand final. Talia I agree needs to be tried at some stage but at the moment there is just no spot for him, if Grundy, Melican or Rampe went down or lost form yes I agree he'll get a chance but there is no room atm. You said after the 3 wins Aliir & Talia should be in. So again after that win against St Kilda who should have been dropped for those 2?

So we've kept Allir out of the team, and consequently blown our chances of finals to punish him for sleeping him.
    Punish him, punish the team, punish the fans. Not exactly win, win?

So we've kept Allir out of the team, and consequently blown our chances of finals to punish him for sleeping him.
    Punish him, punish the team, punish the fans. Not exactly win, win?
    He got picked and then played very very poorly then went back & got some form and missed a compulsory training session when picked again. So was dropped. In any top level sport there will be ramifications. You either live in a cave or have no semblance of what's required in professional sport if you think he should not have been disciplined. You still will not answer who you were dropping for Talia & Aliir?

Barry, you made your point. Obviously things are a bit raw here after another loss. Give it a rest before you sink the boot in?

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    He got picked and then played very very poorly then went back & got some form and missed a compulsory training session when picked again. So was dropped. In any top level sport there will be ramifications. You either live in a cave or have no semblance of what's required in professional sport if you think he should not have been disciplined. You still will not answer who you were dropping for Talia & Aliir?
    I hope Barry doesn't mind if I try to answer for him, because in the Changes thread I was calling for playing Aliir and dropping Sinclair, so that's one change. I don't think it's quite time to drop Reg, but if Talia continues with his good form in the reserves, that's where the change is likely to come.

It's just conjecture to try to predict what might have happened if Aliir was in for Sinclair, but it certainly would have been more helpful to have another quick defender in the game instead of a player hanging around in the midfield waiting to drop the ball in a marking contest.

I wouldn't go so far as Barry and say we lost the game at the selection table, but this ridiculous playing of 2 ruckmen, neither of whom are particularly good, has not made much sense to me. Aliir playing some time in the ruck may foreshadow a change in thinking at the club.

A lot follows from how a team plays the stoppages. Naismith is the only ruckman we have who we can reasonably expect to hit out to advantage. He's too injury prone and not good enough around the ground to base a stoppage game on that. It makes so much more sense to plan for some counter-play around the stoppages and present a variety of 'looks' so the opposition can't anticipate our tactics at a particular stoppage. Then it doesn't really matter if our ruckman is injured or out of form, because our game plan won't depend on having a dominant tap ruckman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I hope Barry doesn't mind if I try to answer for him, because in the Changes thread I was calling for playing Aliir and dropping Sinclair, so that's one change. I don't think it's quite time to drop Reg, but if Talia continues with his good form in the reserves, that's where the change is likely to come.

It's just conjecture to try to predict what might have happened if Aliir was in for Sinclair, but it certainly would have been more helpful to have another quick defender in the game instead of a player hanging around in the midfield waiting to drop the ball in a marking contest.

I wouldn't go so far as Barry and say we lost the game at the selection table, but this ridiculous playing of 2 ruckmen, neither of whom are particularly good, has not made much sense to me. Aliir playing some time in the ruck may foreshadow a change in thinking at the club.

A lot follows from how a team plays the stoppages. Naismith is the only ruckman we have who we can reasonably expect to hit out to advantage. He's too injury prone and not good enough around the ground to base a stoppage game on that. It makes so much more sense to plan for some counter-play around the stoppages and present a variety of 'looks' so the opposition can't anticipate our tactics at a particular stoppage. Then it doesn't really matter if our ruckman is injured or out of form, because our game plan won't depend on having a dominant tap ruckman.
    We are forced to play 2 rucks due to both not being much chop atm. Me personally I think Aliir should be in the side but to say after 3 straight wins n some pretty good form to drop someone for both Aliir & Talia is rediculous. Aliir played ruck as a junior in Queensland n wasn't much then came to WA n was tried in a number of positions with defence being his best spot by a country mile. I watched him live a few times & can't see him making it as a ruck. Talia is good depth imo but that's it unless he shows a bit this year, which he might due his career being on the line. To even think both are the key to our side turning around is delusional at best. Aliir is a small part of the solution to the problem. Our ruck division is a big problem not just structurally but also TPP wise. We have so much money tied up in our ruck division n it's just not paying its way. If we had another key forward you could play Reid as ruck relief but like I've said a number of times when it comes to key forwards the cupboard is basically bare.

Suffice to say, our selection policy is not about picking the best 22 players.
    That only lead s one way.. team disharmony. Which is where we are at.

Suffice to say, our selection policy is not about picking the best 22 players.
    Suffice to say, our selection policy is not to let you pick the best 22 players.

I'm content with that policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    We are forced to play 2 rucks due to both not being much chop atm. Me personally I think Aliir should be in the side but to say after 3 straight wins n some pretty good form to drop someone for both Aliir & Talia is rediculous. Aliir played ruck as a junior in Queensland n wasn't much then came to WA n was tried in a number of positions with defence being his best spot by a country mile. I watched him live a few times & can't see him making it as a ruck. Talia is good depth imo but that's it unless he shows a bit this year, which he might due his career being on the line. To even think both are the key to our side turning around is delusional at best. Aliir is a small part of the solution to the problem. Our ruck division is a big problem not just structurally but also TPP wise. We have so much money tied up in our ruck division n it's just not paying its way. If we had another key forward you could play Reid as ruck relief but like I've said a number of times when it comes to key forwards the cupboard is basically bare.
    Since our ruckmen are not very good, maybe we should play all 4 in a game. That should fix the problem.

Except for being the last holdouts in playing 2 ruckmen, I don't think we have a big problem. Hence, I don't think Aliir is a solution, but rather an inclusion that will make the team stronger. It's not good to base one's current evaluation of Aliir on his junior days. Some of my old posts were extremely critical of his draft selection, because he was a hopeless defender, but he's developed into a skillful and athletic player.

I think we have enough talent on our list to be a very competitive team this year and a big improver next season. I'm not too worried about our tall forwards, because with Buddy in the side we really don't need other key forwards, but can have a mixture of other players, like Rohan, Dawson, Hayward and Papley. Cameron may also provide a taller option if needed. Key forwards, particularly those who are not very athletic, are not making the impact they used to. Big key forwards just encourage bombing the ball into the forward line, something everyone seems to be against.

From all I've read, Aliir hasn't really been knocking the door down in the reserves, so I'm quite baffled as to why certain posters on this forum feel that he's going to single-handedly drag us into the finals. I have no doubt that he'll be a very good player for us in time, but the fact that he's getting shifted around means that noone, including him, knows where his best position is. He needs time to develop and is not currently in best XXII form.

Talia does look like he's getting close, but I wouldn't say that he deserved inclusion over who we already had in out top side. Jetta got his chance because the Eagles were embarassed by Essendon. We belted St Kilda, so I'd say we were right to keep our team as close to unchanged as we could.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Tippett's best position is main ruck. He had a very good season there with us. Naismith's best position is main ruck.

Is Tippett better than Naismith at the moment? I think so.

Sinclair is depth.

I'd like to see Tippet rucking 85% of the game and see what Cameron can do.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Another damning indictment on our selection criteria, is that the best ruckman (judged today) on our list in 2016 is now playing with Richmond... through lack of opportunities at Sydney. The best centreman in the comp (judged today) on our list in 2016 is now playing with Hawthorn.. through a history of lack of opportunities.

To be honest, I wasnt brought on Nankervis, until I saw him this week against Essendon, and reality dawned on me like a sledgehammer to the temple.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast