Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
Since our ruckmen are not very good, maybe we should play all 4 in a game. That should fix the problem.

Except for being the last holdouts in playing 2 ruckmen, I don't think we have a big problem. Hence, I don't think Aliir is a solution, but rather an inclusion that will make the team stronger. It's not good to base one's current evaluation of Aliir on his junior days. Some of my old posts were extremely critical of his draft selection, because he was a hopeless defender, but he's developed into a skillful and athletic player.

I think we have enough talent on our list to be a very competitive team this year and a big improver next season. I'm not too worried about our tall forwards, because with Buddy in the side we really don't need other key forwards, but can have a mixture of other players, like Rohan, Dawson, Hayward and Papley. Cameron may also provide a taller option if needed. Key forwards, particularly those who are not very athletic, are not making the impact they used to. Big key forwards just encourage bombing the ball into the forward line, something everyone seems to be against.
We play 2 ruckman with the idea that both should contribute in the forward line. I'd say that's why Longmire plays both.

In regards to Aliir I asked ugg how he went as forward in the reserves game n his description is pretty much what he was as a junior so I don't think in regards to his all round game that much has changed. So his junior days are relevant to this discussion.

You cannot expect Franklin to hold down the forward line by himself. You need atleast another key marking forward. It showed on Friday with no Reid & Rohan down back how very predictable we are with only him.

Before Friday I had the view that the season was still alive but it doesn't look like that now so I agree I'd drop Sinclair for Cameron. His ruck work needs improving but he'll definitely provide a target up forward. He basically played that role in WA last year. Atleast he'll actually hold his mark. Those dropped marks from Sinclair were killers on Friday.

Big key forwards only encourage bombing if you have that sit in front of the goal square stay at home forward. Perfect example is Tippet. When he played forward previously n had multiple leads we looked very good but he gets caught a lot just waiting in front of goals for the long bomb.

Also Dawson is being groomed to be a big bodied mid, the only forward work we'll get from him is the occasional short stint there just like Parker plus he may not even be there next year. He's not re-signed yet and Adelaide are desperate for some midfield depth so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he lands back home. I hope not though.