Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd.10 Sydney V Hawthorn. 19.50 pm. SCG.

Not sure what's being referred to either, but was the Burgoyne free there? I was at the other end of the ground so couldn't really tell.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Not sure what's being referred to either, but was the Burgoyne free there? I was at the other end of the ground so couldn't really tell.
    I reckon Burgoyne has been accompanying Hodge to dairy farming school.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    What did the umpires supposedly do wrong in the final minutes?
    Weak free kick to Burgoyne to level the scores after he did a 'Lindsay Thomas'......soooo #freekickhawthorn.....

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I reckon Burgoyne has been accompanying Hodge to dairy farming school.
    Yes, I'm a little bit annoyed that Reg was charged at all; as to me, it looked like a glancing blow to the shoulder, that was accentuated by Hodge's staging. The fact that the Tribunal graded it as, "low impact to the body", suggests that Hodge clutching his head in agony, may not have been reality based.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sydney Swans Vs Hawthorn - Match Centre - AFL.com.au

If you go the Highlights at that link the Burgoyne free is about 6:05 in. Tough one, I think you could argue it was there but I feel like you see that relatively frequently in games and it doesn't get called. I don't think it gets called if he doesn't throw his hands up.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

If you look at the Collingwood, Power and Carlton matches there is a very obvious trend happening in their game styles against us. They are kicking to position to lots of free players to break our zone. A zone we should not be playing because it will be the end of us and is being the end of us. Hawthorn played the same way exactly. They were allowed to do this all day with Swans players giving them heaps of space. The zone we set up no longer works because the opposition coaches are all a wake up to it. I could tell last year that the opposition coaches were starting to work out our zoning off and to exploit it. In the Grand Final in parts dogs did this. But up until Power and then Pies it wasn't obvious.

Of course we put the losses down to too many injuries and playing young players. I was never that confident that was the case. In fact I bemoaned our lack of pressure on the defending team as they brought the ball out of defence. Sure our experienced players were not playing well. Sure we had a lot of inexperienced players. The fact is most of our experienced players are playing more than ok now. But the problem still persists and it isn't one of lack of motivation on the part of the players or lack of form. It is about a lack of coaching awareness and the inability of our coaching staff to change things in the heat of battle. Players will play to whatever game plan or the coaching staff organise. If told to play man on man they will. If told to play the zone they will. Our coaching staff did not change tack at all last week and we lost the same as we did against Power. Pies and Blues. They didn't change then either. You'd think that if something is not working then you'd change it. But Longmire and his staff seem to be unable to do so.

If this doesn't change soon we are going to be literally bottom. There are some major flaws in our game and the inability to counter the slow kicking to position game where they spread to one side and the back the other way is astounding. There have been so many free players in all four games for the opposition that I thought they must have had more players on the field. But no...It is our inability to keep track of their players while playing our zone that is the problem. This leaves all our players on one side with three to four free opposition players on the other sidee of the ground. It made me feel sick to see this happening again on Friday night. I knew then that we were in deep @@@@. That our coaches had no @@@@ing idea at all and it is time for a rethink on Longmire and his team. Everyone of them. I am not saying this because I have any significant loathing for Longmire of the other coaches. It is because even if we were winning games last season the effort to do so was astounding and I was worried our game plan would not stand up on that last day in September. As it turned out it didn't, with some extenuating circumstances. But the reality is we couldn't contain their spread out of defence. This has transferred into this year and it is far worse than before because everybody knows what we do and they counter it immediately then catch us out. GWS & Dogs did it to a lesser degree too. Every team, except Saints, know how to counter us. So we won three. Lions you can say just don't have the cattle. We did well against Norf but their coaches still haven't wotrked out how to beat our zone same as Saints. The rest we have played certainly have. But it was so noticeable against Pies, Power, Blues & Hawks. The Hawks came into the game with virtually a reserves team and still beat us. Talk about Longmire losing the unlosable.

I think it is time to look at a new coach. We will never win another premiership with coaches that simply can'y change things up at a minutes notice. We need onfield leadership who can see what's happening and take the initiative to change things on the field. Hodge for Hawks does it all the time. Murphy for Dogs. Our structures are far too rigid. We need to get flexibility back into the game plan. If we keep playing this sort of footy I am simply going to turn off and go and watch the reserves, who are playing great footy. They are not playing the same as the Seniors either by the way. they have different personnel and are playing accordingly. Shaw has them believing and playing great footy. A very tough, smart, skillful game of footy. If the senior coaches took some of the stuff the dew kickers are doing to senior level we could just win a few games. Mind you Shaw is developing their one on one game and the boys are tough, uncompromising and tight. Can't say that about the seniors. Bomb the ball into Bud or Tip, lose ball and get slaughtered on the way back or get a point and play a zone that allows their players 10 metres. Then get lost on the spread. Reserves don't allow that to happen. Game and player awareness are a great thing and maybe many of our older players just don't have it. But I think it is just a flawed zone. A zone that allows the opposition to lose their players on the way back. Too many of our players overlap and soon they don't know who their opponents are or where they are. Simple really.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I'm a little bit annoyed that Reg was charged at all; as to me, it looked like a glancing blow to the shoulder, that was accentuated by Hodge's staging. The fact that the Tribunal graded it as, "low impact to the body", suggests that Hodge clutching his head in agony, may not have been reality based.
    That idiot Brereton on SEN said that "Hodgey doesn't stage" and reckoned Grundy got away with one after blatantly smashing Hodge in the jaw. He even encouraged people to look at the video. You look at the video and you see Grundy never went anywhere near the jaw - it's clearly the shoulder. It just shows what a poor commentator Brereton is, how partisan and divorced from reality he is when it comes to any matter involving the Dawks. He simply can't be trusted to be rational or objective. It just reinforced why my usual reaction is to turn off/change channels as soon as Brereton comes on.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    That idiot Brereton on SEN said that "Hodgey doesn't stage" and reckoned Grundy got away with one after blatantly smashing Hodge in the jaw. He even encouraged people to look at the video. You look at the video and you see Grundy never went anywhere near the jaw - it's clearly the shoulder. It just shows what a poor commentator Brereton is, how partisan and divorced from reality he is when it comes to any matter involving the Dawks. He simply can't be trusted to be rational or objective. It just reinforced why my usual reaction is to turn off/change channels as soon as Brereton comes on.
    Yes and I suppose that in Dermyworld, Hodge doesn't push people into goal posts, take cheap shots behind play or instigate brawls when the mustard and turd are behind. In fact, it's just poor accident prone Hodgey, having a series of unfortunate accidents, in which the opposition players get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Simple really.
    Not Really.

Every adjustment to the game plan has a downside. I understand what we are trying to do. We are allowing teams to take boundary marks by dropping off the fat side to defend the corridor, as well as trying not to allow the ball coming over the top. It only takes one miskick by the opposition to get the ball coming back the other way, but Hawthorn, as well as Collingwood in that first quarter, kept hitting targets. You can find lots of other games for both teams this year when that was not the case. We also had the problem of butchering the ball when we did get it back. The game plan also depends on quick skillful counterplay, something we lacked on Friday.

What we need to do is recognise when this opposition strategy is effective and make adjustments, most likely bringing up a defender and allowing us to forward press man on man trying to force a kick to a contest.

Longmire would be reeling from the scathing criticism he's been getting from all quarters on how he was outcoached. I think we will see some adjustments on the way.

At the selection table, we should pick our best 22 as if the position of ruckman didn't exist. Then choose 3 or 4 players from the selected group to rotate at the stoppages for that game. If Sinclair and Tippett are not good enough to play as key forwards, then we should drop them and bring in Aliir and Talia, for example, and have Reg, Aliir, Reid and Towers share the ruck duties.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Sydney Swans Vs Hawthorn - Match Centre - AFL.com.au

If you go the Highlights at that link the Burgoyne free is about 6:05 in. Tough one, I think you could argue it was there but I feel like you see that relatively frequently in games and it doesn't get called. I don't think it gets called if he doesn't throw his hands up.
    Yes, one could also make an argument, that the two tackles in which Lloyd and Reid were concussed were more worthy of frees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Not Really.

Every adjustment to the game plan has a downside. I understand what we are trying to do. We are allowing teams to take boundary marks by dropping off the fat side to defend the corridor, as well as trying not to allow the ball coming over the top. It only takes one miskick by the opposition to get the ball coming back the other way, but Hawthorn, as well as Collingwood in that first quarter, kept hitting targets. You can find lots of other games for both teams this year when that was not the case. We also had the problem of butchering the ball when we did get it back. The game plan also depends on quick skillful counterplay, something we lacked on Friday.

What we need to do is recognise when this opposition strategy is effective and make adjustments, most likely bringing up a defender and allowing us to forward press man on man trying to force a kick to a contest.

Longmire would be reeling from the scathing criticism he's been getting from all quarters on how he was outcoached. I think we will see some adjustments on the way.

At the selection table, we should pick our best 22 as if the position of ruckman didn't exist. Then choose 3 or 4 players from the selected group to rotate at the stoppages for that game. If Sinclair and Tippett are not good enough to play as key forwards, then we should drop them and bring in Aliir and Talia, for example, and have Reg, Aliir, Reid and Towers share the ruck duties.
    You really do hate ruckmen don't you. Cameron is playing really well in the reserves. Tippett I'll give you is under performing to the max. Don't know what to do about him except put it out there he is no longer a required player and then draft Sam Maize as a Rookie ruck. Longmire doesn't have a plan B though Ludwig. He can't change it once we are doing it and the onfield leaders can't either. If you are being exploited playing omne style the solution is pretty simple change the style to one that isn't going to be exploited. For instance get rid of the zone and play man on man. That generally works against Hawks. That is how we have beaten them, Cats etc in the past. By taking them on and pressuring them. With the zone you rely on the opposition @@@@ing up. That is a really negative tactic and if it doesn't work what happens ids swift accurate ball movement has you caught out with all your players on one side. That happened all the time Friday and also against Pies, Blues and Port. Not to mention most of the game against GWS and also Dogs.

I can't stand the bloody zone thing, whatever it's supposed to achieve , it doesn't work .
    It's so boring to watch again and again .
    I can't believe I've cycled all the way to the SCG to watch it all over again .
    I'm very interested to go and watch the twos .