Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Longmire.

Be interesting to see how the swans play out the end of season review. Backing up a grand final to knocked out in the semi's would be seen as a step backwards in normal circumstances.
    But after a series of unsuccessful finals series years since 2012, it may be looked at closer.

How that plays out wrt players, assistance and coach. You'd expect a few minor changes at least.

Pushing for Selection
    Yes of course you're right sprite, Dew did come from Hawthorn, but that was a while ago.
    He played only 2 seasons for Hawthorn, 2008 and 2009, and joined us to coach in late 2009.
    I'd like some more recent experience, including how Clarko built and revamped his triple premiership side.
    Clarkson is in my view far and away the best coach out there, particularly the way he adapts his game plan to suit his players. We seem to do the opposite. This is all valuable information for Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Yes of course you're right sprite, Dew did come from Hawthorn, but that was a while ago.
    He played only 2 seasons for Hawthorn, 2008 and 2009, and joined us to coach in late 2009.
    I'd like some more recent experience, including how Clarko built and revamped his triple premiership side.
    Clarkson is in my view far and away the best coach out there, particularly the way he adapts his game plan to suit his players. We seem to do the opposite. This is all valuable information for Horse.
    Did the poos and wees play finals this year?
    Not really a glowing recommendation for their coach.
    He never really adapted his game plan to suit his players, where we won, what, 15 of our last 17 games (or something like that).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Pushing for Selection
    Good enough to beat us twice this year, let alone the four flags.
    Playfair has gone to St Kilda, so there is an assistant spot available.
    Last edited by Crusty; 22nd September 2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Bolton had a pretty good insight as to how Clarko went about things. It's not like he's doing anything special at the Blues as yet.

I think we should make a play for Luke Hodge as assistant coach.
    We need to be far more nimble on game day, and I'm hoping Hodge will bring some tactical nous. As far as I'm aware, we don't have anyone who has served an apprenticeship under Clarkson.
    Sure Hodge will want to coach the Hawks, but all new coaches should go to another team to learn their craft. Hodge learns how we do it and we learn how Clarko does it.
    +1. Come to the dark side Luke.

There's no way... but it would be amazing

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    Only 25 years, do you have some magic number that entitles you to an opinion?

I saw the list let me know if any of the losers were red hot favourites. If you can find two then you will start convincing me. Oh and for fairness it would need to be 2 with the same senior coaching panel.

If you are going to criticize do your research and check how many time SAF changes his coaching staff to keep things fresh given he continued as the manager. This was so when he got involved it had real impact. You talk about it all being down to the players, funny I can't think of a time when a SAF team turned up and didn't compete in a big game. I doubt his players were any less tired at the end of the season.

Please do point the last red hot favourite that got embarrassed in a finals game. In the regular season I agree it happens all the time but in finals it doesn't. Performances aren't slipping away, last year Grand Final this year a Semi Final. Unless I've missed something that's serious slip.

I was saying pick consistent players who can given you exactly what you expect every single game. You would prefer Gary Rohan in Grand Final to say Puopolo, arguably a much less gifted player but brings it in the big games. I say again do you prefer a player who is going to pay 3 finals and maybe get a 8, 1 and 3 out of 10. Or would you prefer a player who will get a 7, 6, 8. I know which one i think brings more to the team over the finals series.

I agree the tigers as yet haven't won anything, they may or may not, but how is their trajectory looks like it is on the up to me. PS We did win something 5 years ago. Since then we have won zilch.

I ask again would you swap last year's premiership for the dog's ladder position this year? I would.

Finally, I'm not talking about just a loss but 2 utter humiliations in a Grand Final and Semi Final when we were hot favourites for both games. If you can find recent finals examples please point them out, I can't think of one other game in which a raging hot favourite was humiliated (games lost by 63 and 59 points). These are the facts not fake news, using the hot new phrase doesn't change the reality.

What was the common denominator for both games, exactly the same senior coaching panel.

We won 15 out of 18, so what. Did I miss the part where they gave us a premiership for that.

It's actually not the first time, I, albeit not here, actively sought change after 2014, you simply can't perform that way without consequences. That was the time to move on from Stuart Dew or John Blakey the other senior coaches.

PS Might be nice if you played the argument not the man, I haven't criticised any individual for supporting the status quo, I may disagree but I wouldn't need to sink the gutter and play the man to try and give my argument some validity. It's a shame not everyone approaches it the same way and plays the argument.
    If premierships are the only way to judge coaches, there are many failures out there. That included the coach whose team beat us last week. Longmire has won a more recent premiership and Scott has now won 3 out of his last 10 finals and has been humiliated in the last two preliminary finals. So you only rate Clarkson and Beveridge and none of the other coaches seeing that Longmire is the last premiership coach before those two?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If premierships are the only way to judge coaches, there are many failures out there. That included the coach whose team beat us last week. Longmire has won a more recent premiership and Scott has now won 3 out of his last 10 finals and has been humiliated in the last two preliminary finals. So you only rate Clarkson and Beveridge and none of the other coaches seeing that Longmire is the last premiership coach before those two?
    I do rate John as a coach but I don't believe he can take this group to another premiership. I think the boys need a new game style and message to sharpen them up. There are too many passengers in big games and it's become a huge problem.

John will leave a great legacy of tough contested football, but it's been proven consistently you need more than that to win a premiership, despite attempts John hasn't adapted the style enough (we continue to lose to Hawthorn and other teams who play a slow kick and mark style). It's been 3 full seasons since the 2014 fiasco and still no major changes despite possibly having a better list. A new coaching panel would be a good start and if John can adapt to a new panel and style then he can stay, if he stays I see his role as becoming more of a manager than a game-day tactician.

In the end I'm a risk taker, I would roll the dice in the hopes of getting a coach that can take the team to the premiership winning level. Could it explode dramatically, of course, but although I think the team is good enough for finals most years I don't see a premiership ahead.

And yes premierships are the ultimate judge, we aren't in it to just compete but to win. I think change is needed to make that win more likely. In the end nobody cares if you don't win. There are no guarantees in the future that's why I think we need to maximise our chances today.

PS I don't rate Chris Scott (which makes last week all the more embarrassing), his premiership was the previous regime's hard work.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    I do rate John as a coach but I don't believe he can take this group to another premiership. I think the boys need a new game style and message to sharpen them up. There are too many passengers in big games and it's become a huge problem.

John will leave a great legacy of tough contested football, but it's been proven consistently you need more than that to win a premiership, despite attempts John hasn't adapted the style enough (we continue to lose to Hawthorn and other teams who play a slow kick and mark style). It's been 3 full seasons since the 2014 fiasco and still no major changes despite possibly having a better list. A new coaching panel would be a good start and if John can adapt to a new panel and style then he can stay, if he stays I see his role as becoming more of a manager than a game-day tactician.

In the end I'm a risk taker, I would roll the dice in the hopes of getting a coach that can take the team to the premiership winning level. Could it explode dramatically, of course, but although I think the team is good enough for finals most years I don't see a premiership ahead.

And yes premierships are the ultimate judge, we aren't in it to just compete but to win. I think change is needed to make that win more likely. In the end nobody cares if you don't win. There are no guarantees in the future that's why I think we need to maximise our chances today.

PS I don't rate Chris Scott (which makes last week all the more embarrassing), his premiership was the previous regime's hard work.
    Understand your viewpoint but reckon you underestimate how extremely difficult it is to make the 8 let alone make grand finals and win them, especially for a non Victorian team.

Interesting that there seems to be some sort of consensus amongst the commentators, that Chris Scott was out-coached last night, because he played Dangerfield forward in the first quarter. Hmmm.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Interesting that there seems to be some sort of consensus amongst the commentators, that Chris Scott was out-coached last night, because he played Dangerfield forward in the first quarter. Hmmm.

Don't take most of commentators seriously. Footy media a feeding frenzy that changes week by week.