Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 12 v Bulldogs

Senior Player
    The selectors undid their good work on the outs with the ins.

Tippet needs some time in the twos and to be sent a message, Ollie is always going to be in and out this season with his young body.

Why are Naismith and Jack automatic ins? Jack was deplorable when underdone earlier in the season is bought in again underdone. He should have returned through the NEAFL. Naismith has barely got a run at it this season and will also be underdone. Again he should have a run in the NEAFL, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up injured again.

On a separate note, why do we need the 2nd ruckman anyway? Its clearly not working for us but we are too stubborn to change. Why not bring Allir in as a more mobile 2nd ruck? Or bring in another runner and run with Reid/Towers as pinch hitters. The season is gone and the selectors are too timid to change up the standard formula

Yes, Aliir in for Naismith, seems a reasonably likely late change.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Is there a new terminology?
    I must have missed it.
    I thought quarterback was a reference to half-back... but only a quarter of the way! ...
    Is this the midfielder that plays across the back on the contest? Jake "Tom Brady" Lloyd?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Even though going to a one ruckman lineup would make Longmire's past positions on ruckmen look foolish, he does have a good excuse. The protean mindset of the AFL regarding rule changes and their particular impact on stoppages has forced a change in thinking about how to approach the stoppage and what is needed to come out of the contest with the ball. Most clubs have come around to the fact that where the ball goes from a hitout may not have much impact on where it ends up.

Longmire may well be vindicated in the long run it the centre bounce ends in the trash bin of AFL history, as a toss up would favour the better tap ruckman. We can't do anything about what the AFL do about rule changes and interpretations from week to week except to adjust to the changes. It's very much like the weather and how field conditions affect team selection.

It seems to make sense not to put all your eggs in one basket. When too much emphasis is placed on only 1 of the 18 players on the ground, it's a formula for disaster.

AnnieH is right. Aliir has great hands, especially in the wet. I think he's a good match up for Stringer. (The Saviour v The Package). Why not bring him back today? I don't care which of the 2 ruckmen we drop. It won't make that much difference.

Senior Player
    Why the @@@@ are the Swans the favourites? Where is the logic there? I am flabbergasted. Even if the Swans put together some good footy, the umpires will ensure we won't get the 4 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Why the @@@@ are the Swans the favourites? Where is the logic there? I am flabbergasted. Even if the Swans put together some good footy, the umpires will ensure we won't get the 4 points.
    Ahh, but the battle of wits between bookie and punter is ancient (with the odds always swinging in the bagmen's favour). If you like a punt and think they've got it wrong, take the overs.

I'm pretty confident of a win myself.

Veterans List
    Just had a look at the BOM site, looks like it's been bucketing down for 2-3 days, wonder what condition the ground will be in?

Centre square and surrounds should have had the covers on so may be ok through the middle but boggy elsewhere. Can you locals predict what it will be like tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    You'd prefer him delisted?
    I didn't say that. I was thinking there may be several others that need the message too. As for Tippett I am not sure he fits the Swans as much as we thought he would. If his form does not improve he will be seeing plenty of Reserves footy. If that happens then I can't see any reason to keep him. We will need to shop him out to someone like Brisbane who need an experienced forward. Try to get some of his contract back, maybe half.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I like the bold move of assigning consequences to lack of form and dropping Tippett. I'm not sold on the Naismith/Sinclair ruck combo. Neither offers that much playing forward. Nor am I convinced that Naismith is well enough established to slip straight back into the senior side without showing form in the NEAFL. If ever there were a time to trial playing one ruck (without it being forced upon us) this might have been a good time. That would have made Ludwig half happy - still one ruck too many for him. Conversely, I think that now that he is fully fit, it is ok to have Kizza slot straight back in at Olly's expense. That said, I think he may be a bit rusty after the lay off and I think we need to cut him some slack. I'm not expecting miracles from him first game back.

As regards Aliir, I think they have identified an aspect of his game that he needs to work on and he won't be picked again until he has done it. I support the coaches in this even though I don't know what it is they after (best guess is it's to do with either tighter defending or following team structures and orders better). Players have to work and earn their spots and not get them on reputation alone which is why it's great to see players like Tippet (and Liberatore) dropped.

In Aliir's case it is a pity because, if he were ready, I would have loved to see him picked ahead of Naismith for this game.

As far as Tippett showing something in the NEAFL, it will be difficult because we are playing the Giants. Normally that would be tough opposition but with their injury list as it is their reserves team is currently very weak and won't test him.
    if Aliir is being punished for not being tight enough on his opponent then they are finding a strange way of teaching him defence by playing him in the ruck forward role in the second half last game. His opponents have kicked zero goals on him since he went back to NEAFL. He even kept his NT Thunder opponent to 3 disposals. his Uni opponent wasn't much better even though he is highly rated. His Suns opponent in the first half failed to impress the scorer or that statistician. So is he too loose? You make your mind up mate. The other thing is you don't teach a bloke defence by playing him forward. By the way he was never a good forward at junior level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised is Beveridge dropped Tim English for Honeychurch if the conditions are wet, which seems very likely. If it's just occasional showers, then we should drop Sinclair for Aliir, who is well and truly fit and ready to go. He's been playing great footy in the reserves and especially in the last 2 games in wet conditions. If it's really wet, we should drop both ruckmen and also bring in Marsh. Ollie is good in the wet, but it's likely to be a really down and dirty physical game and Ollie may not be quite ready for it. Ruckmen have negative impact in wet conditions.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, because the season will be well and truly over if we lose this game, but we can't possibly consider taking 2 ruckmen into the Richmond game next week, when they only play one in Nankervis and most likely just one tall forward in Jack Reiwoldt.
    you're right Ludwig he is playing great footy in the reserves. I don't understand why he languishes in the Reserves. could be he is at loggerheads with the coach. Can see him leaving next year. I'd spit the dummy too if I was playing great footy and not being picked. There is no excuse for not picking him. We were in need of an extra tall last week in defence. This week Swans supporters will fall, as the coaching staff seem to do too, for the lie that doggies forward line is small. They aren't, they are overall taller than ours. In fact they have more key targets than us. Stringer is even 193cm. Anyway not going to happen and we'll lose a really top player all because the coach wants to prove who's boss. Purile stupidity.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just had a look at the BOM site, looks like it's been bucketing down for 2-3 days, wonder what condition the ground will be in?

Centre square and surrounds should have had the covers on so may be ok through the middle but boggy elsewhere. Can you locals predict what it will be like tonight?
    Not sure about bucketing for two to three days. I live about 5km away and it's been lovely up until Tuesday evening, where there was a shower or two. It did bucket down - and I mean, really bucket down, most of yesterday. But today's been not too bad. A few showers earlier but the sky is predominantly blue at the moment. Looks like there might be a bit of weather to the west (which is the vague direction of the SCG from me) but the ground should be in reasonable condition if the weather holds. There's also a reasonable breeze at the moment, which will help dry out the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    We are not favourite in any tipping comp. all comps I am in have us below 40%.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast