Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 12 Sydney V Western Bulldogs. SCG. 19.20 pm.

First game in 2017 where I thought to myself we kept the right ruckman. Cracker by Nainsmith.

Only 20,000 turned up. Thats like a giants crowd !

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Paps is a real gem! At last we have a player who has niggle, bump, dig, annoy etc in his DNA! He has the ability to lift the team with his style of play even when he makes a mistake or two, or three. Totally unperturbed when he cops a bit back.
    Every time I see him on the big screen he's mouthing off at someone. It's hilarious. He was clearly telling Hodge that he was over the hill during the Hawks game.

And he kicks timely goals too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Ronan is starting to fill me with dread and disappointment. (Maybe it's his lack of tank). One thing is clear, if Ronan plays, then he has to play forward and apply lots of defensive pressure.
    Obligatory xkcd reference:

xkcd: Lunch Order

Warming the Bench
    I loved the effort last night, if there was a let down it was a few skill errors but even then heads never dropped and we had great 2nd and 3rd efforts. I love watching Naismith's ruckwork, so many times tapping to our players or open space to run into really is the best at his craft on our list. Tippett can stay in the NEAFL for a while, if we want him playing key forward in the seniors he needs to be in that position in the NEAFL not rucking.

All around a fantastic game to watch. Missing the 8 this year is no big deal, we can get games and form into our young players and build to next year.

The only 2 I wouldn't mind coming in for next game are Rohan (if fit) and Aliir (hopefully has a good game on the weekend) but who do you drop? Better to reward a great team performance by going unchanged into next game

Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Marvellous how effective one on one can be.
    In the first 5 mins , you could see there was a decree to go one on one , and I thunk, yep we will win this game.

Warming the Bench
    Really happy with Naismith game.
    Many times i saw (on tv) a big tackle or someone on the ground feeding the ball out and realised it was Sam.
    Incredible effort from the big man
    Now to do it consistently

Veterans List
    Noticed that with 4 umpires that they often found themselves in the middle of the play. Players had to dodge them more often than usual. Seriously, how many umpires do we need. Can anyone tell me why we now have 4 field umpires?

Great game, big effort, the only blight was the goal kicking, that stuff usually comes back to bite us

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Hayward is going to be a gun, and he's a quick gun too.

Papley, Hayward and Rohan as forwards gives a lot of variation and a lot of pressure. Liking the make up of the side as we go forward.
    How good was that pack mark in the last (?) quarter? He was the slightest dude out there (English aside, perhaps). Chased and presented all night.

Warming the Bench
    very impressed with BOTH ruckmen against bullies
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

There doesn't appear to be a lot of consensus here.

Some people say we changed the game plan and it was better. Others say that the game plan was the same but we executed better and were harder/had better intensity. If the former is true, it shows the coaches can be flexible. If the latter is true it suggests that the coaches are not necessarily to blame for our worse performances and that our game plan is good enough. Either way I think this performance reflected well on our coaching staff.

Some people say we played skilfully, others not so much. Either way, we definitely played better. Personally I can't pinpoint the difference and would love to see a replay. I thought we tried hard against the Hawks. However in this game we were more effective and I'm not sure why that was. I kept thinking during the game (and afterwards) that the Bulldogs were insipid and I would have been very disappointed in them if I was a Dogs' fan. Barely any of them stood out. But I think we, and our pressure, had a lot to do with that. When we're good, we're good. Now let us be good next week.

I disagree with barry, Sinclair had a good game. And I witnessed the effort he was putting in which was really pleasing. What's more, Sinkers has been good for a few weeks now. What was more surprising was how good Naismith was. I didn't expect him to play so strongly first game back but he was great. Made me feel we have kept the right ruck because he is a good pure ruckman with his great height. Now Sinclair, Tippo and Cameron are all fighting for that 2nd ruck/forward spot, so long as Naismith stays healthy and in form. I am happy to be playing two rucks provided they are both offering more than just hit outs. Naismith shows great potential to be a good main ruck. And a strong ruck-forward is something every team can benefit from. However this is why, longer term I am not too sure about Sinclair because I think both Tippett and Cameron have the potential to be better forwards when they play well. However Tippett is getting older and has seriously become expendable given his price tag.

I didn't have an overall sense of Towers' game and would love to review it. I noticed him do a couple of nice things but didn't take in his entire performance - so I'm glad others have pointed it out.