Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 12 Sydney V Western Bulldogs. SCG. 19.20 pm.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Towers v2.0 is using the ball a lot better. He set up at least three scoring shots on Thursday, including an excellent long kicks for goals to Hewett and Reid, and a kick into the corridor from defence which led to a chain of passes which should have resulted in another goal to Reid (I think, he missed). He seems to make a particular impact in the second half of games. He can still struggle a bit when he takes a mark and has to stop to decide what to do, and he also gets pushed off the ball a little bit, but he's working on these too. Good on him, he's becoming a real contributor.
    Good call out - what he did well, he did really well, and in ways the rest of the team often seen unable or unwilling to do. There was a little bit of ferocity about his game. Like Naismith, a sense of "this is my football mortality in my own hands". Good luck to him, he can play and seems a lovely chap (we got a "thanks fellas" as he went past the fence slapping hands - who does that?), but just seems like the anti-Stevie J - could smack Johnson in a game of chess I suspect, but would have his head spinning if he ever had to play on him.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hanners, in particular, execute some handballs that were really creative, and opened up play for team mates. Indeed, I had him as my BOG watching the game live and even after watching a replay, I'm not sure I've changed my mind. Though I've noticed a lot more of the great stuff Kennedy did, on replay, and was reminded on how much of an influence Heeney had throughout the game.)
    Hanners was my BOG - just set the standard for intensity and urgency all night, two factors that have been sorely missing in our worst performances this year. Noticed he only had 4 tackles but that doesn't take into account the harassing and chasing that so often ends up in a turnover. Still such an important player for us - and it was clearly the best game that the three midfield masters - JPK, Dan and Parker - have played as a group this year. We'll need more of this if we are to win more than we lose for the rest of the year.

Hayward also closes down really well at the back and forced at least one error through this terrier-like efforts.

I think this kid will be a super super player for us. He seems to have a good attitude to boot and once he fills out physique wise he will be able to impact the game more. Provided we are realistic with our expectations of him I'd be resisting the temptation to give him a break unless he really seems to be finding it too much

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Hayward also closes down really well at the back and forced at least one error through this terrier-like efforts.

I think this kid will be a super super player for us. He seems to have a good attitude to boot and once he fills out physique wise he will be able to impact the game more. Provided we are realistic with our expectations of him I'd be resisting the temptation to give him a break unless he really seems to be finding it too much
    Before last years draft I was hoping we'd take him with our first pick. Was pretty disappointed when we chose Florent over him. Sat there so angry that they let him slip then was amazed that he lasted to our next pick. So really in the end imo it was a win win. In his junior days I loved his harassment n it's something that is hard to teach as players get older. He seriously reminds me of what people thought Leo Barry would be when he first arrived at the club. That hf with a leap which means he can play tall with a bit of desperation added in.
    Last edited by Boddo; 10th June 2017 at 04:50 PM.

Senior Player
    Yes, if we play them at Spotless. Mostly GWS home crowds are 10K to 14K. But 14K in Spotless
    looks better than 20K at the SCG. 20,000 against the Dogs is a really poor crowd. And the excuses
    for it just as lame. It's a Thursday game... really? is there something special going on on
    Thursdays I didn't know about. The weather? a simple check of the forecast in the arvo showed
    it wasn't going to rain during the game. Poor form? We had won three of our last four games!
    Even where we sit on the top deck of the Brewongle half the other reserved seat folks
    didn't show. I mean it's under cover up there. Soft!
    F-it, what do I care? That was our best game since the prelim last year.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Only 20,000 turned up. Thats like a giants crowd !

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's a Thursday game... really? is there something special going on on
    Thursdays I didn't know about.
    Its the day before Friday which is a school day. Getting home at 11pm-midnight doesn't work real well for my 10 yo & probably a bunch of other young members who have parents who normally come.

Not to mention losing a Thursday game is even worse than losing a Friday game, even longer to wait for redemption.

When they bring in the mooted Monday 2.20pm game next year, I'll probably find a way to be there, but I'll still think its dumb.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Not sure if Sydneysiders are as aware of the AFL policy as Vic based fans.
    AFL don't care about people attending games. All about TV.

Probably 5 to 10 years ago I was always banging on about how Sydney vs any otehr interstate team was not broadcast into Vic, yet games played in Vic (the ones I could get in my car and drive to) were either live or delayed on FTA.

Academic for me now as I have Foxtel and get to watch every game.
    With only 6 in Vic I tend to only be able to see a couple a year.
    For instance for this weeks game I'll be overseas.

So they become an event of sorts when I get to a game.
    It does take up around 6 hours of my day to get to the game, see it and get back etc (because we no longer have Waverley Park lol

I like the Thursday night games. If we win, I have a relaxed long weekend
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Hayward took a lovely contested overhead mark against the dogs - I don't know that he's shown that before in the AFL, but apparently his marking was noted when he was drafted. I agree that he's going to be a star for us - have loved him since nearly his first game. Where is his rising star nom? Surely must be about due.

Could Towers be our biggest "whipping boy come good" since McVeigh? He's not about to win the Brownlow but I think most people who want him on our list, which is a big improvement from where he was previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Before last years draft I was hoping we'd take him with our first pick. Was pretty disappointed when we chose Florent over him. Sat there so angry that they let him slip then was amazed that he lasted to our next pick. So really in the end imo it was a win win. In his junior days I loved his harassment n it's something that is hard to teach as players get older. He seriously reminds me of what people thought Leo Barry would be when he first arrived at the club. That hf with a leap which means he can play tall with a bit of desperation added in.
    He's been a steal for sure.

I know your post wasn't meant at all this way but whilst Will appears ahead of Ollie I don't think we need to be worried about him at all, in fact I'd hope we extend his contract asap. From all reports he is a super kid, he's gone OK in his senior appearances and he's knuckling down well in the NEAFL. Another couple of games this year and a solid pre-season in the gym and I think he'll be ready to really push on next year.

As an aside I was very impressed with the way Jarrod Berry played for the Lions last night, he was someone I thought we should go for but as the village idiot once said we can't have everyone

Just wild about Harry
    One of the pleasing things for me about the game was our handball. I see our handball as a barometer for the match in play and if our handballs are continually hitting our players at torso height then we usually win.
    If you look at each of our losses this year you will notice that our handballs often have to be picked up on the half volley or miss their mark completely. This is usually due to a mix of good pressure from the opposition and our players just not being switched on.
    This game was different as the handballs usually went to the right spot which meant we didn't have to break stride, etc. I will suggest that the player effort in each game was similar but the execution of the handballs dictated the result of the game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Its the day before Friday which is a school day. Getting home at 11pm-midnight doesn't work real well for my 10 yo & probably a bunch of other young members who have parents who normally come.
    Fair point I guess, as mine are old enough to make themselves useful by getting me a beer
    these days, I'd forgotten about the bad old days when I had to leave my seat to buy them a soft drink.
    I think people just need to think of us as being 4-and-1 (from the last 5 games) and not 4-and-7 from the
    first half of the season to have the positive mindset that will help get them back to the SCG.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 13th June 2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Fair point I guess, as mine are old enough to make themselves useful by getting me a beer
    these days, I'd forgotten about the bad old days when I had to leave my seat to buy them a soft drink.
    I think people just need to think of us as being 4-and-1 (from the last 5 games) and not 4-and-7 from the
    first half of the season to have the positive mindset that will help get them back to the SCG.
    Yes people with kids find these games difficult. I find the weather difficult. I have never loved the winter, in fact I loathe it, but would get to any game. But last year I came down with a pretty bad cold after one of our rainy, freezing night games. Last week I had Kennel Cough and decided I wasn't going out in the cold. The trouble with winter is I am prone to chest infections so I probably won't go to wet, cold & windy night games. If the weather is decent I will. There comes a time when health comes first.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 13th June 2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags