Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 11: Sydney Swans Reserves v GIANTS @ Blacktown International Sports Park

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    FT Swans 28.17 185 Giants 2.6 18 Goals Wicks Dawson Fisher 4 Edwards Tippett 3 Ronke Florent Rohan 2 Jack Laidler Carr Foote. #goswans
    It's hard to read to much into this result given the GWS injuries but I do think it illustrates both the depth in our list and the fact that whilst GWS have immense elite level talent that their depth has been reduced now.

Happy for this result as a one off but long term these results do us little good, hoping that we get a good workout against Uni in two weeks time.

And to think Wicks couldn't get a gig with the Allies

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Wish there was a stream Swans 28.17 (185) GWS 2.2 (14).

If anyone was at the game was Dawsons game as good as his stats look? 26 disposals 11 tackles 4 marks 4 goals 2 behinds.

Wasn't Aliir a ruckman as a junior?
    Yeh he played ruck while he was at the Brisbane academy before moving to Perth. Was just an average ruck but junior career turned around when he was tried in defence in WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Yeh he played ruck while he was at the Brisbane academy before moving to Perth. Was just an average ruck but junior career turned around when he was tried in defence in WA.
    You seem like a pretty good judge Boddo so having seen a bit of Aliir where do you feel he best suited?

The idea that he could be anything more than just an occasional ruck option (as in like Sammy Reid or Towers) seems far fetched and you seem to agree. I like the idea of him on the wing or half forward flank, have you seem him play there and do you think that is an option?

I just think he is too loose for a KPD and the big dogs of the comp will work him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    You seem like a pretty good judge Boddo so having seen a bit of Aliir where do you feel he best suited?

The idea that he could be anything more than just an occasional ruck option (as in like Sammy Reid or Towers) seems far fetched and you seem to agree. I like the idea of him on the wing or half forward flank, have you seem him play there and do you think that is an option?

I just think he is too loose for a KPD and the big dogs of the comp will work him out.
    I think ATM 3rd man up off half back. It would allow the movement of Mills to the midfield. Or off a wing like you have suggested as a link up player that delivers to the forward half. His biggest issue for me is his defensive work one on one. So I think playing in a role like Gibson from Hawthorn suits him. I saw him live tried at hf & kpf in WA in his junior days and he looked lost and didn't know where to lead to. I asked ugg about his role there the other week n it sounds like nothing has changed much but it may be a work in progress where the club persists and tries to educate him more. Or it's being tried in case Reid does leave. Or he could be playing forward in the neafl so he gets involved in the game more as we have a pretty strong side so he may not see much play which going forward will hamper his development. I don't think he will ever be a rock in defence like say a Richards or Grundy more a Leo Barry type who runs from defence or the wing.

It's hard to read to much into this result given the GWS injuries but I do think it illustrates both the depth in our list ...
    I agree - a lot of media talk saying we have no depth due to Buddy and Tippett, but we do have a long list of young players who are already good enough to be an 18-22 player in the seniors, and the likelihood a number of them will step up from that and be very good senior players in coming years.

I will add I do understand why the club may be trying to turn him into a forward as I said a number of times that the club is very very low on key forwards. It showed the other night how dangerous the side looks with a 2nd key forward that relieves pressure off of Buddy and creates another marking avenue to score.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes the Giants were weak but they have put up reasonable performances lately. I think the score line is definitely more a reflection of the tough professional brand of football that Shaw has drilled into this side. They kept up the intensity for all four quarters despite the game well and truly being over second quarter. You could hear and I mean literally hear the messages from the bench and the players coming on to keep up the standards.

And I'm glad they did his and crushed the Giants as a payback for a similar score line that the Giants had in their favour two years ago when we were the ones playing with a depleted team

Tippett started slow despite starting in the ruck and sharing ruck duties with Cameron about 55-45. Cameron hurt his shoulder early second quarter which meant more ruck time for Tippett. Pink was trialled as his understudy but couldn't get anywhere near the taps against Simpson.

So they moved Aliir into ruck-forward and Pink into Aliir's defensive spot. And while Aliir wasn't amazing at the tapwork aspect of rucking he was electric in open play. There's a touch of the Leo Barrys about it, i.e. I'm excited and scared at the same time because I have no idea what he's doing and most of the time I'm sure he has no idea either.

Tippett Aliir ruck time split closer to 70-30 and this allowed Tippett to get into game with his ruckwork and then later on as a full forward. He was very much the primary focus at this point and even when the Giants started double teaming late on the Swans still kicked it in his direction. Kicked all 3 goals in the third quarter all from set shots.

Florent tasked with tagging Mzungu and followed him everywhere including synchronising their bench time together. Mzungu finished with 19 (he had 30+ last week) so it was a reasonable job made better by his contribution on the offensive end particularly the last quarter. He is a very classy user of the ball. One of the criticisms on him at the moment is his slight build and while this is true I think he is quite strong for his size. Mzungu is a mature experienced AFL player and Ollie had no significant issues tackling or being tackled by Mzungu.

Rohan started as midfielder/half forward and struggled to find touches early on. The move to full forward really sparked his game into life. With plenty of space to work in, his strong leads at great pace caused poor Tim Mohr issues and he was unselfish many times handing the ball off instead of having a shot at goal himself. Hurt himself in the third quarter when he ran at full speed trying to smother a desperate Giant clearing kick right on the goalline. Stayed down for a couple of minutes but played the rest of the game out.

Laidler was excellent today. Theoretically playing in defence but because of the Swans dominance in field position it's better described as a kick behind play around the center of the ground. He collected many intercept possessions due to his excellent reading of the play as he was not afraid to run off his opponent to affect the spoil. His ball use particularly his kicking was spot on today

Dawson kicked 4 goals should have been 5 but missed the easiest of the lot 25m set shot dead in front. Played mostly midfield and is very strong through the core broke many tackles. Played forward near the end when Shaw started shuffling the pieces on the chessboard

Edwards started midfield and finished as a halfback flanker after doing a role swap with O'Riordan for the final quarter. His pace, run and carry really opens up opportunities going forward and his end product, at least today, was good. Murray the other player who provides run off half back although his bouncing let him down today. However his kicking is a real weapon, it has penetration and he generally chooses the right option

Jack had another solid game and he must be praised for better ball use today. Perhaps it was a result of more time resulting from less pressure but he generally lowered his eyes and tried to kick to his teammates' advantage instead of bombing blindly away like he usually does.

Fisher a real accumulator of the footy. Didn't notice him too much in the midfield but has a real eye for goal and is a composed finisher in the forward fifty.

Rose was a peripheral figure for much of the game as most of the Swans attacks were centred on Tippett or Rohan. He looked frustrated at times and gave away a 50m penalty for a late push on a giant who had completed the mark

Foote off a wing, with Fox on the other. Foote first, attack on the ball was strong which reminded me of his strong form last year. Played a part of the game in defence which seems to be an area the coaches are exploring for him. Fox's main strength is his tackling and in and under work so it was a little strange to see him on the wing where he racked up plenty of touches mainly because he had no opponent. He isn't quick and his disposal is average at best so I can't see him continuing on the wing.

Talia and Maibaum mostly untroubled in defence. Talia the more offensive minded of the two, prepared to run to provide an option when we have the ball.

Leonardis again playing forward but didn't impress me too much in this role. There's not enough tricks in his bag to make him stand out as a forward, I feel he isn't very good in close and would be better in an outside role. Could be treading water until the end of the year where he is a candidate for delistment

Pink as mentioned previously moved into defence in the second half and did okay. What really stands out about his game at the moment is his defensive pressure and chasing at speed. In particular there was one passage of play in the middle of the ground where he made third, fourth, fifth efforts and eventually caused the turnover. Longmire seating nearby was quite happy with Pink then.

Finally the new cult hero Ronke. Started on the pine. Came on about 12min into the game. Both goals came from open play where he picked up ground balls before snapping bending kicks between the big sticks. Played as a small forward. Will have to see more of him before making a more concrete judgment but in the short passages today I gathered that he isn't a great kick but but tackles well and is a hard nut. Faded as the game went on and in the last quarter had his right ankle and right hip or buttock iced.

At the start of the second half, before the ball was bounced the umpires called for a head count and worked out the Giants had 19 on the field. Their score was reset (they only had 4 behinds anyway) and the Swans got a 50m penalty. Weird that the NEAFL still has this incredibly harsh penalty when the AFL has done away with it.

Swans 6.1 10.6 18.15 28.17 (185)
    Giants 0.0 0.0 1.0 2.2 (14)

Goals: Wicks 4 Dawson 4 Fisher 4 Edwards 3 Tippett 3 Ronke 2 Florent 2 Rohan 2 Jack Laidler Carr Foote
    Best: Laidler Florent Dawson Jack Fisher Tippett

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Aliir rucking now!
    Be still Ludwig's beating heart!

Love your comments on Aliir, Ugg. He's such an exciting player. I get the same feeling with Aliir as when Buddy has the ball. You just don't know what's going to happen. Often good, sometimes bad. And then the spectacular.

It's a testament to our development team how quickly Murray has gone from a raw project player to a serious AFL prospect. We appear to have a lot of those HBF types on the list now.

Great work, ugg. Really appreciate your effort.

Thanks for the detailed report.

Interesting to see Shaw experimenting with giving players different positions and roles.

I think the tagging on Mzungu would be a good learning experience for Florent. Because early season I think he struggled with defensive marking up off stoppages.

Good to hear that the rookie players are developing well. Hopefully some of them win another rookie contract next year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great work, ugg. Really appreciate your effort.
    Comprehensive and informative as always Ugg, us interstaters that can't get to games really appreciate your dedication, a great read, thanks

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast