Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: Sydney Swans Reserves v GIANTS @ Blacktown International Sports Park

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    In the meantime local and country footy is dying a slow death. They are the foundations that need to be supported.
    Not around where I live. Local footy is flourishing in southern Sydney. Auskick numbers have probably doubled in the last three years and the afl is quite active in their support

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The Comp has a problem that when the reserve sides are strong they are too strong (swans 200% after half a season), or very weak of players missing (eg giants). So why not spread the AFL lists across two local teams. Comp could be 4 Sydney teams, 4 SE Queensland teams. Add a Canberra or NT side if you want.
    Because the Swans to have their players in the ressies playing as a team together learning team structures and not spread out across a bunch of teams that they have no direct control over.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Just have an AFL reserves comp. instead of pumping $ into the AFLW, fund the AFL reserves
    I think this would be the preferred method but to be fair it is a solution that is only really needed by the NSW and Victorian clubs. For the other clubs the VFL, SANFL or WAFL is fine.

Like it or not we're stuck with the NEAFL and just have to hope that the standard increases over time, which I think it will. Sydney Uni are a case in point with most of their increased strength coming from delisted Swans or Academy kids finding their way into their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    In the meantime local and country footy is dying a slow death. They are the foundations that need to be supported.
    I live in Sth Gippsland. We have 5 Auskick programs in our area which are all booming, a new junior girls comp into it's 2nd year, and a regional womens team playing in the metro comp who are undefeated after 6 rounds. Our local U/12 boys team has a training group of over 40 kids who only get a game every second week. The areas where country footy struggles are areas where there is a lack of people, not a lack of enthusiasm for the game.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The NEAFL is fine. Half of the 18 games are against other AFL teams and add 4 more games against strong sides NT and Uni. Aspley have won two premierships but in a bit of a down patch at the moment while Canberra are having a revival under their new coach Klemke

Anyway looking at results is a bit simplistic if we are talking about developing players for our senior team. We need to analyse whether the NEAFL is hampering our development of players.

If you look at our current team, Lloyd, Newman, Marsh, Hewett, Towers, Jones, Naismith, Melican have all played a significant amount of NEAFL footy. Add to that players on the fringe like Foote, Robinson and Aliir as well as the departed Nankervis, Biggs and Membrey. This gives us a list of players that I would bet compares as well to other AFL clubs who play in stronger second tier comps

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Have we tried Talia up forward? It seems unlikely he'll play seniors in defence, looks to be a delisting at seasons end unless something changes. Seems a shame to recruit him for peanuts just to get rid of him, I was pretty excited when he came to the swans because he's a good KPP size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't delist Talia. I'd keep him as depth just in case Reg or others get injured

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I live in Sth Gippsland. We have 5 Auskick programs in our area which are all booming, a new junior girls comp into it's 2nd year, and a regional womens team playing in the metro comp who are undefeated after 6 rounds. Our local U/12 boys team has a training group of over 40 kids who only get a game every second week. The areas where country footy struggles are areas where there is a lack of people, not a lack of enthusiasm for the game.
    The growth in the women's game and the growth it is giving the game is quite unbelievable and long may it continue

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I wouldn't delist Talia. I'd keep him as depth just in case Reg or others get injured
    I think he's gone for sure.

Melican's arrival and the good development of Maubain will have seen to that. Plus we've also got Aliir in the magoos. And maybe AJ.

Reg still had another good year in him too so Maubain should be cherry ripe by 2019.

Talia seems like a bit of a ratbag (smoke, fire) plus even though he wouldn't be in huge money the money we'd save by delisting him and drafting a KPD with our third rounder would free up some much needed cap space.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Clearances

Swans 38 Giants 37

Fisher 6
    Florent 6
    Dawson 5
    Murray 4
    Aliir 3
    Tippett 3
    Edwards 2
    Jack 2
    Rohan 2
    Foote 1
    Fox 1
    O'Riordan 1
    Osborne 1
    Talia 1

To repeat; Fisher top in clearances AND 4 goals.

Doing somethings right

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The NEAFL is fine. Half of the 18 games are against other AFL teams and add 4 more games against strong sides NT and Uni. Aspley have won two premierships but in a bit of a down patch at the moment while Canberra are having a revival under their new coach Klemke

Anyway looking at results is a bit simplistic if we are talking about developing players for our senior team. We need to analyse whether the NEAFL is hampering our development of players.

If you look at our current team, Lloyd, Newman, Marsh, Hewett, Towers, Jones, Naismith, Melican have all played a significant amount of NEAFL footy. Add to that players on the fringe like Foote, Robinson and Aliir as well as the departed Nankervis, Biggs and Membrey. This gives us a list of players that I would bet compares as well to other AFL clubs who play in stronger second tier comps
    You speak much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

I think you are right long term.

Sydney Uni should continue to go from strength to strength as they get 4-5 academy kids/Swans delists per year. You'd expect in the absence of an alternate offer for BJ to go there on a scholarship next year.

The Brisbane clubs are usually petty well minted as Aspley has a big licensed club, ditto Southport.

Canberra should be viable with the Riverina catchment plus the Canberra GWS Academy cast offs but they may well need some AFL help as understandably GWS won't be helping them at NEAFL level

In time (10 years +) you'd hope the Sydney talent pool will be big enough to look at a second domestic Sydney club but it's really hard to see where that club could come from as Sydney Uni Sports Union are really the only organisation that has the money and ambition to run a NEAFL program locally.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast