Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: Sydney Swans Reserves v GIANTS @ Blacktown International Sports Park

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Because the Swans to have their players in the ressies playing as a team together learning team structures and not spread out across a bunch of teams that they have no direct control over.
    Why can't the swans reserve coaches be across two teams?

Warming the Bench
    My hope would be in 10 years+ all reserves sides play in a national comp, not sure how practical that would be though

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I wouldn't delist Talia. I'd keep him as depth just in case Reg or others get injured
    And this year a girls Auskick has started in Cairns. Only went for 6 weeks but no shortage of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I wouldn't delist Talia. I'd keep him as depth just in case Reg or others get injured
    He seems the obvious reg replacement. I can't understand the way we are treating him. Wouldn't blame him for moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    In time (10 years +) you'd hope the Sydney talent pool will be big enough to look at a second domestic Sydney club but it's really hard to see where that club could come from as Sydney Uni Sports Union are really the only organisation that has the money and ambition to run a NEAFL program locally.
    I'm trying to figure out what you mean here, MP. Do you mean a fourth Sydney club in the NEAFL? By my reckoning, Sydney has two AFL teams, three, NEAFL teams and whole competitions worth at lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Just have an AFL reserves comp. instead of pumping $ into the AFLW, fund the AFL reserves
    I don't understand this comment at all. The AFL needs to invest in women's footy a whole lot more than it does in an AFL reserves comp. Women's footy has received the tiniest fraction of support and attention compared to men's footy for over a hundred years. Why would you preference a 2nd tier men's comp that is working tolerably well (indeed completely fine everywhere except NSW & Queensland) over the premier level of women's footy that has finally gotten a modest amount of support in the form of the AFLW and absolutely exploded out of the blocks? Women have been completely disenfranchised as players for a long time and so have we, the fans, judging by the way we have taken to AFLW. Sure, the skill level in women's footy is lower at this stage, but that is not the players' fault and it is exactly why we need to invest more in women's footy. There is clearly an appetite for the game from both players and fans (although it is the increased appetite from fans that I think has been the game changer) and now the AFL needs to make sure female players get the same opportunities to play, develop and forge a professional career out of footy as men. This is vastly more important and deserving than marginally improving the opportunities for men's reserves teams.

Well said bloodspirit, my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't understand this comment at all. The AFL needs to invest in women's footy a whole lot more than it does in an AFL reserves comp. Women's footy has received the tiniest fraction of support and attention compared to men's footy for over a hundred years. Why would you preference a 2nd tier men's comp that is working tolerably well (indeed completely fine everywhere except NSW & Queensland) over the premier level of women's footy that has finally gotten a modest amount of support in the form of the AFLW and absolutely exploded out of the blocks? Women have been completely disenfranchised as players for a long time and so have we, the fans, judging by the way we have taken to AFLW. Sure, the skill level in women's footy is lower at this stage, but that is not the players' fault and it is exactly why we need to invest more in women's footy. There is clearly an appetite for the game from both players and fans (although it is the increased appetite from fans that I think has been the game changer) and now the AFL needs to make sure female players get the same opportunities to play, develop and forge a professional career out of footy as men. This is vastly more important and deserving than marginally improving the opportunities for men's reserves teams.
    I agree with everything you have said but one thing I'll say is I have no interest in the AFLW. Not because I'm sexist but because there is no Sydney Swans club in the league. Why would I follow another club? If the Sydney Swans went bankrupt n left the men's league I wouldn't support another club so again why would I take an interest in another club in the AFLW? Now this comes back to the point I've made a lot on here n that's that the AFL is very unprofessionally run. It never appears to plan anything long term and has to many fingers in to many pies. Blind Freddy could see a women's league would have worked 10 years ago so why did it take this long to implement? Encourage clubs to field sides in lower leagues with a view to eventually having all the clubs in the AFLW just how Geelong does it now. Personally I'd prefer to see both correctly funded & professionally run.

[QUOTE=Boddo;727710]I have no interest in the AFLW. Not because I'm sexist but because there is no Sydney Swans club in the league. Why would I follow another club? [l/QUOTE]

You can be interested in a sport - any sport - without necessarily being a barracker for any one team or participant. It's quite liberating as it is stress-free! I watched & enjoyed nearly every AFLW match without taking a team as 'mine' (although by the GF I was hoping Brisbane would win as some compensation for their men's team.)

Boddo, I agree it would be great to have a Swans AFLW team but I second Meg's comment too. Don't you watch any AFL matches apart from the Swans' game each week?

I enjoyed watching the AFLW games (some more than others and actually I didn't see that many) just as I enjoy watching some of the other AFL games apart from the Swans matches. In fact it was particularly exciting watching AFLW matches because, apart from the history in the making, the fans and players were just so damn excited about it, and that was infectious! There was this sense that the players were pinching themselves they could hardly believe that the (relative) big time had arrived at long last and the crowds were swept along in the euphoria. It flowed out of the commentators (like Sam Lane) and the fans when they flooded on to the ground post-match, especially the young women and girls, who for the first time saw a pathway to a professional career in footy or could envisage their mates or others having an opportunity that was not previously available.

[QUOTE=Meg;727713]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I have no interest in the AFLW. Not because I'm sexist but because there is no Sydney Swans club in the league. Why would I follow another club? [l/QUOTE]

You can be interested in a sport - any sport - without necessarily being a barracker for any one team or participant. It's quite liberating as it is stress-free! I watched & enjoyed nearly every AFLW match without taking a team as 'mine' (although by the GF I was hoping Brisbane would win as some compensation for their men's team.)
    If I watch a team sport it's normally because I follow a certain team. I watch other games of afl mainly so that way I have an idea of what our opposition would be like when we face them. I watch a lot of underage footy due to my interest in seeing what can be drafted to Sydney. I'm not your Bruce McVeney type who gets excited over certain players of different clubs or other sides. It's like grand final day, if Sydney is not involved I hardly take a passing interest. Hardly seen the WCE v Hawthorn gf n honestly couldn't tell you who played well n how much Hawthorn won by. It may come as a surprise but there is a lot of people like this. Now if Sydney had a side in AFLW I'd probably watch most games as for the reason I stated above.
    Last edited by Boddo; 13th June 2017 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Boddo, I agree it would be great to have a Swans AFLW team but I second Meg's comment too. Don't you watch any AFL matches apart from the Swans' game each week?

I enjoyed watching the AFLW games (some more than others and actually I didn't see that many) just as I enjoy watching some of the other AFL games apart from the Swans matches. In fact it was particularly exciting watching AFLW matches because, apart from the history in the making, the fans and players were just so damn excited about it, and that was infectious! There was this sense that the players were pinching themselves they could hardly believe that the (relative) big time had arrived at long last and the crowds were swept along in the euphoria. It flowed out of the commentators (like Sam Lane) and the fans when they flooded on to the ground post-match, especially the young women and girls, who for the first time saw a pathway to a professional career in footy or could envisage their mates or others having an opportunity that was not previously available.
    Please read my reply to Meg. Plus I'll add I am very happy for the woman that play a part in AFLW. It's way to long overdue imo, the afl dropped the ball on this one. I watch every game of afl plus as much underage footy as possible depending on what's available.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast