Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: Sydney Swans Reserves v GIANTS @ Blacktown International Sports Park

Fisher again in the best players, and a goal getter. I was very impressed with him on the only game I have seen live.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Assume you are there Ugg?
    Looked up Ronke's resume, Captain of Calder Cannon's, big tank, only downside seemed to be disposal by foot, now two kicks for two goals, might have been worth the wait!
    Ryan O"Keefe was also captain of Calder Cannons I believe.

I think it's a great result even if the opposition was weak. First, it's very satisfying to the thrash the Giants any which way. However deep our list may be theirs is deeper. It's only that at the moment they're extremely depleted and we were close to full strength. So I agree we can't read too much into the result. Second, it's very pleasing that we were professional and gave a four quarter effort despite the relatively weak opposition. Third, it's great that we got the opportunity to trial a few players in some different positions and see how they went. Fourth, the Giants would be among our main opposition for the flag (once they get their players back). So, if we can hurt them as much as possible by not only denying them points, but damaging their percentage as much as possible, they may miss finals altogether.

Nice work Swans!

I feel a little sorry for their listed players, especially Mzungu. It's a long way from playing AFL to getting walloped in the twos with nothing much to be done about it.

Was Finlayson playing defence? Makes sense that their defenders were among their best performed - they would have had a lot more opportunity than our defenders which makes Laidler's effort all the more impressive. It seems he really adjusted well to the game situation.

Also interesting to see that Florent and Mzungu both got among the bests even though they were playing on each other. It looks like Florent won that battle but he had the advantage of a lot of quality assistance from his team mates.

Less positively, disappointing to see that Aliir did not get among the bests and press his case for a recall. It seems he isn't coming to grips with whatever they are asking of him. I wonder what it is and why not. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Less positively, disappointing to see that Aliir did not get among the bests and press his case for a recall. It seems he isn't coming to grips with whatever they are asking of him. I wonder what it is and why not. Hmmm.
    At the moment it's very difficult for anyone to break into the seniors. It's a really healthy situation for Aliir and the others (Florent, Dawson, Maubain, Tippett, COR) to have to demand to be picked.

The only player I think will waltz back into the seniors is Rohan and apart from old Swampy who is always the fall guy I can't really see how anyone else could get dropped for those six guys I quoted above. Aliir for Melican? I don't think so. McVeigh is the other provided he can get match fitness and he should come back through the twos

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Yes the Giants were weak but they have put up reasonable performances lately. I think the score line is definitely more a reflection of the tough professional brand of football that Shaw has drilled into this side. They kept up the intensity for all four quarters despite the game well and truly being over second quarter. You could hear and I mean literally hear the messages from the bench and the players coming on to keep up the standards.
    I really like what I've seen and heard of Shaw the coach. Even in his last years as a player he put a lot of his time into developing the youth.

Do you think he will move past Kirk as the assistant most likely?

Kirk's stint in the media put me off him as a head coach. Anyone remember that horrendous intro he gave?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

We won't need Aliir for the Richmond game, but we will definitely need him in the following week against Essendon. Otherwise, we simply cannot cover Daniher, Hooker and Stewart. The Bombers are ripping PA apart with their speed and tall forward line. We can't let that game get away from us. We better get our fast game up and going the next couple of weeks.

Tippett will have to stay out of the side for at least the next 2 weeks, but we will need Rohan's speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    So they moved Aliir into ruck-forward and Pink into Aliir's defensive spot. And while Aliir wasn't amazing at the tapwork aspect of rucking he was electric in open play. There's a touch of the Leo Barrys about it, i.e. I'm excited and scared at the same time because I have no idea what he's doing and most of the time I'm sure he has no idea either.
    May I add my thanks to you Ugg for another of your terrific reports - they're invaluable. The summation of Aliir is poetry.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We won't need Aliir for the Richmond game, but we will definitely need him in the following week against Essendon. Otherwise, we simply cannot cover Daniher, Hooker and Stewart. The Bombers are ripping PA apart with their speed and tall forward line. We can't let that game get away from us. We better get our fast game up and going the next couple of weeks.

Tippett will have to stay out of the side for at least the next 2 weeks, but we will need Rohan's speed.
    Agree with all your points. Essendon's height and fast transition, along with their fierce tackling and and good skills was quite scary tonight.

Really looking forward to getting to the SCG nice and early and seeing a full NEAFL game Friday week

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Agree with all your points. Essendon's height and fast transition, along with their fierce tackling and and good skills was quite scary tonight.
    Just had a look at the replay. Very quick and skilled with all the key positions covered with the right type of players. VERY scary!

I suppose it was to be expected with the influx of players after the ban ended.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    After yesterday, Essendon are now a competitor for our spot in the eight. Games against these sides become the classic eight point games, we have to win them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast