Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
I really like what I've seen and heard of Shaw the coach. Even in his last years as a player he put a lot of his time into developing the youth.

Do you think he will move past Kirk as the assistant most likely?

Kirk's stint in the media put me off him as a head coach. Anyone remember that horrendous intro he gave?
"Most likely" to what? Be next head coach? Neither of these guys is yet close to being head coach. I think that generally the 'development coach' who's put in charge of the NEAFL side is lower status and can progress to coaching the senior side if they do well enough (did Francou do this? I forget). So while he is doing fabulously, Shawry is only in his second season and a long way off being head coach. It's a lot harder to evaluate the other assistant coaches (Dew, Blakey, Francou, Kirk, Playfair) because they work as a team and behind/under Horse and it's harder to know what to attribute to them compared with the reserves coach who has a team to him/her self. [The exception is Taubo, because his role is so distinct.] So I can't say I have a strong opinion of Kirk's coaching but I love his ethos and leadership he demonstrated as a player and so I am glad to have him at our club for that reason. Plus he's had a few years of development under his belt with Rossy Lyon even before he continued his coaching career with us.

I wonder if Macca will move into coaching next year and, if so, where? He's capable, I would think, of having a trajectory a bit like Tom Harley, rather than a conventional coaching career, if he chose that.