Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 13 V Richmond

Richmond are a very good tackling side in their F50 i think they create more forward half t/o than other teams. Going with a slightly more mobile back 6 for when the ball hits the deck. Still maybe Marsh for Melican may have been better

I don't mind that change. While Melican has been playing well and is unlucky, it is a horses for courses type of change. Richmond has a forward line of one tall in Riewoldt and a host of smaller players.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Don't like it. Not sure Reg as much as I love him, is right match up for Reiwoldt. I'd have kept Melican for that, plus flexibility if they rest a ruck or Astbury forward. To be clear I would have played both and reckon we structure better with two talls.

I'm not sure who it was earlier in the year we played with Reg as our only tall but it didn't work.

Hope I'm wrong and can see the logic of Horse's decision - and am still optimistic given our form - but ...

Veterans List
    It's what every coach wants, mismatches in their favour. This looks to be a selection based on what the opposition have, only one real key tall forward and a team with overall speed. So we drop a tall defender and bring in speed.

This now gives Hardwick something to think about, needs to negate a real mix of forwards, Buddy, Reid, Rohan, Papley, Hayward, KJ/resting mids.

I'm sure Melican will return to tackle the Bombers tall forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Don't like it. Not sure Reg as much as I love him, is right match up for Reiwoldt. I'd have kept Melican for that, plus flexibility if they rest a ruck or Astbury forward. To be clear I would have played both and reckon we structure better with two talls.

I'm not sure who it was earlier in the year we played with Reg as our only tall but it didn't work.

Hope I'm wrong and can see the logic of Horse's decision - and am still optimistic given our form - but ...
    From memory didn't Reiwoldt towel up Teddy last year and Rampe ended up playing on him.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Griffiths kicked five on Ted

It was a good move to keep Marsh in and drop a tall defender and I suppose it was never going to be Reg, despite not having a good record against Riewoldt. We will probably have to bring back Melican, and Aliir as well, the following week against Essendon.
    Last edited by liz; 15th June 2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Part in very poor taste deleted

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Think that's the only time Griffiths has ever shown he is AFL standard! Seem to remember perennial potato Vickery having a very good game against us once.

On another tack, I like to keep an eye on the emergencies, shows who is in line if they keep performing in the NEAFL, this week - Jordan Dawson, Ollie Florent and just upgraded rookie Shaun Edwards, who will south travel tomorrow whilst the others head to Qld?
    Last edited by liz; 15th June 2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Deleted quoted text, itself now deleted

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Think that's the only time Griffiths has ever shown he is AFL standard! Seem to remember perennial potato Vickery having a very good game against us once.

On another tack, I like to keep an eye on the emergencies, shows who is in line if they keep performing in the NEAFL, this week - Jordan Dawson, Ollie Florent and just upgraded rookie Shaun Edwards, who will south travel tomorrow whilst the others head to Qld?

- - - Updated - - -

Out of order Ludwig!
    Hopefully Ollie plays reserves again to build up a run of games. Reckon Dawson has earned traveling emergency.

Fine with the senior changes. We've a dangerous forward 50, with and without the ball. Let's hope Reid can string a couple of games together.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that did baffle me on my first look at their stats. However what really stands out about them is their excellent defensive stats, particularly limiting teams from scoring when they enter Richmond's defensive 50.

In addition, as mentioned previously they are very direct. Despite having such low disposal numbers, they average the 3rd most Inside 50s in the AFL.
    Cheers for this analysis; helpful.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    My money is on Edwards being the travelling emergency. Since there are financial implications involved in a rookie elevation they wouldn't waste it if he wasn't needed

So only missing 5 that we all thought end of 2016 would feature in the 22 for 2017

Tip
    Macca
    Robbo
    HarryC
    AA

And now Melican out who looks likely for 2017 and beyond

Veteran Site Admin
    Did he? I thought it was Reg who was towelled up by Griffiths, but my memory is somewhat hazy. It's not a game I've dwelt on too much.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast