Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 13 V Richmond

Neil Cordy suggests Towers and Melican are in danger of being replaced by Rohan / Dawson & Aliir.

Just on the rucks: if the Dees only equalled the clearances with an extra midfielder (and despite losing the hitouts) how were they better off without a ruck? Assuming clearances are equal, you might still prefer to have a ruck with a different body shape to the other players on the field so you can mismatch them with the opponents and gain an advantage e.g. via their physical presence or ability to get their hands to the ball and either mark it (not in the case of Naismith/Sinclair) or bring it to ground. Would definitely be better if they were marking it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Despite this analysis and the fact Melbourne won the game, the Melb coach Goodwin is keen to have Gawn and possibly Spencer in the side for this wk. He clearly values the role of the ruckman
    Max Gawn is a very good footballer, whether in the ruck or around the ground. Takes marks and kicks goals. I'd have him in my team too.

What Melbourne have shown over this period without a ruckman is that there alternative ways to approach the stoppages which can be just as effective as having a dominant ruckman.

Hopefully Richmond bring in Ivan Soldo to help out in the ruck so Reg can have an opponent to play on. Naismith can handle both of them easily. Against Nankervis alone, I wouldn't mind rucking Aliir and Reid against him and take the advantage around the ground. I would even ruck Reg against Nanka. Reg doesn't play Jack Riewoldt well and all the other Tiger forwards are small zippy types, so I don't know what Reg will do for the day. Maybe he'll have to play forward or go one on one against Dusty.

Swap the reserves for the firsts.
    They had a screamer last week.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Neil Cordy suggests Towers and Melican are in danger of being replaced by Rohan / Dawson & Aliir.
    Where did he say/write this? It's interesting because he was sitting near the Swans coaches at the NEAFL game for at least a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Where did he say/write this? It's interesting because he was sitting near the Swans coaches at the NEAFL game for at least a quarter.
    No Cookies | Herald Sun

NEIL CORDY�S FORECAST: Dean Towers is likely to lose his spot to Jordan Dawson who was outstanding in the NEAFL kicking four goals and gathering 25 disposals and making 11 tackles. He looked a little overawed in his debut against the Magpies but will be better for the run. Aliir will get his chance to show his enormous talents on the open spaces of the MCG at the expense of Melican.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

NEIL CORDY�S FORECAST: Dean Towers is likely to lose his spot to Jordan Dawson who was outstanding in the NEAFL kicking four goals and gathering 25 disposals and making 11 tackles. He looked a little overawed in his debut against the Magpies but will be better for the run. Aliir will get his chance to show his enormous talents on the open spaces of the MCG at the expense of Melican.
    If true feel for Towers as I don't think he's done much wrong but like I've said in other threads I'm a big Dawson fan n would like to see him given an extended stay in the seniors to allow him to develop his game more. As for Melican getting dropped it shows that the club was playing Aliir in the ruck/forward position so that he didn't languish in the back half hardly getting the ball as the reserves have had some easy games with the ball spending a lot of time in the forward half.

Whose going out fend Dusty ?

For me Marsh or a player like him is always been a selection that allows our backline to rotate more attacking players

If marsh can play a more shut down role on medium to smalls we can then have another backline attacking rotation

Because marsh is strong overhead and reasonably quick he can play on a 191cm down to a small

That frees up our attacking small to medium defenders to be more offensive

I suspect marsh may keep being nick smiths understudy and take over a nick smith type role in the future

Veterans List
    Melican for Aliir, I can see why we could but gee Melican (and a heap of us) would consider himself unlucky.

Dawson for Towers, memories of last years Richmond game at the MCG maybe? I want to see Dawson on the big stage again, has all the tools.

Senior Player
    Cordy has good inside info. But, my God, considering that, he can sometimes be spectacularly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Cordy has good inside info. But, my God, considering that, he can sometimes be spectacularly wrong.
    I'd be really surprised to see Melican dropped for Aliir as he's looked pretty solid to me.

Like the idea of Marsh becoming Nick Smiths's replacement

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast