Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are the Swans not bidding for the AFLW?

We don't have the room.
    We don't have the money.
    It should be a "touch" game and not a tackle game.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    It should be a "touch" game and not a tackle game.
    I think you're being ironic?

I think it's embarrassing and disappointing that the Swans are one of just two teams that aren't interested. I doubt the other 16 teams all have the best facilities but they have made it work or are at least willing to try. The Lions - one of the grand finalists from this years comp - are still looking for an appropriate ground for their team. Would the players and supporters rather they waited until they had one? I doubt it after the season they've just had. The AFLW generated a huge amount of interest and goodwill for the AFL and the Swans are choosing to be left behind, and are leaving their members who would love to support a women's team stranded.

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    I think it's embarrassing and disappointing that the Swans are one of just two teams that aren't interested. I doubt the other 16 teams all have the best facilities but they have made it work or are at least willing to try. The Lions - one of the grand finalists from this years comp - are still looking for an appropriate ground for their team. Would the players and supporters rather they waited until they had one? I doubt it after the season they've just had. The AFLW generated a huge amount of interest and goodwill for the AFL and the Swans are choosing to be left behind, and are leaving their members who would love to support a women's team stranded.
    I think the Swans reaction is commendable and I think your reaction is errm, reactionary

At the moment we simply don't have the resources or infrastructure to do this properly. I do think North Sydney Oval would be a brilliant venue if available but I suspect it simply isn't.

And whatever people say on here the talent just isn't there at the moment. You reference to us to Brisbane but the number of women up there blows Sydney way out of the water right now.

But the game for girls is going gangbusters and I believe there will be enough talent in 4-5 years which is why the announcement of the Girls Academy for 12-13 year olds is so significant. We've been unequivocal about wanting a team but we'll do it properly, like we do with everything we'll do
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 15th June 2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Incidentally does NWL=AFLW??
    Yes it does. The announcement that the new women's competition would be called 'AFLW' was made just before the beginning of the first season which commenced in February 2017. The Swans statement that uses 'NWL' was made in April 2016 when that title was generally used.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think the Swans reaction is commendable and I think your reaction is errm, reactionary

At the moment we simply don't have the resources or infrastructure to do this properly. I do think North Sydney Oval would be a brilliant venue if available but I suspect it simply isn't.

And whatever people say on here the talent just isn't there at the moment. You reference to us to Brisbane but the number of women up there blows Sydney way out of the water right now.

But the game for girls is going gangbusters and I believe there will be enough talent in 4-5 years which is why the announcement of the Girls Academy for 12-13 year olds is so significant. We've been unequivocal about wanting a team but we'll do it properly, like we do with everything we'll do
    I am disappointed that the Swans aren't yet able to support a women's team but, like you, I'm not disappointed in the club. I would much rather they do it properly, when they have the facilities to do so, rather than rush into something they're not able to support yet.

I doubt the AFL will grant another 8 licences for 2019. I suspect it will be four - one to Geelong, one to Freo, maybe one to the Suns (if the AFL thinks they can support it) and one to another Melbourne based club. Geographically, St Kilda or Hawthorn would make sense, given there's not currently a club to the east of Melbourne. The Swans should be ready by the following wave of licences and I doubt they will be penalised by not applying earlier. So long as the demand to play is there, I imagine a second team in Sydney would be attractive to the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am disappointed that the Swans aren't yet able to support a women's team but, like you, I'm not disappointed in the club. I would much rather they do it properly, when they have the facilities to do so, rather than rush into something they're not able to support yet.
    This is my view as well. If the Swans had a women's team now it would be almost a separate entity, segregated from the men's team and the club facilities. And how many would make the hike to support them if they played at Blacktown?

The Giants have an enviable integrated set up for their men and women at Tom Wills Oval at Olympic Park. I hope that is what the club is seeking to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    I agree 100%

The Swans aren't ready? Why not? Did the idea come out of the blue without warning?

The reason they aren't ready is because it isn't a priority for the club. They are paying the idea lip service only. I had an idea of our club as a leader in the competition, but clearly I am wrong.

I find it difficult to accept that the Swans are the worst (or 2nd worst) equipped club in the competition to field a women's team.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I agree 100%

The Swans aren't ready? Why not? Did the idea come out of the blue without warning?

The reason they aren't ready is because it isn't a priority for the club. They are paying the idea lip service only. I had an idea of our club as a leader in the competition, but clearly I am wrong.

I find it difficult to accept that the Swans are the worst (or 2nd worst) equipped club in the competition to field a women's team.
    So, starting an elite level development programme for women players via the Academy is just lip service for you is it?

I take the club at their word re their commitment long term but I'd prefer us to do it properly.

Some people are never happy and always looking for something to whinge about, then again if you want to get your knickers in a knot over this in Abu Dhabi then knock yourself out...

Why are the Swans not bidding for the AFLW?

Might be worth re-visiting statements the club has made about its objective of having a dedicated training facility in the Moore Park vicinity. This just before the 2017 season:

"Sydney Swans chief executive and managing director Andrew Ireland says the Club is continuing to push ahead with plans to build a new training and administration base."

"Ireland said the building would be world class and was one of the key priorities for the Club off the field in 2017."

Swans search for new base - sydneyswans.com.au

And this article from 2016 also has some relevant commentary and quotes from Andrew Ireland:

"..... it has emerged the club is searching Sydney for a venue that can be redeveloped to stage matches for their reserves side in the NEAFL competition and also be a home for their Academy and a possible women's team. It could also be used for preseason training, though the club's preferred position is to keep its training and administration base within the Moore Park precinct."

Sydney Swans, AFL eye Henson Park as home for 'elite second-tier' facility

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    So, starting an elite level development programme for women players via the Academy is just lip service for you is it?

I take the club at their word re their commitment long term but I'd prefer us to do it properly.

Some people are never happy and always looking for something to whinge about, then again if you want to get your knickers in a knot over this in Abu Dhabi then knock yourself out...
    If the Andrew Ireland came to work tomorrow and decided that it was a priority it would get done.

I don't like the idea that in 100 years the Swans will be known as the last team that permitted women to play in the AFL. What's so wrong with believing the club should be leading the way on this issue?

Not sure what geography has to do with it. Only people from where ever you are can have an opinion?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

I don't think the AFLW will ever get to 18 teams, so the swans have probably missed out all together.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast