Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why are the Swans not bidding for the AFLW?

Do the swans girls academy players go to the giants once they are old enough?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Do the swans girls academy players go to the giants once they are old enough?
    They can choose to nominate for the NSW draft or any other state draft if they wish.
    If they nominate for NSW only then GWS is their only chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    In what way would the Swans' "training and administrative facilities" not be up to scratch for a women's team?
    That's discussed earlier in this thread but here's some more info.

"...... Tramway Oval (is) where the Swans train over the pre-season due to cricket at the SCG ............. "

"Itís not just the Swans who make use of the narrow training field over summer. Tramway Oval is also used by the Waratahs and the QBE Sydney Swans Academy, which will this year include some 600 members."

"The absence of an alternative training ground was a key factor in Sydney delaying a bid for an AFL womenís team, along with the Swans having outgrown their existing training and administration base."

Swans back on greener pastures - sydneyswans.com.au

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Another free kick to the Giants.
    Twice I've been forced to agree with Barry in a week. This could become a habit.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Site Admin Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    That's discussed earlier in this thread but here's some more info.

"...... Tramway Oval (is) where the Swans train over the pre-season due to cricket at the SCG ............. "

"Itís not just the Swans who make use of the narrow training field over summer. Tramway Oval is also used by the Waratahs and the QBE Sydney Swans Academy, which will this year include some 600 members."

"The absence of an alternative training ground was a key factor in Sydney delaying a bid for an AFL womenís team, along with the Swans having outgrown their existing training and administration base."

Swans back on greener pastures - sydneyswans.com.au
    Exactly this. I spoke to Dean Moore about this a few months ago - Club needs to expand their training facilities just for the men's, so the future of an AFL Women's team is tied to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

There was a lot of talk about 12 months ago about the Swans signing a deal for a new training base. This talk seems to have gone quiet. It would be a key factor I think as the facilities around the SCG are just too small now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vibe I got from the recent press releases is that they are actually getting closer to sorting out a training base in the Moore Park precinct, which is obviously their preference. Alternatives are just that: a plan B if Moore park doesn't work out. Assuming they can work something out at Moore Park, I assume the cost will be higher. It will also mean we are tied to the precinct for the long term. I hope it works out.

Also, I think it's not just the oval they need to train on but offices/change rooms/gym space etc is also at a premium. At least they are not in demountables like the Giants once were.

I reckon the Swans are going about it in a very smart way that will almost guarantee future success in AFLW.

The links they're forming with the UNSW-ES Stingrays with coaches and players are setting them up to have a pool of staff with years of development and experience before they even hit the track for the first time.

As for 10 year careers with GWS for the players being drafted in the next couple years, I wouldn't take it as a given. AFLW contracts presently are 24 months with the league and 12 months with the clubs. I doubt anyone will be signing long contracts for a while yet.

The Swans will hit the ground running when they start, I'd put my house on it.

The bulk of GWS current list are in the Swans 'zone'. Their head coach is a former Swan. GWS may have the licence, but they will need to do a lot of work to catch up to what the Swans already have ready to go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234