Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 13 V Richmond. MCG. 13.45 pm.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I was at the game with a friend who is an umpire. I was saying to him that we only had 3 players in the square. He said the decision was correct as once the umpire sets up/comes in to bounce, no other players can move into the square. It was the fault of our midfielders not getting it right.
    Fair enough. I've just learned something about the rules.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Great decision dropping Melican for Rohan. Such a good backman young Gary
    Should have held your horses

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    It's way beyond the officials

I'm not even bothered by that

Horse talks about sticking to what u can control

The coaching department last week provided a fantastic blend of constested and uncontested structures and licence to adjust

This week the tigers are showing us the perfect blend

They have evolved so much in their last couple options and their varied transitions

Have we evolved ? No

Has our game strategy dissolved? Yes !!!

Has ou opposition evolved ? Massively

Don't get wrong i still think we can win this we just have to adjust and get the game on our terms by employing the variety we displayed last week in controlling the game via uncontested and then foot to the floor with contested !!!
    Amazing the amount of premature panicking on this thread. Their pressure dropped off and ours lifted leading to a brilliant win

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Imagine
    Just imagine for one moment what the score would be right now if we blended our style of play in the first qtr

Imagine if it was 15-20 or similar !!!

The first qtr is what I'm watching of the swans of late

I am fascinated on what strategy we use to minimise scoreboard pressure against decent teams like the tigers this season

I see teams like the tigers playing such varied transitions and mature uncontested entries as well smart variations in the contested and exists from this

I see the opposite our first qtr

80% teams loosing in the third qtr loose the game

We have to be with in with a fight first qtr to have any decent chance at the 3 qtr mark
    All about the pressure - hard to execute a strategy without time and space. Same with Tigers in second half. Not rocket science,

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I watched the whole game with the sound muted and just listened to my own commentary...
    it was brilliant but blasphemous.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Just watched the last 2 minutes on the AFL site. Newman passes to Smith who marks right on the grass cut. He goes back and the Richmond player runs half the grass cut over the mark. Should have been 50 metre penalty.

An absolutely outstanding game by Newman. He really is a smart player. Hanners had the stats but boy did he slaughter the footy by foot. Thought Hewett was pretty good plus plenty of others. By the way who played on Martin? I thought he was pretty ineffective.
    Hewett started on Martin but we abandoned that tag in the second quarter.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Buddy's report was a joke and the high contact free kick that happened later with Rance was complete garbage - the umpire was sucked right in.
    The umpires are so far up Rance's behind, it's sickening. Commentators too....ABC Grandstand votes were: 3 votes...Nick Newman, 2 votes...Alex Rance and 1 vote...Jake Lloyd....and, back to the umpires, we know they don't like Buddy, so for all the talk about Rance being Buddy's 'bogeyman', he has a massive leg up from the 'flouro scum'......or should we just call them 'scumpires'?
    Last edited by stevoswan; 17th June 2017 at 10:12 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    This article says that Franklin was legally entitled to run into the center square before the ball was bounced

Talking Points - Round 13 - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The umpires are so far up Rance's behind, it's sickening. Commentators too....ABC Grandstand votes were: 3 votes...Nick Newman, 2 votes...Alex Rance and 1 vote...Jake Lloyd....and, back to the umpires, we know they don't like Buddy, so for all the talk about Rance being Buddy's 'bogeyman', he has a massive leg up from the 'flouro scum'......or should we just call them 'scumpires'?
    3aw (Leigh Matthews) gave
    1 - Dusty Martin
    2 - Astbury
    3 - Newman
    4 - Lloyd
    5 - Rance

Haha.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    1 - Dusty Martin
    2 - Astbury
    3 - Newman
    4 - Lloyd
    5 - Rance

Haha.
    Matthews is as deluded as the scumpires!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    1 - Dusty Martin
    2 - Astbury
    3 - Newman
    4 - Lloyd
    5 - Rance

Haha.
    Cant remember Dusty doing anything?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Matthews is as deluded as the scumpires!
    Matthews in my opinion is pretty dispassionate and even handed. Can see why he gave these votes. There are 2 sides playing.

BF
    I disagree
    I'm not having a go at u
    I am frustrated by what I see and if that is different to u that's how it is

I have a simple philosophy in sport and that is don't be a sucker. Evolve evolve evolve your understanding , your strategy, your set up, your flexibility to execute

I'm am stating:

1. We are not flexible enough with our styles of football week to week and we have been found out too many times this season when we needed to adjust to who we had in our 22 ie all out high pressure footy contested footy needs to be relative to who u have and who the opposition has and what is flowing and what is not

2. We allow too many teams this year to get an unnecessary and significant lead in the first qtr and 2qtr. I say unnecessary because it is preventable. This is bavks to the walk stuff and to risky.....way to risky to finish enough games like we did miraculously today

Does anyone really believe that we couldn't have gone sideways and backwards more for uncontested options ie especially in the first qtr when we sensed the Occassion that the tigers brought and the structures they had in place to counter our norm set up

We did this brilliantly last week !!!

Why can't we create the ultimate pressure for the opposition ie don't let them have the bloody ball in the first and 2nd qtr via uncontested possession if it is required ....then once we have our rhythm rain bloody hell with our fierce contested direct football which does work well in the right match up

I feel a few poeple on this forum don't get how much I love high pressure contested football

I love it
    I friggen love watching and loved playing this style in every sport I have played high pressure contested as priority 1 but even as a non professional I recognised to be flexible to the flow of the game and adjust

But I'm not an idiot......I don't think think one style always wins

I don't think that opposition coaches are morons and haven't looked at our predictable style year after year

We adjusted our game plan beautifully last week .......after 11 rounds we mixed it up massively in the contested vs un contested and that was irrefutable as the stats showed first two qtrs and final qtrs

We were flexible and changed gears between high pressure low pressure football in attack and defence

What I hate though is not being able to adapt to the situation at hand and that was the Tigers were ready for our predicatable way we set up around the contest and extract to transition

they were set up for transition from the contest very very well and an antidote to us and they were super smart in maintaining possession with small entries into their attacking arc so we didn't counter quickly by winning a contested mark or spoils

Yes we won

But we seriously seriously seriously don't need to sabotage the first two qtrs to do it

We can give ourselves such a platform to storm home

We can minimise scoreboard pressure first two qtrs by adjusting and being flexible in our attack and defence like we did against the Dogs last week
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 17th June 2017 at 10:56 PM.