Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 14 V Essendon

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Aliir cleared, Macca in the mix - sydneyswans.com.au

Aliir Aliir�s been cleared of any major structural damage to the knee he injured in the NEAFL last weekend and is set to train with the main group on Wednesday.

Swans Head of Football Tom Harley said it�s a good outcome for the dashing defender.

�Aliir had a really strong game � he�s had a really strong couple of weeks both on the track and in the NEAFL,� Harley said in this week�s HCF Injury Update.
    Just on that article. It also said that McVeigh has been training with AJ during his injury time off. Does anyone have any knowledge of AJ's progress? Is there any chance he will play this year?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Need BBBH to return to the club to tell Jones that uncontrolled aggression is a problem
    I'd pay to watch Jones v Hall, not sure what the rules would be though

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'd pay to watch Jones v Hall, not sure what the rules would be though
    In their prime I'd pick Hall. Bigger, strong n knew how to throw a punch. Former vic boxing champ. Johnny Lewis said Hall if he'd left footy earlier would have won an Aussie pro heavyweight title easy. It's not to say Jones is any lesser man though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    In their prime I'd pick Hall. Bigger, strong n knew how to throw a punch. Former vic boxing champ. Johnny Lewis said Hall if he'd left footy earlier would have won an Aussie pro heavyweight title easy. It's not to say Jones is any lesser man though.
    In their prime?! BBBH today (194cm 104kg with the wingspan of an albotros), with one eye closed and one hand tied behind his back would put Zac (181cm 79kg) in his place pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    In their prime?! BBBH today (194cm 104kg with the wingspan of an albotros), with one eye closed and one hand tied behind his back would put Zac (181cm 79kg) in his place pretty quickly.
    Barry Hall is 40. If you have spent any time in any type of combat sport you know by then your an absolute shadow of what you used to be. Yes I've fought at the highest level possible so I'm pretty sure I can say this. I have read that both Jones brothers regularly train in boxing and at times together. Jones would have a tonne of endurance over Barry now. You tell him to get in close work the body, hold & wear him down leaning on him n in the later rounds you'd have your chance. I'm speaking from experience sparring heavyweights. Jones now would have a very slight chance but both in their prime Hall would finish it easy. And most fighters when comparing each other always talk about when both are in their prime and at their absolute best.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yes. I may not be aligned with the swans selection committee on this one.

Who is our big bodied "gorilla" defender to replace Reg, if not Talia ?
    Maibaum

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Barry Hall is 40. If you have spent any time in any type of combat sport you know by then your an absolute shadow of what you used to be. Yes I've fought at the highest level possible so I'm pretty sure I can say this. I have read that both Jones brothers regularly train in boxing and at times together. Jones would have a tonne of endurance over Barry now. You tell him to get in close work the body, hold & wear him down leaning on him n in the later rounds you'd have your chance. I'm speaking from experience sparring heavyweights. Jones now would have a very slight chance but both in their prime Hall would finish it easy. And most fighters when comparing each other always talk about when both are in their prime and at their absolute best.
    While I confess that I have never tried to pit my muscularly challenged physique in physical combat against any foe, and I do not doubt your claim of pugilism at the highest level possible, and yes Hall is 40, George Forman won a heavy weight title at 45 and successfully defended it at 46, 47 and 48. Now I'm not saying BBBH is as capable as Forman. I might suggest that Zac probably isn't a challenger for a world title though. I don't know either Hall or Jones personally, but my uninformed intuition suggests to me that 1/3 of foot taller and 20kg heavier and a somewhat short fuse, Hall would (in my uninformed opinion) probably make short work of Jones. But as you say, you know more about such things than I, so I'll defer to your experience and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    While I confess that I have never tried to pit my muscularly challenged physique in physical combat against any foe, and I do not doubt your claim of pugilism at the highest level possible, and yes Hall is 40, George Forman won a heavy weight title at 45 and successfully defended it at 46, 47 and 48. Now I'm not saying BBBH is as capable as Forman. I might suggest that Zac probably isn't a challenger for a world title though. I don't know either Hall or Jones personally, but my uninformed intuition suggests to me that 1/3 of foot taller and 20kg heavier and a somewhat short fuse, Hall would (in my uninformed opinion) probably make short work of Jones. But as you say, you know more about such things than I, so I'll defer to your experience and wisdom.
    If you were handling jones you'd negotiate for 90kg fight. The weight loss would tear him apart inside you'd have a few months in which jones would put on 5-10 kg easy n then all of sudden you hardly have any weight difference. Hall would have to come out n fight damn hard for atleast the first four rounds to finish it n after that with weight loss, age n the fact his body would not be up to hardened training as he hasn't trained in a professional environment for a while n there's jones chance. Sadly there's a hell of a lota politics n backroom stuff in the fight game which no1 ever sees. Hall in his prime wins n wins easy but right now with a hell of a lot of variables involved Jones has a very small chance like I've said but I have said very small. Anyway this thread is getting off track so I'll say one thing n that's that I expect Sydney to win n win easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Maibaum
    +1

Warming the Bench
    Perhaps the selection committee will go for stability and only make forced changes.

Jones out and Melican in.

I'd like to see Dawson get a run but Towers would be the unlucky one.

Please Horse - no McVeigh. Agree with others he needs some game time in the NEAFL to show he can get through a game without injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Perhaps the selection committee will go for stability and only make forced changes.

Jones out and Melican in.

I'd like to see Dawson get a run but Towers would be the unlucky one.

Please Horse - no McVeigh. Agree with others he needs some game time in the NEAFL to show he can get through a game without injury.
    Yes, Melican in for Jones would be my preferred option. Mainly because Melican lost his place, for the tactical reason, that we only needed one tall defender for Riewoldt. So since his form before that was solid, he deserves to come back in.
    Like many others, I'm a bit torn regarding the Towers versus Dawson decision. On one hand, Dawson has been kicking the door down with his form in the ressies, and Towers wasn't great on the weekend. On the other hand, Towers has looked better, since he has been playing less of an outside role: with the game he played against the Bulldogs being very good. Interestingly, he seems to be a better decision maker, when he has less time to make decisions. But anyway, I think that he would be unlucky to get dropped.

Out: Jones, Marsh, Towers
    In: Melican, Aliir, Dawson

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast