Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 14 V Essendon

I still strongly believe to allow ur backline to be strong in counter attack and setting up of play u must nullify the impact of the oppositions forwards

For Lloyd, jones, Newman, Rampe, mills to be able to get loose and be the counter attack we need we have to have a few at least in a lock down type role

Smith
    Grundy
    Marsh
    With the other guys in the backline rotation obviously defenders but getting loose of their run with where ever possible

Lloyd and Newman and jones had those roles on the weekend and it worked well second half

Matchups are vital so the players we want free can play free

Towers has had more run with roles negating the positioning of outside players which has provided more freedom for our runners

My gut feeling is in the small SCG

Out : jones
    In : Melican

For me Dawson is more an intro in round 16 against a team like the Suns. I still think Florent is ahead of Dawson especially if we went to a higher % of uncontested football to start the first half like we did against the Bulldogs and in this situation I would free up Rampe to play more open along with Newman and Lloyd and have the following change

Out : jones , towers
    In : Melican, Florent

Not seen one comment in favour of McVeigh in this week... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Not seen one comment in favour of McVeigh in this week... anyone?
    Well, I still think that McVeigh is a highly skilled player, and whose experience can have a calming influence. But at the moment, we are possibly the form team of the competition, with pretty well every player performing well. There's also guys in the ressies who deserve to be picked. So in that situation, he will probably have to demonstrate form and fitness in the NEAFL, before getting selected in the firsts.
    Which I think is sort of healthy and the type of problem, that a few other teams would be glad to have.

Ludwig's voice needs to be heard. Since he isn't here to provide it*, allow me:

Sinclair should definitely be dropped. He is a waste of space. He can't mark and doesn't kick goals. Aliir should definitely come in to replace him. Aliir can do everything: ruck, play forward, play wing, rebound of half back, intercept anything and everything, make cheese, play violin sonatas and channel the divine. It's a no brainer. Form like Dawson's is also too good to ignore. He has to play. Naismith is only good for winning hitouts and they are overrated. Towers can chip in to help out in the ruck along with Aliir and Reid. Have you noticed how well the Demons have been doing without Gawn and Spencer? I have no idea why they are contemplating bringing back Gawn this round. Bring Dawson in for Naismith. Next, Marsh is OK but we need more height in the backline, especially since Aliir won't have much opportunity to help out down there with all the other stuff he'll be doing - bring back Melican. We also need to play more youth. Unfortunately we can't play Murray or Fisher due to their rookie status but Florent has been great in the reserves and we can get him back in the team. Who to leave out? It's a toss up between Towers, Grundy and K.Jack. Grundy and Jack are old, past it more or less and besides we're counting on Towers to ruck, so it has to be one of those. If we weren't playing Essendon, I'd say Grundy but since we are we may as well leave out Kieren Jack. This team is clearly better than the one we put out against Richmond, so we are bound to win.^ For all your other queries, contact me, Ludwig@ChiangMaiSolutions.

* Where are you Ludwig?
    ^ So long as we lock Tom Harley out of the ground. Preferably we also move Rhyce Shaw into the head coach's seat and Horse and the others can all bump along one. Goodbye to the IT/stats kid, who can move to the corridor.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A truly Ludwigian effort - a rich mixture of profound wisdom and utter madness!

The only changes I'd make:
    Out - Jones
    In - Dawson
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Out: Jones, Marsh, Towers
    In: Melican, Aliir, Dawson
    +1

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A truly Ludwigian effort - a rich mixture of profound wisdom and utter madness!

The only changes I'd make:
    Out - Jones
    In - Dawson
    I think it's a near certainty that a tallish defender will come into the side, be that Melican, Aliir or Talia. (Maibaum is very unlikely.) It comes down to whether this is the only change, to replace Jones within the 22, or whether there is some positional rebalancing of the side as well

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's a near certainty that a tallish defender will come into the side, be that Melican, Aliir or Talia. (Maibaum is very unlikely.) It comes down to whether this is the only change, to replace Jones within the 22, or whether there is some positional rebalancing of the side as well
    Surely if we're talking about Talia, Aliir and even Maibaum, Laidler deserves a mention too?! It's true he has become so easy to overlook. Yesterday's man even though he is dependable and has been in great form in the Reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it'll be Melican for Jones and that's that - although one could argue a couple of the fringe guys may be under pressure a bit, if they choose to rebalance the side a bit.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Surely if we're talking about Talia, Aliir and even Maibaum, Laidler deserves a mention too?! It's true he has become so easy to overlook. Yesterday's man even though he is dependable and has been in great form in the Reserves.
    I don't think there is a spot for Laids in this game. Their forward line is pretty quick, all except Hooker. We need to go with the faster backs to counter that or we will get cut up. We still need the strong hard defensive backs though but players like Smooch, Mills & Rampe are nowhere near as slow as Laids. Newman (I think the best tackler and almost best kick in the AFL ATM), Lloydy, Ramps and ? will provide the run out of the backs too. I am tempted to think we could play Aliir on someone like McDonald Tipungwuti as he is fast enough and could out-mark him and therefore negating him. it will be an interesting day at the selection table today. I do hope Dawson comes in though as I think he could give us even more through the mids. He could be the natural replacement for Joey while he rests in the forward line and then while Dawson rests he could be incredibly dangerous. this would take a lot of the pressure off Joey.

Blog Entries
    Got your early leave pass from your boss yet??

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%2...ave%20Pass.pdf

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hooker dislocates finger, out for the game. Looks like McKernan in for him.

AFL Teams Round 14: Full squads for every game, ins and outs, suspensions and team news | Fox Sports