Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 14 V Essendon

Please no McVeigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Chatting to a Tiger supporter today who was there at the game. He said that he was really impressed with Sinclair's ruck work and his natural leap meant that he got first hand to the ball nearly every time. Food for thought.
    I heard Steve The Ruck Whisperer Taubert took Sink on as a personal challenge to turn him one a ruckman.

"How to turn Sink into a ruckman? Natural leap .... hmmm". Drill after drill during the pre-season he was frustrated by the conundrum. Then one day the Ruck Whisperer worked his magic, "Joey, Hanners, Lukey, just stand at Sink's feet ... look up ... & be ready! Sink, when the ump bounces it, jump as high as you can, & try & mark it."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I like Bartel's suggested distinction between 'football acts' and 'non-football acts'. I think it would help dispel some of the confusion about the MRP's gradings.
    I didn't really understand Bartel's point, and I still don't. Is that not what the intentional / non-intentional (aka careless) distinction already takes care off? It's not exactly a one-to-one mapping because "football acts" can be deemed to be intentional (as Toby Greene's was earlier in the season) but the vast majority of "non-football acts" will be graded as intentional, and the vast majority of "football acts" will be graded as careless.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    OK then. An expensive way to learn the lesson. That seems to be the way with Zak, but so far he has learned them.
    Problem is we lose a pacy aggressive line breaker for a game where we desperately need those traits, the team suffers.

If McVeigh comes in without going via the NEAFL I will spew. Can't afford top carry an underdone plodder regardless of leadership and past brownie points.

Out Jones :-( & Towers, In Melican & DAWSON

Regular in the Side
    Agree Melican has to come in and Dawson is breaking the door down. We really need three tall defenders against Essendon and I have my doubts about either Rampe or Marsh on Stewart. Nobody has mentioned Laidler who has been in great form in the NEAFL the last two weeks. No way McVeigh as the injectors are too fast. Outs would be Jones, Marsh and one of Rohan/Towers unless we have other injuries. Tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I heard Steve The Ruck Whisperer Taubert took Sink on as a personal challenge to turn him one a ruckman.

"How to turn Sink into a ruckman? Natural leap .... hmmm". Drill after drill during the pre-season he was frustrated by the conundrum. Then one day the Ruck Whisperer worked his magic, "Joey, Hanners, Lukey, just stand at Sink's feet ... look up ... & be ready! Sink, when the ump bounces it, jump as high as you can, & try & mark it."
    Nice

Jones out, Dawson in.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I didn't really understand Bartel's point, and I still don't. Is that not what the intentional / non-intentional (aka careless) distinction already takes care off? It's not exactly a one-to-one mapping because "football acts" can be deemed to be intentional (as Toby Greene's was earlier in the season) but the vast majority of "non-football acts" will be graded as intentional, and the vast majority of "football acts" will be graded as careless.
    That's why I like the distinction between football/non-football acts as there is a lot of confusion about the 'deliberate' nomenclature. Most particularly in regard to high bumps. A bump (a football act) which hits high will be graded careless - but how many times do you read people saying he deliberately bumped the player and should be suspended? This raged a couple of years ago with a Buddy high bump on a Gold Coast player.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Agree Melican has to come in and Dawson is breaking the door down. We really need three tall defenders against Essendon and I have my doubts about either Rampe or Marsh on Stewart. Nobody has mentioned Laidler who has been in great form in the NEAFL the last two weeks. No way McVeigh as the injectors are too fast. Outs would be Jones, Marsh and one of Rohan/Towers unless we have other injuries. Tough call.
    Rohan out? Get real! His last quarter won us the game against the Tigers!

Senior Player
    Had a look at the footage of the Jones incident. Seriously, you could count the number of pixels describing the incident on your hands and feet. You can't even definitively tell whether there was contact, let alone what the strength of the contact was. Going by the Rance dive one would have to suspect that there may have ben no meaningful contact at all . You can also see that Jones, who did not initiate contact, hardly broke stride calmly walking back to the 3q time huddle. Call me paranoid but I just suspect we are being shafted.There is definitely much more to the Selwood incident which drew blood and was definitely not an accident.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Jones has had a couple of fines already this year hasn't he - so pushed his luck too far this time in taking a cheap shot - maybe Kirk needs to have a chat to him smarten him up

While we will definitely miss jones' controlled "aggression" around the ground, McVeigh would seem the most obvious replacement. Unless McVeigh is unfit. I know McVeigh has lost a yard or six but he does provide stability up back and why not release Mills into the role Jones has had in the midfield.
    Someone must try and shut down Merrett as he provides the link between defence and attack that make Essendon so threatening with the footy and Mills has the discipline and skills to do this.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast