Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tom Papley

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Not completely different. The same stocky build, the same balance, the same intense competitiveness.
    Capture.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    Last edited by Danzar; 20th June 2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: At posters request - pics didn't show up

Blog Entries
    He's good, but he's no Nick Davis

Miller would not allow him to play cricket in the off-season. A couple of years later, a certain Peter Bedford did just that, at Sheffield Shield level, and still managed to win a Brownlow. Alan Miller also managed to piss off Austin Robertson so badly that he returned to WA after just one stellar season. I believe Alan was a really nice guy, but he was a disaster as senior coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Not completely different. The same stocky build, the same balance, the same intense competitiveness.
    I didn't know the man, but on a purely results basis a disaster of a coach.

Alan is no longer with us, but did feature in a McDonalds commercial many years ago.

McDonalds Australia 1997 TV ad - soft serve 30c cones - YouTube

But back on topic, if young Tom ends up half as good as both his grandfathers we have genuinely got ourselves an absolute bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Well well well....It's been a while.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Well well well....It's been a while.
    True. Davo's last game was in 2008

Regular in the Side
    "He's good, but he's no Nick Davis" ... a bizarre comparison with a very different player ... Tom has probably already played more good / consistent games than Nick did in any 20/25 game span. One game rightly made Nick a hero forever but assuming fitness holds I see Tom as a greater contributor over the journey. Also I stand by "completely" different in comparing Tom and Max. Would be interested in the relative body size but Tom certainly seems shorter / stockier than I remember Max. Then again, memory can be a tricky thing over 50 years!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    "He's good, but he's no Nick Davis" ... a bizarre comparison with a very different player ... Tom has probably already played more good / consistent games than Nick did in any 20/25 game span. One game rightly made Nick a hero forever but assuming fitness holds I see Tom as a greater contributor over the journey. Also I stand by "completely" different in comparing Tom and Max. Would be interested in the relative body size but Tom certainly seems shorter / stockier than I remember Max. Then again, memory can be a tricky thing over 50 years!
    I suspect that different approaches to gym work might account for some physical differences.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "He's good, but he's no Nick Davis" ... a bizarre comparison with a very different player ... Tom has probably already played more good / consistent games than Nick did in any 20/25 game span. One game rightly made Nick a hero forever but assuming fitness holds I see Tom as a greater contributor over the journey.
    MONSTER!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Let's see what kind of a runner he turns out to be. Or even if he becomes a runner!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    He left to captain/coach Williamstown in VFA for more money I believe.You could leave without a clearance at the time. Not sure about clash with coach who was Alan Miller, former coach of the Under 19s. You may know more, I was only young at the time but my dad was a mate of Miller.
    He left because he was an excellent cricketer and the club and the coach wouldn't let him do both, so he chose cricket and ended up at Williamstown because they let him play cricket......not sure about the money but under those circumstances, it was a nice bonus. Who'd blame him?

Senior Player
    Miller would not allow him to play cricket in the off-season. A couple of years later, a certain Peter Bedford did just that, at Sheffield Shield level, and still managed to win a Brownlow. Alan Miller also managed to piss off Austin Robertson so badly that he returned to WA after just one stellar season. I believe Alan was a really nice guy, but he was a disaster as senior coach.
    Pretty sure Miller was coach only in 1967 and 68. Austin Robertson played in 1966 when I think Skilts was captain coach. Not sure why Robertson went back - maybe for business interests. He eventually became a player in World Series Cricket and I think was Dennis Lillee's manager.

Used to wear No 11 on my South jumper because of Max. Peter Bedford inherited it so I was happy to leave it there.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant a 'business' player in WSC not an actual cricket player.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 20th June 2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fix quote tags

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Nick Davis came to save us, and he did.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast