Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tom Papley

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    "He's good, but he's no Nick Davis" ... a bizarre comparison with a very different player ... Tom has probably already played more good / consistent games than Nick did in any 20/25 game span. One game rightly made Nick a hero forever but assuming fitness holds I see Tom as a greater contributor over the journey. Also I stand by "completely" different in comparing Tom and Max. Would be interested in the relative body size but Tom certainly seems shorter / stockier than I remember Max. Then again, memory can be a tricky thing over 50 years!
    Yeah, I agree re Davis. Papley works harder, applies greater defensive pressure, quicker. Davis a better set shot. Similar abilities to grab a lose ball and snap a goal. Early days, but Papley averages more possessions and tackles; same goal output (1.4 per game).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I don't mind him being a bit goal hungry. I want my small forward to be that way. If he gets too greedy the coaching staff and his teammates will let him know.
    Agreed. I was more worried about what he did vs Carlton , 35 out on a decent angle , but laid it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Pretty sure Miller was coach only in 1967 and 68. Austin Robertson played in 1966 when I think Skilts was captain coach. Not sure why Robertson went back - maybe for business interests. He eventually became a player in World Series Cricket and I think was Dennis Lillee's manager.

Used to wear No 11 on my South jumper because of Max. Peter Bedford inherited it so I was happy to leave it there.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant a 'business' player in WSC not an actual cricket player.
    Austin Robertson went back after kicking a very creditable 60 goals in 1966. Miller told him when he took over the coaching role from Skilton that he did not want a leading full-forward. He wanted a stay-at-home full-forward. Robertson well knew that fast leads and long, accurate drop-punts (in an era when very few players used this kick) were his signature strengths.

Miller wanted to turn him into something he was not, and would never be. He returned to a great career in the WAFL, and South lost a potential star goalkicker.

Sad to say it, but Miller squandered Skilton's great work of the previous 2 years.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 20th June 2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fix quote tags

Veterans List
    IIRC Miller was an Alan Killegrew hot gospeller type. My way or the highway. From memory was a good Under 19's coach where the his style was better suited, but didn't cut it with the men. Pretty sure he was my brother's Under 19's coach. Was a shocking choice right from the go.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    IIRC Miller was an Alan Killegrew hot gospeller type. My way or the highway. From memory was a good Under 19's coach where the his style was better suited, but didn't cut it with the men. Pretty sure he was my brother's Under 19's coach. Was a shocking choice right from the go.
    I think he won a premiership in the Under 19s. Like you Nico, my brother was coached by him and my dad was friendly with him. The under 19 premiership probably got him the job but he wasn't a success. Norm Smith got us to finals a couple of year's later in 1970. Lot of 'hotgospelling' around in those days.

Our midfield 3 to 5 years from now, Heeney, Mills, Parker, Jones, Papley, Hayward. Why do I feel so secure????
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Our midfield 3 to 5 years from now, Heeney, Mills, Parker, Jones, Papley, Hayward. Why do I feel so secure????
    Tippo gone by then.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Tippo gone by then.
    Don't be complacent! If they've extended him once again until 2020, who knows what they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Don't be complacent! If they've extended him once again until 2020, who knows what they will do.
    I thought it waS a 2 year extension, which would be end of 2018??????????????????????????
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I think he won a premiership in the Under 19s. Like you Nico, my brother was coached by him and my dad was friendly with him. The under 19 premiership probably got him the job but he wasn't a success. Norm Smith got us to finals a couple of year's later in 1970. Lot of 'hotgospelling' around in those days.
    No, he never won an U/19s premiership. Best result was fourth in 1966, the year before he was appointed senior coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    No, he never won an U/19s premiership. Best result was fourth in 1966, the year before he was appointed senior coach.
    In Miller's seven years as coach, from 1955 to 1961, South Melbourne finished in the top five every season and won a premiership in 1956. This was also Souths only U/19 Premiership.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Not completely different. The same stocky build, the same balance, the same intense competitiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Reposting this for aardvark as the pics didn't show up. This is in reply to this post from bloods
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast