Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 13: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ SCG

Veteran Site Admin
    Is that list of goal kickers correct? I thought I saw Laidler kick one and Dawson three.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Paddington end
    Wonder whether it will carry over to the game v Bombers

Veteran Site Admin
    No wind to speak of.

Ok so just coincidence. Out of Sydney for the weekend with a Bombers supporter and reliant on RWO for information.

Pretty nervous about tonight's game

Veteran Site Admin
    I suspect it was fitness. Uni put up a decent fight but couldn't keep going for as long as the Swans.

It was very enjoyable to see the ressies run around last night. Sydney Uni offered up some decent opposition and at one stage they had a forward line that all had AFL experience. I thought that Jack Hiscox looked quite good for them. Xav was Ordinary, what a goose he was to think he was better than what we offered him and from last night there is absolutely no way another AFL club would look at him.

Re our guys, the standout was Dawson. He may have had an ineffective disposal but I didn't see it, that tracer like peach of a left foot will be a weapon in the seniors. I was impressed with his ability to present as a forward marking target, somewhat Parker-like and more importantly his inside work was excellent - in the past I have thought maybe he didn't win his own footy and was an outside player but he definitely has an inside game. Not sure if there'll be room for him with Jones and McVeigh to come back next week but this kid is ready to rumble as far as senior footy goes.

Of the others

* Ronke was busy though his foot skills look a bit suspect
    * Maze, a MP favourite, did not let us down in the ruck and he has a nice kick on him. For a young ruckman he has something there, definitely worth looking at rookie listing as a project player in the Naismith mould
    * Talia took some decent marks but no way could you consider him instead of Melican, he'd be on decent coin so has delist written all over him
    * Maubain played forward a bit again, not sure if that is to give him more of the footy or of necessity but he looked OK, next year is a big one for him as it is interesting that he is the only 2016 draftee not to get an extension
    * Tyrone, Robbo, Foote and Fox all played OK without looking any more than good reserve grade standard.
    * Pink tried hard but reckon he could be a de-list

I didn't see enough of the game to comment - I will try watching the stream. I'm interested to hear how others went too: Murray, Fisher, McVeigh?

I do take issue with 2 of your comments, MP:

1. McVeigh won't play seniors next week. We can't even be certain he'll ever play again until his body proves itself.

2. Pink is not a de-list this year. He is raw but has shown enough to be worth extending another season. I love his effort but I think he also has a good footy brain. Often makes good choices. He's also reasonably quick and agile for a big(gish) bloke. Plus, we have very little depth in the KPF position. In fact he is the only KPF outside our best 22 (depending on how you count Tippett). Maybe this is why they are playing *Maibaum* forward. (Maybe this also explains why they were willing to extend Tippett.) What don't you like about Toby?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    McVeigh played midfield the first half and then mostly forward second half. He looked pretty good to me hit his targets, tackled well and then up forward kicked two nice goals. He played most of the game, I think only in the last 10-15 minutes did he finally come off. Definitely one of our better players for me.

Murray was again impressive in defence with his pace a real weapon for us and just as important his kicking is as dangerous as his disposal. He doesn't mind a good leap for a spoil either.

I thought those two along with Dawson Edwards were the clear standouts for me. Laidler was solid as usual, Jack tackled ferociously at times but as usual some of his kicking was awful. Dawson spent quite a bit of time as a full forward in the second half and he clunked a few marks in that position.

Foote played defence first half which doesn't really suit him to be honest as his best skills are his hard ball gets and running power. Moved into the midfield later on he looked more comfortable in that position. Ronke finished with three goals according to the stats but I'm sure he only had two with wicks kicking the other (and a nice goal it was too). Ronke also was the recipient of a classic McVeigh death stare after having a shot at goal instead of passing it to Jarrad

Agree that Hiscox was very good for them, they set up well to use his superior running power and he played with a confidence that was missing at times last year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Agree with Ugg on Murray. If we're looking for a half-back flanker prepared to take the game on, he shapes as a possible solution. His improvement over the last season and a half has been outstanding. It's a real credit to the coaching staff (and to him) that he's been transformed from a selfish "look at me" type player who had little idea of team rules and structures to the player he is right now. He still enjoys a few "look at me" moments, but they generally lead to something constructive. He had one wonderful zigzagging, bouncing run out of defence yesterday, and at the end of it, his long kick had landed on the chest of a team mate.

I think I commented a couple of weeks ago that he's ahead of where Biggs was at a similar point in their AFL careers. Biggs has become a solid AFL player and I see no reason why Murray can't continue along a similar path.

Agree with above comments.

I saw the second half and was very impressed with Dawson, Murray and also Edwards - he has lots of pace, good mark and a huge kick.

Hopefully we can try and get some game time in the seniors for some of them soon.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks for the eye witness reports. Good to hear re Dawson, Murray and Edwards in particular. How is Dawson in regard to speed? I'm just trying to work out why Florent and for that matter Hayward are picked ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I didn't see enough of the game to comment - I will try watching the stream. I'm interested to hear how others went too: Murray, Fisher, McVeigh?

I do take issue with 2 of your comments, MP:

1. McVeigh won't play seniors next week. We can't even be certain he'll ever play again until his body proves itself.

2. Pink is not a de-list this year. He is raw but has shown enough to be worth extending another season. I love his effort but I think he also has a good footy brain. Often makes good choices. He's also reasonably quick and agile for a big(gish) bloke. Plus, we have very little depth in the KPF position. In fact he is the only KPF outside our best 22 (depending on how you count Tippett). Maybe this is why they are playing *Maibaum* forward. (Maybe this also explains why they were willing to extend Tippett.) What don't you like about Toby?
    If you didn't see enough of the game when I saw the entire game why are you so precious re my opinions. My sincere apologies for misspelling Maibaum's name (sigh)

It's called an opinion.

Love how you make a statement re McVeigh as if it is a fact when you have no idea at all of how he played given you didn't see the game, assuming you're not on the match committee you have no idea of if he'll be selected or not. I think you'll find he did enough to warrant selection next week but we'll see. And I was there

And don't take it so personally about Pink. My impression from yesterday, and I'm happy to admit that is a sample of one game and that you may have watched him on many occasions (though I doubt you have) is that he didn't offer a lot. Not sure how you are so aware of his footy brain but my observation was that he seemed somewhat limited, didn't take a lot of marks (in fact I'd say he looked clumsy) and wasn't really a physical presence either. Just didn't think he offers us up much
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 24th June 2017 at 12:29 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast