Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 13: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ SCG

On the Rookie List
    Ugg, outside the votes did any of last years Swans crop (X, Hiscox, Barron Hay, Reinhard, Wilson, Hebron) do much on Friday arvo?? I have to say that Hebron has impressed with his football smarts and his ability to lock down an opponent in other NEAFL games I have seen this year.
    It is always much easier to bring back a local rookie than move an interstater come draft time.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hiscox was the most impressive of the lot, I think Uni set up plays specifically for him and just tell him to sprint down the ground when they have the ball. There's been a few highlights on the NEAFL website already of him doing this.

Hebron played on Rose from memory and it was a good battle but I would give the points to Rose by a slight margin, Cooper played fullback on our deepest forward which most of the time meant Pink but also sometimes ended up with McVeigh. X had no impact, didn't remember much about DBH or Reinhard and Wilson was an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Hiscox was the most impressive of the lot, I think Uni set up plays specifically for him and just tell him to sprint down the ground when they have the ball. There's been a few highlights on the NEAFL website already of him doing this.

Hebron played on Rose from memory and it was a good battle but I would give the points to Rose by a slight margin, Cooper played fullback on our deepest forward which most of the time meant Pink but also sometimes ended up with McVeigh. X had no impact, didn't remember much about DBH or Reinhard and Wilson was an emergency.
    To add, Wilson played in the prems. Reinhard and DBH were pretty quiet. Reinhard often had the ruck duties against Maze and was generally beaten due to the size and bulk difference. DBH stood Wicks for a lot of the time which was a mismatch. Wicks gut runs huge distances in games and by about half time this was causing DBH a few issues. Wicks ended up with 22 disposals as a forward pocket on DBH.

Forgot about McFadden he was handy in their midfield.

Note: They gave Wicks's goal to Ronke. Even their match report says Wicks kicked a goal.

Why were our defenders so quiet? I know we won by a fair margin but it wasn't 171 points or anything. They still had around 19 shots on goal. Pleased to see Ronke had a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Why were our defenders so quiet? I know we won by a fair margin but it wasn't 171 points or anything. They still had around 19 shots on goal. Pleased to see Ronke had a good game.
    For three quarters it was a pretty tough contested game. At three quarter time Uni were not far behind and had the momentum. It was only in the last quarter when the swans piled on 6 goals to 2 that the game opened up.

Overall disposal numbers were down reflecting a tougher contest. The swans top disposal winner was Dawson with only 23.

I think Uni would have been disappointed not to have pushed for the whole 4 quarters. On the other hand they know that come finals time the swans and Brisbane can only play 16 listed players. If I was Uni I would take heart from this.

The swans are no doubt starting to think about which 6 top ups they need to take into the finals. Clearly Gowers, Wicks and Maze are good enough. Jake Brown and Robertson have season ending injuries. Bell and Hardman presumably are good enough although they haven't set the world on fire in the Allies. For the remaining toppies, Bailey Stewart looked promising on the weekend on debut. Maybe Harry Carr. Scrivinic had quite a few neafl games but did not do much.

As always the bottom 6 often determines the success of the team. Uni will know this.

NEAFL MVP VOTES � Round 13
    Sydney University v Sydney
    9: Jordan Dawson (Sydney)
    7: Tom Young (Sydney Uni)
    5: Sam Murray (Sydney)
    4: Shaun Edwards (Sydney)
    4: Ben Ronke (Sydney)
    1: Matt Rawlinson (Sydney Uni)

Possible Breakdowns

Dawson 5-4
    Young 4-3
    Murray 5-0
    Edwards/Ronke One 2-2 the other 3-1
    Rawlinson 1-0

OR

Dawson 5-4
    Young 5-2
    Murray 3-2
    Edwards/Ronke One 4-0 the other 3-1
    Rawlinson 1-0

NEAFL MVP LEADERBOARD
    47: Jordan Keras (Southport)
    47: Jordan Dawson (Sydney)
    46: Cameron Ilett (NT Thunder)
    37: Matthew Payne (Aspley)
    37: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney Uni)
    34: Jordan Harper (Canberra)
    31: Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)
    39: Mitch Hallahan (Gold Coast)
    28: Darcy Macpherson (Gold Coast)
    27: Brandon Jack (Sydney)

NEAFL GOALKICKING LEADERBOARD
    40: Darren Ewing (NT Thunder)
    27: Jono Freeman (Brisbane)
    26: Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)
    26: Ben Warren (Aspley)
    26: Jackson Paine (Redland)
    22: Matt Hammelmann (Brisbane)
    21: Aaron Christensen (Redland)
    21: Zach Sproule (Giants)
    21: Jordan Dawson (Sydney)
    20: Damien Bonney (Sydney Uni)

Veterans List
    The usual dodgy best players in the match report on the Swans website, why do they do this when the write up says Dawson was BOG and the votes show he was rated at least best & second best by the coaches but he gets named as 5th best?

BEST � Sydney: B Ronke, J Foote, S Murray, B Jack, J Dawson, S Wicks

It's why we appreciate the REAL match report and bests from ressie watchers.

Good point 707!

Incidentally, FYI, I think an RWOer explained that the umpires have something to do with MVP votes as well as the coaches.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast