Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Mike - Tuesday 27 June

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I saw a bit of it. Oliver Florent and his mother handled themselves well.

But I thought it was inappropriate to do a interview program so wholly focused on his father's death. Do it in a few years time and let it be one of a number of topics to touch on. And it would be less raw.

I saw no benefit in getting a young man on public television to talk about that at length. I see it as such a private family matter.
    It's a regular theme of Open Mike. Mike seems to be more focussed on getting tears from the guest and as I've stated previously gets so focused on how much someone was paid. Oli n his mum handled themselves quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Just like Isaac is now willing himself in the midfield in the middle taking over from Mitchell and Jacks role we will see Ollie bit by bit take over Dan Hanneberys role in time

Probably another year or so from now as Dan had an awesome game on the weekend but I do feel Ollie at a young age is miles ahead in decision making
    Agreed!

I had to keep reminding myself that he's only 19. What a mature young man he is. Well done to both him and his Mum.

I'd have liked to have heard a bit more about his life at the Swans and learning the ropes of senior footy but it was always going to focus on the "human interest" side.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I turned it off half way through, got sick of Sheean going over the dying part of the story over and over. I wanted to hear about his football journey and how that has helped him with his personal tragedy

Too soon IMO. This sort of interview should be happening in 5 years and hes an established player (or not).

Goes up to 11
    I loved it and I think the fact that he's a youngster still in the first steps of his AFL journey was what made it really compelling for me. And a welcome change from the chats with the stars of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    I turned it off half way through, got sick of Sheean going over the dying part of the story over and over. I wanted to hear about his football journey and how that has helped him with his personal tragedy
    +1 He is a fine brave, young man and I think will be a great Swans player in a few years. But the questions were poor.

Veterans List
    I agree and the conversation did become a bit repetitive. I would have liked to hear about when Longmire came down to speak to the family.

It was interesting hearing how he was admitted to hospital with dehydration during his first week of training. Shows how much he was pushing himself.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I agree and the conversation did become a bit repetitive. I would have liked to hear about when Longmire came down to speak to the family.

It was interesting hearing how he was admitted to hospital with dehydration during his first week of training. Shows how much he was pushing himself.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Not one of Mike's best efforts. I would also have liked to hear about Longmire's visit, how they felt about Sydney at the time and how he feels now.

Brave story and very touching. His younger brother Jai is also a promising footballer too playing first team school as a year 10 student, will be interesting to see if you also joins the Sandringham TAC program.

On a pure football level I think Olly will be very very good. Not sure if it is my imagination but watching him out there last week I am sure he has bulked up quite a bit the last couple of months, a extra pre-season or two and he'll be flying. Really glad we got him tied down for an extra couple of years, he just needs to meet a nice Sydney girl now and settle down here.

Pat Rafter is really looking after him up here, more of a family connection than a Swans one.

Also nice to hear Dennis Carroll get a mention too. Sounds like the Swans are cognisant about looking after the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    I agree. It was almost cringe worthy the way Mike tried to squeeze every tear out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12