Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 15 V Melbourne. MCG 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What about last touch is a free handball to the opposition?. Much like in soccer. A free kick is too big a penalty.
    Interesting idea. Turns it into a bit of a game of netball/keepings off.

I'd be happy with a free kick for last touch and with a ball-up 15m out for any rushed behind.

Senior Player
    I think if that is what other teams think then they just haven't watched him stand under a ball waiting
    to get crunched as many times as he has. I also suspect that Mills is not a saint out there on the field
    when it comes to the verbal side of things. He is a tough character and he'll be fine. He won the Rising
    Star, they don't just hand it out without a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I wonder if teams target Mills because they think it works i.e. He can be physically intimidated. Once one team "succeeds" every team copies.

Look what happened after we targeted JJ.
    Last edited by KTigers; 3rd July 2017 at 06:39 PM.

Mills is tough , for sure. I was quite surprised he was eliminated from the game on the basis of a concussion test behind closed doors and he looked seriously cheesed off about it (failing) on the bench .
    Actually I remain mystified by it all. If he's named for Saturdays game , even more so .

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Mills is tough , for sure. I was quite surprised he was eliminated from the game on the basis of a concussion test behind closed doors and he looked seriously cheesed off about it (failing) on the bench .
    Actually I remain mystified by it all. If he's named for Saturdays game , even more so .
    Not sure that failing a concussion test after being whacked in the face says anything about how tough he is. It just says he was showing signs of concussion. The onus is on doctors not to allow players back on if there are any signs of even a mild concussion.

Nor do I think that changes if he is deemed fit to play this weekend. Some players are fine a week after being concussed, others not. It probably depends, to some extent, on the degree of concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    As per the law I've posted earlier there is no 'deliberate' in the current wording of the law.
    Meg you make a very valid point. We should not call it "deliberate" (or scream that at the umpires). We should call it "insufficient intent to keep the ball in play" as that's what the rule is.

Although the rule stills requires umpires to mind read.

Senior Player
    Mills always strikes me as an extremely competitive and driven guy, and was likely furious (he certainly
    looked it) that he wasn't playing, after failing the concussion test. The club essentially anointed Mills a long
    time ago as someone likely to have a long and successful career, and they wouldn't have done that
    if they had one iota of doubt about him. In the end Bugg was probably even more rattled than Mills,
    his measly six possessions basically made it a 21 vs 21 player game for the most part.

On Bugg the Thug rather than send him to the tribunal I reckon he has to spend 2 minutes alone in hand to hand combat with Zak Jones.

That should teach him a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Interesting idea. Turns it into a bit of a game of netball/keepings off.

I'd be happy with a free kick for last touch and with a ball-up 15m out for any rushed behind.
    A handball in sounds odd, but when you think about it, a throw in for soccer is even more absurd. It's the only time you can use your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Mills always strikes me as an extremely competitive and driven guy, and was likely furious (he certainly
    looked it) that he wasn't playing, after failing the concussion test. The club essentially anointed Mills a long
    time ago as someone likely to have a long and successful career, and they wouldn't have done that
    if they had one iota of doubt about him. In the end Bugg was probably even more rattled than Mills,
    his measly six possessions basically made it a 21 vs 21 player game for the most part.
    I don't know that Mills looked furious. He looked pretty dazed to me.

Bugg's poor game was interesting, as was his decision to not change is jumper. While it's hard to know what was going on in his head, it was certainly consistent with him being very concerned about what was going to happen to him as a result.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Papley's bump caused a turnover which was disgusting decision again by a Victorian based umpire. Which is worse? punching a guy into a state of concussion or giving a guy a gentle bump, which he easily falls backwards. Obviously the bump was worse!!
    If you listened, when the umpire was telling the players of the report, he kept on saying don't do anything to reverse the kick, as he was informing Bugg of the report.

I think most players understood the situation. The Papley comes in and knocks him over, not very bright IMO.

That's local / country football tactics which usually result in more punches and more reports. Papley could have have chested him and given him a spray.
    sprite

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    I think the AFL should have a rule, that if a player is forced out of game through concussion due to a reportable incident, then one of the emergencies could be brought into the game as a replacement.
    sprite

Can anyone enlighten us as to the sort of "test" is involved for concussion?

I remember the alcohol test of walking a straight line and fingers to the nose; then there is "what day is it today, and who is Prime Minister", but surely it is more scientific than just questions.