Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 15 V Melbourne. MCG 19.50 pm.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I understand where people are coming from, but acts like Bugg's are very very uncommon in the game
    This is an important point. I'm not keen on knee-jerk reactions to rare events. There was some headline recently along the lines of "is footy out of control". Based on what, two unfortunate incidents out of hundreds of games played nationwide in a year. There's a really long suspension maybe once every year or two, because most players know the consequences.

It would be easy to slip into a rant about how we live in a world shaped by disproportionate media reaction to rare events so I won't

Bump up the suspension to something that is a real deterrent, in Buggs case 12 months, and leave the rules alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    I think a classy decision by a coaching group could make things fair.
    Classy? Seriously? Every club is looking for a legit edge to win every game. Having a player belt another player to take them out is not legit. As the rules currently stand, having the player who belted another player keep playing is legit. No club would disadvantage itself willingly.

The Swans coaching staff, in the interest of fairness, decided to withdraw the perpetrating Swans player from the game so that the opposition were not disadvantaged on the bench.
    The whole premis of football from a club's perspective is unfairness. Every club wants better players, better facilities, better coaches, more members (=more $), bigger sponsors. No individual club wants it even. The AFL sort of does (hence salary caps, wealth taxes, trade bans). And I doubt the fans of clubs want it even either. Perhaps fair and even for 17 [i}other[/i] clubs, but we want our to be above the rest.

Imagine if a Swans player had committed the act that Bugg committed on Mills.
    You don't need to imagine it. Think back to Hall on Staker. Hall wasn't removed from the ground by staff for the rest of the game.

Barry was regularly pulled from the ground - but more to save him from himself than to even things up.

Would Red and White support that style of decision?
    They might if we won the game, but look at how we react when we lose usually. Pull a player for a striking charge and if we lost the game the calls for the coaching staff to be sacked would probably rival the length of the Tippett thread.

I think the coaches should make a pact that If a Bugg or Houli incident occurs and leaves the opposition disadvantaged, they will voluntarily remove the offending player to even up the numbers.
    Tell him he's dreaming

There is an irony to the fact that Bugg's actions clearly affected him and, mentally, he virtually took no further part in the game.

I remember a game where Buddy and I think Tippo were both reported and their minds were clearly elsewhere after that.

I don't remember Bazza's performance after he knocked out Staker, but I would say voluntarily removing the offending player, like Bugg, wouldn't actually make such a huge difference.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

I don't remember Bazza's performance after he knocked out Staker, but I would say voluntarily removing the offending player, like Bugg, wouldn't actually make such a huge difference.
    He broke his wrist not too long after. Can't remember the approximate timings of the punch and the wrist break but I don't think the gap was more than around a quarter or so.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He broke his wrist not too long after. Can't remember the approximate timings of the punch and the wrist break but I don't think the gap was more than around a quarter or so.
    It was when he ran into the fence wasn't it later in the match?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    It was when he ran into the fence wasn't it later in the match?
    Yes.
    That's why his suspension didn't hurt so much... he had a broken wrist to sit out anyway.
    He's still a dick.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334