Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Round 14: Canberra Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Manuka Oval

Good game from the two toppies Wicks and Stewart. Wicks with 20 touches and Stewart with 2 goals. I think Jake Brown might be back next week after a longish term injury.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Good game from the two toppies Wicks and Stewart. Wicks with 20 touches and Stewart with 2 goals. I think Jake Brown might be back next week after a longish term injury.
    Would you say Wicks has adapted to life well in the NEAFL Barra? Sounds like he was unlucky to not be selected in the Allies.

Sorry if this is OT but do you think he is a chance of being rookie listed by us? How does the NDS work in terms of the academy kids? Can we pass on a kid like Wicks un the Rookie Draft knowing we can always match an offer? So in a way the NDS acts a bit of a carpark for potential rookies but I guess there is always the risk clubs will rookie list him after we have filled all our spots.

Then if he goes into the NDS don't we still have matching rights for another year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Would you say Wicks has adapted to life well in the NEAFL Barra? Sounds like he was unlucky to not be selected in the Allies.

Sorry if this is OT but do you think he is a chance of being rookie listed by us? How does the NDS work in terms of the academy kids? Can we pass on a kid like Wicks un the Rookie Draft knowing we can always match an offer? So in a way the NDS acts a bit of a carpark for potential rookies but I guess there is always the risk clubs will rookie list him after we have filled all our spots.

Then if he goes into the NDS don't we still have matching rights for another year or two?
    It looks like wicks has. He got in the best players in the game against uni, which was pretty close for 3 quarters. Then backed it up with another 20 disposals on the weekend.
    Given he missed the allies he is coming from a fair way back regarding draft. However his neafl performances over 7 or so games is pretty compelling, 10 goals, a neafl rising star, consistent disposals. His ball use is very clean and he is off the charts for agility. The goal he kicked in the uni game showed that agility when he breezed through three opposition players one of which was hiscox.
    He is pretty skinny and hasn't filled out at all. I suspect the swans will let him grow some more with the expectation he will bust the door down next year.
    The NDS is a car park for the swans, given they maintain academy rights for three years. The only problem is that in years where there are few injuries the NDS group can get no games. For some that has been the case this year.
    For Wicks not playing allies will mean he is not on the radar for the other clubs.
    I still think James bell will get drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    It looks like wicks has. He got in the best players in the game against uni, which was pretty close for 3 quarters. Then backed it up with another 20 disposals on the weekend.
    Given he missed the allies he is coming from a fair way back regarding draft. However his neafl performances over 7 or so games is pretty compelling, 10 goals, a neafl rising star, consistent disposals. His ball use is very clean and he is off the charts for agility. The goal he kicked in the uni game showed that agility when he breezed through three opposition players one of which was hiscox.
    He is pretty skinny and hasn't filled out at all. I suspect the swans will let him grow some more with the expectation he will bust the door down next year.
    The NDS is a car park for the swans, given they maintain academy rights for three years. The only problem is that in years where there are few injuries the NDS group can get no games. For some that has been the case this year.
    For Wicks not playing allies will mean he is not on the radar for the other clubs.
    I still think James bell will get drafted.
    Thanks Barra, I know we should be clinical with our recruiting but if Bell is a good kid I hope we draft him with our third rounder.

So with the Academy rights do they only apply of the kids stay with the Swans NDS? E.g if Hebron suddenly has an enormous year with Sydney Uni next year do the Swans still have academy rights? Because as you say I imagine most kids will only stay for one year tops at the Swans as an NDS kid if they are not getting regular footy

The swans maintains rights over the player at uni. Accordingly guys like Hebron are kept close to the swans in case they really develop. At some point one of them will really develop and the swans will take them. Watch Eddie go nuts when this happens.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney v Canberra

9: Callum Sinclair (Sydney)
    5: Colin O�Riordan (Sydney)
    4: James Rose (Sydney)
    4: Dan Robinson (Sydney)
    4: Jordan Foote (Sydney)
    3: Sam Martyn (Canberra)
    1: Aliir Aliir (Sydney)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678