Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 24

Thread: Swans new style of footy

  1. #1

    Swans new style of footy

    What does everyone think of the Swans new approach to Bloods Footy ?

    The last four games are a turning point in our balance of uncontested / contested and our flexibility to move in and out of both styles when required

    Our stats are truly amazing and reflective of our balanced approach

    In the Melb game where we only scored 85 points and against an opposition who are the highest disposal team in the Comp we had 100 more disposals at the end of the 4th qtr

    100 more !!! Unbelievable !!!

    Even more telling though was the use of uncontested by foot .......we beat Melb in this area with 80 more kicks yet only a small amount more in handballs which in the past handballs were our weapon from the contest

    I could not be happier that we have evolved finally

    secondly we now have the right blend of contested players and players who can truly kick under pressure

    to be able to play both styles of footy and execute with 4 wins in a row is proof for us supporters

    (despite going away from the flexible approach in the tigers game and almost loosing)

    Happy swan I am and confident in the changes that were absolutely critical to compete against such an even competition

  2. #2
    McVeigh for Brownlow RogueSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Posts
    4,038
    It is the same style as last year and early this year but we weren't able to execute it in the first half dozen games.
    It has also come on the back of our core inside crew finding good form and winning the contested ball. Everything else flows from that.
    The uncontested stat should be slightly ignored for the Dees game because they pretty much stopped running and failed to man up. Easy to clock up possessions in that situation (see Swans v Hawks)


    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 5th July 2017 at 10:47 AM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

  3. #3
    The 0-6 start I put down to mostly adjusting to a post-Mitchell midfield. He is such a unique player, that it took a while to adjust.

  4. #4
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    2,451
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The 0-6 start I put down to mostly adjusting to a post-Mitchell midfield. He is such a unique player, that it took a while to adjust.
    Injuries were a factor. It's difficult to play consistent football with so many players out injured and the need to rotate so many kids through the side.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  5. #5
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Terrigal (SCG - Bay 32)
    Posts
    2,550
    I put the 0-6 down to complacency.
    C'mon Chels!

  6. #6
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,410
    Ruthless wasn't named in the first six weeks.
    He's a really handy player when he's named.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  7. #7
    I think the Swans have become much better in retaining the ball as it moves out of defence, playing a more uncontested style. About time as it was a problem before 2017.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    It is the same style as last year and early this year but we weren't able to execute it in the first half dozen games.
    It has also come on the back of our core inside crew finding good form and winning the contested ball. Everything else flows from that.
    The uncontested stat should be slightly ignored for the Dees game because they pretty much stopped running and failed to man up. Easy to clock up possessions in that situation (see Swans v Hawks)


    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Exactly, it's all based on a ferocious attack on the footy and winning the contested possession. As Horse says, going harder for longer.

    There were many reasons for the poor start to the year. The main one was injuries whether we like it or not with many half a dozen of our best six out and others like Jack playing busted. I ask you if we would have beaten the Tigers or the Bombers if we had Foote instead of Heeney and Fox instead of Papley? The game is just played on such tight margins.

    I do think perhaps we were a bit underdone too (consistently going deep into September does that at the start of the season) and maybe a bit jaded by the gut-wrenching loss last year. In a crazy way we almost needed that start to jolt them into action.

    In terms of style I do think our delivery by foot seems a lot better in recent weeks but that is a matter of execution rather than game style. Possibly being a bit more indirect and measured out of defence but again I think that is down to confidence and personnel and better footskills.

    If there is a change in gameplan I reckon it's been a tweak rather than a major overhaul

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Exactly, it's all based on a ferocious attack on the footy and winning the contested possession. As Horse says, going harder for longer.

    There were many reasons for the poor start to the year. The main one was injuries whether we like it or not with many half a dozen of our best six out and others like Jack playing busted. I ask you if we would have beaten the Tigers or the Bombers if we had Foote instead of Heeney and Fox instead of Papley? The game is just played on such tight margins.

    I do think perhaps we were a bit underdone too (consistently going deep into September does that at the start of the season) and maybe a bit jaded by the gut-wrenching loss last year. In a crazy way we almost needed that start to jolt them into action.

    In terms of style I do think our delivery by foot seems a lot better in recent weeks but that is a matter of execution rather than game style. Possibly being a bit more indirect and measured out of defence but again I think that is down to confidence and personnel and better footskills.

    If there is a change in gameplan I reckon it's been a tweak rather than a major overhaul
    Spot on MP. It has also helped that Melican and Newman are good reliable kicks.

  10. #10
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Terrigal (SCG - Bay 32)
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Spot on MP. It has also helped that Melican and Newman are good reliable kicks.
    Too true, where I think Laidler and Marsh are long down the line players. We will not win games playing that style of footy.
    C'mon Chels!

  11. #11
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,757
    I can't see much of a change. More so were are moving the ball quicker and hitting targets.

  12. #12
    Wow

    So the statistics were announced today that in the last 4 or 5 weeks we have changed from corridor football to in the top 3 of uncontested boundary transitions

    Hmmmm

    Do these stats lie ?

    Distinct change !!!

    Distinct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO