Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16 Changes

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I must admit that I haven't seen enough of Aliir forward or on a wing to make comment on how he'd go there in our best 22
    Me too, but based on his style of play (playing on is his default, always try to hit up a target rather than bombing long) I like the idea of Aliir as a wing/high forward. Will be interesting to see whether he can find a spot in the senior side and where that position will be

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Aliir should come in for structural reasons alone. He would replace either Florent or Towers. The final spot in the side you can pick from Florent, Towers, Hayward, Dawson and Robinson. We have a lot of decent players to compete for those final spots in the side when our injury list is short.

I wouldn't mind seeing Robbo come in and try a tagging role, perhaps with help from Hewett, on Ablett. Robbo was given some tagging roles in the past in the NEAFL and was very effective. Dawson also deserves a shot given his solid season.

Injuries permitting, by the time August rolls around, Aliir will be in the side and Towers will not.
    We're 6 from our last 7 with Towers in the team and Aliir not. Is it possible that Aliir's not currently in our best 22? You've been pushing his barrow with ardent fervour all season but structurally we seem to be going ok at the moment. I hope that he'll be in our best 22 in future seasons, but he clearly isn't right now.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    We're 6 from our last 7 with Towers in the team and Aliir not. Is it possible that Aliir's not currently in our best 22? You've been pushing his barrow with ardent fervour all season but structurally we seem to be going ok at the moment. I hope that he'll be in our best 22 in future seasons, but he clearly isn't right now.
    The other way to look at it is we've fallen over the line a couple of times from the last 7, could we have won more easily with Aliir?

There's been a lot of talk about AA playing a role other than as a defender. Largely because Melican has gone past him in the pecking order.

Is there any evidence that AA would make a good ruckman / wing / swing man etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    The other way to look at it is we've fallen over the line a couple of times from the last 7, could we have won more easily with Aliir?
    On recent form and with the injury disrupted season he's had? No.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Me too, but based on his style of play (playing on is his default, always try to hit up a target rather than bombing long) I like the idea of Aliir as a wing/high forward. Will be interesting to see whether he can find a spot in the senior side and where that position will be
    AA played as a key forward on the weekend in the NEAFL, and while he did well, I wouldn't say it was outstanding against a very much undermanned and weakened Canberra team. Wasted a few shots at goal, dropped some marks he should have held, but worked hard and did ok overall. He didn't ruck at all, even with Sinclair as the lone ruckman (Pinky too the relieving role).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Just watched the injury update and there wasn't much in it apart from Hayward being given another week off.

Mills was mentioned but nothing given away. I think they will be conservative and give him a rest. After all, he still really is a kid too.

No mention of Jones or Smith.

Therefore, my early guess is:

Out: Mills
    In: Marsh

However, I can also see Aliir being given an opportunity and the game will then serve as internal competition between Aliir, Towers, and Florent for the GWS game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Just watched the injury update and there wasn't much in it apart from Hayward being given another week off.

Mills was mentioned but nothing given away. I think they will be conservative and give him a rest. After all, he still really is a kid too.

No mention of Jones or Smith.

Therefore, my early guess is:

Out: Mills
    In: Marsh

However, I can also see Aliir being given an opportunity and the game will then serve as internal competition between Aliir, Towers, and Florent for the GWS game.
    Harley never gives much away. Not entirely convinced that Smith will be right. Had a horrible limp up after the game. Hope I'm wrong.

Veterans List
    Out: Mills, In Marsh or Robinson

Good to see them err on the side of caution with Tippett and Hayward not having them considered for seniors or NEAFL, probably will with Mills as well.

Towers played well enough on Friday to hold his spot. It was probably his best game in several weeks, but he will have to keep it up as the pressure builds from players like Robinson, Edwards, Dawson and Hayward and Cunningham return from injury. It was reported that Nick Smith had a bleed in his calf, but should be okay to play.

It was hard to get a read on the Mills situation, but at the time of the incident, Mills was certainly dazed, but didn't seem to lose consciousness and was able to run off the ground and down to the change room for the concussion test. The small amount of info on his present condition seems to indicate that he's tracking well, but it's hard for us to make a judgment on what will be a medical call.

In: Aliir
    Out: Florent

If Mills is ruled out, there are many that could take his place, but the odds would be on Robinson in a close call.

Harley tends not to mention injuries affecting first 22 and then Horse reveals them at selection (e.g. Hayward's foot last week), presumably not to give too much away to the opposition. So there could still be players who might not play: Smith and Jones in particular.

I could actually see no changes this week (barring injury). Give O-Flo more time to get up to speed.

Do GCS play 2 rucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Do GCS play 2 rucks?
    Now that Sinclair has been dropped, that's it for the 2 ruckmen.

Actually, Freo played 2 ruckmen when they brought Sandilands back last week, but they must have anticipated that he wasn't quite right and sure enough he did his hammy again in the 1st qtr and is out for the rest of the season. Their other ruckman is 18 yo Sean Darcy, a big boy who has done well in the 2 games he's played.

Brisbane have also been playing 2 ruckmen since Archie Smith has come into the squad, but he's the only legitimate backup for Stefan Martin and they're not in finals contention, so are in a position to experiment.

GC play ex Collingwood ruckman Jarrod Witts as their main ruckman, does around 85% or the ruck work, and he's having a fine year. Peter Wright, who is over 2 mtrs tall is their 2nd key forward after Lynch and takes the role when Witts is resting. They prefer having Wright play forward to take some of the heat off Lynch. Witts is a capable mark, but not much of a goal kicking threat.

It would be good to put a tag on Jarrod Harbrow, who has been their driving force out of defence.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast