Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 13 - July 8-9

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Just want to note some bad sportsmanship at Rosedale yesterday during the 19/2's game.
    1/ Bunch of flogs on the forward pocket fence, cans in hand, yelling use at any Nth Shore player coming their way. One kid playing in his 3rd ever game got a free kick right in front of them copped a mouthful as he was kicking, fair enough. He fluffed the kick and put it out on the full, the flogs on the fence laughed at him and called him all sorts of names, the kid was shattered. His father came over and was poised off and asked if this was typical AFL behaviour in Sydney.
    2/ Same game SWest Cats (JV 19's team) in front heaps to zero at � time called out to the Nth Shore players words to the effect of how hopeless they were could score a point etc etc. Winning with class should be on the agenda.
    It's beyond me why anyone thinks serving acohol during a 19s game is acceptable.

To be fair I don't know if it was served or if they bought their own.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    It's beyond me why anyone thinks serving acohol during a 19s game is acceptable.
    I think the better question is asking why do people think it's acceptable to get drunk and abuse players, be they U19 or seniors.

I was at the St George U19 2s game last night and there were people drinking without any problems. I'm not saying that they're a better club for that, just that it's about the person(s) not the licence to serve. I also agree that a club can't do much about people bringing their own, other than relying on those people to drink responsibly, or call the police if it gets out of hand, especially if the player is still U18.

I should add that the Western Blues played very well and were unlucky not to snatch a draw late. If they keep playing like that the wins will come.
    Last edited by Doctor; 10th July 2017 at 07:18 PM.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

To be fair I don't know if it was served or if they bought their own.
    It actually is an AFL rule that clubs cannot bring their own alcohol in to grounds. The club should be fined if that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Just want to note some bad sportsmanship at Rosedale yesterday during the 19/2's game.
    1/ Bunch of flogs on the forward pocket fence, cans in hand, yelling use at any Nth Shore player coming their way. One kid playing in his 3rd ever game got a free kick right in front of them copped a mouthful as he was kicking, fair enough. He fluffed the kick and put it out on the full, the flogs on the fence laughed at him and called him all sorts of names, the kid was shattered. His father came over and was poised off and asked if this was typical AFL behaviour in Sydney.
    2/ Same game SWest Cats (JV 19's team) in front heaps to zero at � time called out s to the Nth Shore players words to the effect of how hopeless they were could score a point etc etc. Winning with class should be on the agenda.
    Firstly I was not at the game on the weekend so some of what im relaying is third hand.

From what I was told there was banter both ways and the player in question was giving as good as he got and it was his gobbing of the started them.

I was also told from a parent of a 19 who I coached last year who was about 30 meters from the group it wasnt that bad or that loud.

On your point 2 I agree 100% and had I been there would had nipped it in the bud.

I do have a question to ask see as your here happy to paint my club in a bad light. What is worse blokes having beers and going overboard with the banter or blokes having beers going overboard and one of those people throwing a rock of a very decent size at a coach of an opposition club narrowly missing his head who was walking onto the field with his back to the rock thrower. Also for the record the person in question admitted in front of John Goode your president last year and myself that is was a rock not a bit of mud as he originally had claimed to John. During the game the coaches were subjected to consistent abuse as were the players about being dole bludgers houso's etc. So another question is is North Shores position that is only important to remain classy when 19s play and after that anything is fair game?

I wasnt there last year for the above mentioned incident but is without question as I was the one who investigated it. I have been at Gore Hill when the boys on the balcony full of piss are in full flight so please if your going to throw mud make sure your back yard is clean.
    Last edited by tara; 10th July 2017 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Firstly I was not at the game on the weekend so some of what im relaying is third

I wasnt there last year for the above mentioned incident but is without question as I was the one who investigated it. I have been at Gore Hill when the boys on the balcony full of piss are in full flight so please if your going to throw mud make sure your back yard is clean.
    Love the passion, but are we missing point?

I doubt that SWS would have condoned the king hit that sparked the incident at Gore Hill any more than North Shore would have condoned what followed. Pretty sure the North Shore player concerned was given 8 weeks by the club.

People get fired up for their clubs and occasionally cross the line. I reckon we all keep calling that for what it is, particularly when it involves people from our own clubs.

I might be wrong, but it feels to me like most clubs are actually improving in this area, but we've all still got work to do.

Tara I have no interest in painting your club in any light.

As I said in the post, fair enough barracking from the sideline but in my opinion the guys crossed the line and went to far when they humiliated the kid for stuffing up his kick.

Your sources are incorrect, this particular kid is as quite as a church mouse and did not engage with the supporters in question.

Others may have and that is their error in allowing themselves to be distracted.

I understand there is history between the two clubs but that should not excuse poor sportsmanship, the karma bus has a habit of backing over you at any time regardless of what level the team is.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    It actually is an AFL rule that clubs cannot bring their own alcohol in to grounds. The club should be fined if that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, try enforcing that rule....

There's a common element in most of Sydney AFL's off-field incidents and that is alcohol.

Why can't the Sydney AFL take the VAFA lead and make all grounds an alcohol free and family and female friendly environment. By all means have your pub or club as club sponsor where you can enjoy a beer after the games are finished but surely the time has come to turn off the taps on matchday. Why should kids have to put up with drunken idiots at the ground? (as a general statement, couldn't care less who was at fault at Rosedale).

Absolutely sure that with NSW Health and other grants that the clubs could get a sponsorship distribution from a DrinkWise type organisation to offset the loss of beer profits.

I have no doubt that the number of unsavoury incidents at games would almost disappear if we went alcohol free and with a but of luck Grand Final Day would be a day to be proud of and not ashamed of

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Yeah, try enforcing that rule....

There's a common element in most of Sydney AFL's off-field incidents and that is alcohol.

Why can't the Sydney AFL take the VAFA lead and make all grounds an alcohol free and family and female friendly environment. By all means have your pub or club as club sponsor where you can enjoy a beer after the games are finished but surely the time has come to turn off the taps on matchday. Why should kids have to put up with drunken idiots at the ground? (as a general statement, couldn't care less who was at fault at Rosedale).

Absolutely sure that with NSW Health and other grants that the clubs could get a sponsorship distribution from a DrinkWise type organisation to offset the loss of beer profits.

I have no doubt that the number of unsavoury incidents at games would almost disappear if we went alcohol free and with a but of luck Grand Final Day would be a day to be proud of and not ashamed of
    The benefits are outweighed the cons IMO. Agree with the above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12