Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 59

Thread: Round 15: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves @ SCG

  1. #37
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    No Problems. Robbo and Florent come out for JPK and AA. Rampe doesn't have to play as a key defender. The best teams that we will play in the run home, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong all play 3 tall forwards so we actually need Aliir for proper coverage. Even if Rampe plays on Camerion next week, Aliir can run with Tomlinson on the wing. I'm in favour of a shorter side, especially if we gain speed, but we really are a bit too short to properly match some of the better sides. It's only because of Rampe's talent and Mills' high marking ability that we get by, and get by quite well, but we can do even better with Aliir in the side. I agree with you that's he's just too good to be playing in the NEAFL.
    I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree with the suggestion that Rampe doesn't have to play as a key defender. Rampe is our best mobile key defender. He shuts down leads and can defuse one-on-ones against the best. I can't see why you'd play him anywhere else. He is the best fit for Cameron and will surely play on him.

    Our three key defenders are all playing really well at the moment.

  2. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I had Kennedy and Haywood in for Robbo and Ollie (more so 'like for like')......is Will's foot still not right?
    Who knows when it comes to injuries. One of the few criticisms I have of the club is their reporting of injuries to fans 2 weeks turns into 4-6 so easily. I prefer Aliir as we need more height in the back half next week plus he provides run from hb. I'm a big Hayward fan but I'd prefer he come back through the neafl

  3. #39
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree with the suggestion that Rampe doesn't have to play as a key defender. Rampe is our best mobile key defender. He shuts down leads and can defuse one-on-ones against the best. I can't see why you'd play him anywhere else. He is the best fit for Cameron and will surely play on him.

    Our three key defenders are all playing really well at the moment.
    It can be more difficult finding the best role for your best players than deciding what to do with your marginal players. I think this is the case with Rampe. He's very good in many different roles. I can understand those who prefer to use him as a key defender, because he's very good at it and can play tall or small. At his moment in time I feel we have a number of good tall and medium defenders in the reserves. Aliir, Marsh and Laidler are all capable of playing senior footy.

    I feel we can improve in 2 areas: Finding betting outlets from our defence to reduce repeat entries by the opposition and finding better options when kicking into our forward 50.

    I prefer Rampe being used more as an offensive weapon as well as a loose man in defence, which gives him more latitude to follow the ball and intercept marks. There were teams that tagged him and tried to take him out of the play and I wouldn't be surprised if we see this more often. Bringing Aliir in reduces the pressure on Rampe as Aliir takes some attention as well. He can't be left to do what he wants because he can damaging both running and kicking the ball.

    This strategy also permits a player like Lloyd to spend more time in the midfield where he can use his good kicking and decision making to find targets closer to our goal. I like having Lloyd and Newman more forward because of their ability to pick targets in a good position to kick a goal. We have too many players that just like to kick it long to Buddy. We have a lot of good goal kicking midfielders like Parker, Heeney and Hewett and should use them more often.

  4. #40
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,921
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Is he really out of cotton wool though? Playing one half of football on a wing against one of the not so good sides in the NEAFL seems to me to be quite a long way off from playing senior AFL football. Today's game against a much stronger foe will be a much better indicator of where he is at.

    As much as I love AJ and sincerely hope he gets back to the top level you have to keep in mind he has missed 4 and a half years of football. That is an insane amount of football for anyone to miss regardless of the reason.
    I'm not saying they'll throw him to the wolves - there are a lot of ifs, but if he proves himself good enough and if he is needed and if he regains touch, confidence and fitness then he will be selected.

    My point is I doubt they have put a line though him playing senior football in 2017 because 2018 will be so much different. I can't find the figures, but I think Menzel played 6 VFL games before returning to the top level.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

  5. #41
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,921
    And I'll add that I think it's better mentally and for his preparation in 2018 that he plays 1 or 2 games this year so it's not hanging over his head the whole off season.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

  6. #42
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    No Problems. Robbo and Florent come out for JPK and AA. Rampe doesn't have to play as a key defender. The best teams that we will play in the run home, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong all play 3 tall forwards so we actually need Aliir for proper coverage. Even if Rampe plays on Camerion next week, Aliir can run with Tomlinson on the wing. I'm in favour of a shorter side, especially if we gain speed, but we really are a bit too short to properly match some of the better sides. It's only because of Rampe's talent and Mills' high marking ability that we get by, and get by quite well, but we can do even better with Aliir in the side. I agree with you that's he's just too good to be playing in the NEAFL.
    Allir's godfather?

  7. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    My point is I doubt they have put a line though him playing senior football in 2017 because 2018 will be so much different. I can't find the figures, but I think Menzel played 6 VFL games before returning to the top level.
    While Menzel had 4 ACL reconstructions, he was out of senior football for 3 seasons. Alex has been (at least) 4 seasons.

    Menzel had both ACLs reconstructed. Alex's have all been on his left knee.

    Apples 🍎 and oranges 🍊.

  8. #44
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,921
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    While Menzel had 4 ACL reconstructions, he was out of senior football for 3 seasons. Alex has been (at least) 4 seasons.

    Menzel had both ACLs reconstructed. Alex's have all been on his left knee.

    Apples 🍎 and oranges 🍊.
    So you're saying only 3 weeks for Alex?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

  9. #45
    Goes up to 11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I'm not saying they'll throw him to the wolves - there are a lot of ifs, but if he proves himself good enough and if he is needed and if he regains touch, confidence and fitness then he will be selected.

    My point is I doubt they have put a line though him playing senior football in 2017 because 2018 will be so much different. I can't find the figures, but I think Menzel played 6 VFL games before returning to the top level.
    Saturday showed that he is a long, long way off senior football at this stage. Realistically he'll play out the year in the NEAFL, and aim for a solid pre season next year.

  10. #46
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,252


  11. #47
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Saturday showed that he is a long, long way off senior football at this stage. Realistically he'll play out the year in the NEAFL, and aim for a solid pre season next year.
    Agree. He didn't look up to speed for the NEAFL let alone AFL. He's got a long journey ahead and this is just the start.

  12. #48
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,164
    wow those sinclair stats...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO