Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 16 V Gold Coast. SCG 16.35 pm.

Opti-pessi-misti
    One comment in the article on Towers made me think of Jetta after he was moved out of the forward line. I know people on RWO thought he was playing well there but to me it was just sad. He was doing exactly as Towers is described as doing - trying to follow the coaches' instructions and fit in to the team structure. One day, when I became aware of how Goodesy so often positioned himself relative to the scrum exactly where the ball came out, especially after he had dropped a mark, it was uncanny. So I took to watching Jetta to see what he did and time after time he would be standing on the defensive side of any scrum and the ball almost never came out to where he was standing, or he was immediately pinged when it did. Over time it looked as though everything instinctive about his footy had died. It is good to see him getting some games at West Coast again as it is to see the confidence of Towers growing and his strengths starting to shine through and make a difference.

Veterans List
    Bit late on this, but here is a portion of Titus O'Reily's take on the weekends game......"It�s time we had a serious talk down here in Melbourne. What can we blame the Swans success on now? We�ve already taken away COLA and given them a trade ban. Perhaps it�s time to crank up the old academy excuse. Over to you Eddie, you need a distraction at the moment." Very funny while being very astute is Titus, sees the games machinations with far more clarity than most Vic 'journo's'.......

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Bit late on this, but here is a portion of Titus O'Reily's take on the weekends game......"It�s time we had a serious talk down here in Melbourne. What can we blame the Swans success on now? We�ve already taken away COLA and given them a trade ban. Perhaps it�s time to crank up the old academy excuse. Over to you Eddie, you need a distraction at the moment." Very funny while being very astute is Titus, sees the games machinations with far more clarity than most Vic 'journo's'.......
    Hi, Stevo, for more on the Titus O'Reilly article, have a look on the last page of the Finals thread.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hi, Stevo, for more on the Titus O'Reilly article, have a look on the last page of the Finals thread.
    Thanks deja. Titus is a hoot, his weekly ramblings are a much anticipated treat! Clarity with wit and mirth. Cheers...

Senior Player
    Just saw Rocket Eade has finally been sacked. One of my sons just sent me a text.... "confirmation that sacking Guy McKenna
    was one of the worst decisions in football". The Suns won 10 games in 2014 under McKenna and were building towards a finals
    appearance after having won 8 games in 2013. Under Eade they went 4 1/2 wins in 2015, 6 wins in 2016, and 6 wins so far
    this year. I think the young fella is right, what a disaster.

Senior Player
    However, there has been a perennial parade of injured troops in the last few years. Rocket never really had the opportunity to coach a team that resembled their best 22. Further, many good players are now with other clubs after serving a brief apprenticeship. He's been up against it I reckon.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    It's more that we could never understand why they sacked McKenna. Expansion team on the Gold Coast, it's a really tough gig.
    And with McKenna they went 8 wins in their third year, 10 in the fourth year. That was pretty good form all things considered.
    Then the bloke gets sacked. There has to be more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    However, there has been a perennial parade of injured troops in the last few years. Rocket never really had the opportunity to coach a team that resembled their best 22. Further, many good players are now with other clubs after serving a brief apprenticeship. He's been up against it I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's more that we could never understand why they sacked McKenna. Expansion team on the Gold Coast, it's a really tough gig.
    And with McKenna they went 8 wins in their third year, 10 in the fourth year. That was pretty good form all things considered.
    Then the bloke gets sacked. There has to be more to it.
    Yes, and if I remember rightly, McKenna had a huge injury list in the year that he was sacked.

- - - Updated - - -

And let's just hope, that they don't disrupt our finals preparations, by making moves for Dew, Blakely, etc straight away.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, and if I remember rightly, McKenna had a huge injury list in the year that he was sacked.
    I don't disagree. I think McKenna was doing a good job. I think the injuries came later in the season though and weren't necessarily throughout. Bock never got going at any stage but things started to unravel form-wise after Ablett did his shoulder from memory. They'd spent a bit of time in the eight leading up to this.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Yeah, it might be part of the nature of the early years of the expansion teams that even when they are going along OK,
    it doesn't take a lot to unsettle them. I think in 2015 GWS were going along very nicely in the first half of the season, then fell apart after
    Mumford got injured. They are more established now, so one guy is not as important. I guess I always wondered if McKenna had a fractious
    relationship with the Gaz, and that played some part in it, but you'd hope the club is bigger than that. McKenna's sacking is one of the great
    mysteries in footy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I don't disagree. I think McKenna was doing a good job. I think the injuries came later in the season though and weren't necessarily throughout. Bock never got going at any stage but things started to unravel form-wise after Ablett did his shoulder from memory. They'd spent a bit of time in the eight leading up to this.

Veterans List
    I thought the Suns were tracking very nicely and poised for finals when McKenna got sacked. With the extensive injury list including Ablett, I thought it was harsh and a bit hasty.....even desperate. Smacked of a management wanting to be seen as proactive and tough......now it just looks silly. Can't blame Rocket though, he never had a full list to choose from and again the Suns management look a bit desperate to appear proactive and tough......you know what they say about a rotting fish.

The sun's had a mass exodus of players at the end of McKenna's coaching. He'd lost the players.

What Rodney has done is stop the bleeding and stabilised the list. He just didn't win enough games. Hard to see anyone on the lists of replacements I've seen would be any better. They should go after Brad scott (from north) hard.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast