Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 16 V Gold Coast. SCG 16.35 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Corrected for date.
    Whoops! Thanks.

Finally I got to sit in the stands and watch the swans carve through the opposition like a hot knife through butter. Cheers lads! Now let's kick some serious butt next week. There's nothing I like more than taking down the Giants. Rohan, Rampe and Towers get my points this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post

Also, is it time for Newman to have a rest? He's been good this year, but definitely declining the past couple of weeks. Some of his disposal effectiveness and decision making seem to have been a bit questionable. That OOB on the full in the first quarter - ouch!
    Nico also commented negatively about Newman. I too was surprised by his drop off in kicking last week and the early part of this game. He made a few poor decisions as well. On the positive side, his defensive pressure and tackling have continued to be excellent. He spotted and hit a few good targets in the second half and looked much better. I think we tend to scrutinize new players more while allowing established stars their selfish mistakes, knowing that they will come good soon enough. I think Newman backs his kicking, and rightfully so, but sometimes it just doesn't come off.

The players fear Nico. Once he bashes them, they raise their game to a new level. He put the whip on Hewett and now he's in career best form. And before Cunningham's foot injury, he was hard as nails and playing great footy. So I expect Newman to reach new heights very soon.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I find Matthews to be relevant, insightful and objective most of the time.
    He expresses an opinion about our team and suddenly he is lumped in with Dermie and BT.
    Reactionary, much...
    Not really, when what he says about out team is complete utter crap.....it's so far off base it must be born of prejudice and that is totally unprofessional. As you say, "most of the time" he is insightful and objective....but not this time and he has to expect to be slated for it. I suppose that's 'reactive' but it's accurate......it's obvious he doesn't like our club too much, are we to congratulate him for that?

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Towers ate them alive last night. Was a solid effort

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Not really, when what he says about out team is complete utter crap.....it's so far off base it must be born of prejudice and that is totally unprofessional. As you say, "most of the time" he is insightful and objective....but not this time and he has to expect to be slated for it. I suppose that's 'reactive' but it's accurate......it's obvious he doesn't like our club too much, are we to congratulate him for that?
    Of course I don't agree with everything he says, including what he said about the Swans.
    But, BFD, it's just a commentator saying something I disagree with.
    I don't see any prejudice against the Swans. Just calling it as he sees it.
    Compared to some other sides, to some degree he's right, but were aren't other sides who play that frenetic, no holes barred, fast game, and there's nothing wrong with that, even if he doesn't like it.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I find Matthews to be relevant, insightful and objective most of the time.
    He expresses an opinion about our team and suddenly he is lumped in with Dermie and BT.
    Reactionary, much...
    I agree. He's also been a representative of the northern clubs for a number of years now and one of the few who's taken a stand against some of AFLs bullies.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Of course I don't agree with everything he says, including what he said about the Swans.
    But, BFD, it's just a commentator saying something I disagree with.
    I don't see any prejudice against the Swans. Just calling it as he sees it.
    Compared to some other sides, to some degree he's right, but were aren't other sides who play that frenetic, no holes barred, fast game, and there's nothing wrong with that, even if he doesn't like it.
    Come on CTS, stop being sensible, it's all part of the Victorian/AFL conspiracy against us.
    sprite

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I agree. He's also been a representative of the northern clubs for a number of years now and one of the few who's taken a stand against some of AFLs bullies.
    Err, the far north clubs maybe......

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    To search incognito, The Australian article is titled: 'Australian football starting to resemble rugby league: Matthews'.

"They might be the form team of the competition, the Swans, but they do play a �smother you� brand of footy,� Matthews says. �And if it wasn�t for (Lance) Franklin giving you a few highlights up their forward end, I�m not sure whether I�m keen on it, watching the Swans play, to be honest.�
    The "smother" by Papley the other week was a pretty good highlight ????.

But seriously does he actually even watch any of our games?

I would rather watch contested football (with goal scoring of course), then watch the ball moving up and down the ground uncontested.

Who cares what others think.

Veterans List
    I only care about the win column and right now the number reads 8!

Flags are usually won by good defensive teams so happy with that.

Won't get to see the game until end of the week, really looking forward to seeing Towers play his breakout game, will be a case of I see it but I don't believe it. Has all the tools, maybe it's starting to click for him. Next week, tear one into GWS!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast