Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 95

Thread: Changes for Round 17 v GWS

  1. #37
    I think we should bring in a couple of in-form reserves players to bring roughness against Johnson and Greene and get rubbed out for a few weeks.

    You just know that entire team (GWS) will play dirty.

  2. #38
    The swans shouldn't go taller because the giants are actually too tall. They looked better against hawthorn when lobb was rucking and mummy was on the bench.

    This could be mummy's last year.

  3. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    In: Kennedy
    Out: Robinson

    That's all that will happen barring injuries that we're not aware of, and fair enough too.
    I agree with this.

    Despite our love for Allir, I wouldn't bring him in for such an important match.

    Dropping Newman on the basis of one game in which he wasn't up to his usual standard would be a mistake, IMHO. What quicker way of crushing a player's confidence? (For that reason I'm glad we persevered with Towers when he played a couple of weaker games, and he has rewarded us. I hope he keeps going.)

    Can't quite get over how well Rohan played; love him as I do, a month ago I would have dropped him. Then he plays one of his best matches. After seeing him against Carlton when he just didn't seem to have a clue (even before he was concussed, after which he certainly didn't have a clue), his turn-around has been massive. All credit to him - and to the selection panel for sticking with him.

    I'm not sold on Florent at this stage, though he looks good for the future; maybe his spot might be less secure.

    Go Bloods!

  4. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Dropping Newman on the basis of one game in which he wasn't up to his usual standard would be a mistake, IMHO. What quicker way of crushing a player's confidence? (For that reason I'm glad we persevered with Towers when he played a couple of weaker games, and he has rewarded us. I hope he keeps going.)

    Can't quite get over how well Rohan played; love him as I do, a month ago I would have dropped him. Then he plays one of his best matches. After seeing him against Carlton when he just didn't seem to have a clue (even before he was concussed, after which he certainly didn't have a clue), his turn-around has been massive. All credit to him - and to the selection panel for sticking with him.

    I'm not sold on Florent at this stage, though he looks good for the future; maybe his spot might be less secure.
    It's not just one match for Newman, it's the past two or three. I'm not calling for his head just yet - he's still ok and has earned the chance to play through it.

    If Rohan & Towers can maintain that form, then I think we have the best forward line in the comp. Buddy, Reid, Rohan & Towers are all tall AND mobile which is just going to create nightmares for defenders. I love the set-up with Rohan playing deep where he can use his size and speed to beat his opponent, and freeing up Buddy to roam up and down the wing.

  5. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    It's not just one match for Newman, it's the past two or three. I'm not calling for his head just yet - he's still ok and has earned the chance to play through it.

    If Rohan & Towers can maintain that form, then I think we have the best forward line in the comp. Buddy, Reid, Rohan & Towers are all tall AND mobile which is just going to create nightmares for defenders. I love the set-up with Rohan playing deep where he can use his size and speed to beat his opponent, and freeing up Buddy to roam up and down the wing.
    I was closer to Ludwig's territory than my usual habitat in Melbourne for the Melbourne game, and so completely missed it. So your comment on Newman is of interest to me; still, we both seem to want him to be allowed the opportunity to work back to better form.

    As for your comment re forward line, +1. It's great to watch the development of our fire-power. I noticed that one of the commentators also remarked on our lessening reliance on Buddy for goals, and with the variety of threats we pose in the forward line, it bodes well.

  6. #42
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,830
    I don't understand the criticism of Nic Newman. Even with the few kicking errors he made last game, he was still much better than Hannebery. But I understand that Hanners was playing with a corked thigh and is a star of the team. Newman's defensive work has not dropped whatsoever during this stretch of 8 consecutive games he's played. The previous game v Melbourne he had 25 disposals, 8 marks and 5 tackles and was one our better players. In the Essendon game, he kicked 2 critical goals that helped get us over the line. So what is the criticism about, other than a few miskicks that every player makes from time to time?

    I'm very pleased that we selected Ollie Florent in the draft and he shows all the signs that he will have a very good career. But except for a few moments of good play in each game, he hasn't produced all that much this year and looks very much a rookie player getting adjusted to AFL footy. Even if Aliir is not chosen this week, there are still several other players, including Marsh and Laidler, who would contribute more than Florent has. We are heading into a very tough part of fixture and we have to be playing our best players for here on.

  7. #43
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,136
    Unless injuries dictate otherwise.....For mine it's ...
    OUT : Robinson, Florent
    IN : Kennedy, Hayward

    Best of luck to Deano rucking against Lobb/Mummy....

    My advise...Forget tapping, just duck and weave and try and win a bit of loose ball on the ground when Mummy's not looking.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  8. #44
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,064
    Yeah, on reflection I was probably a bit harsh on Newman to suggest he could make way for Aliir. He was down on Saturday, kicked more poorly than usual, but has definitely earned a longer run it. (I'd dispute he was 'much better' than Hannebery, though.)

    I think it was in part borne out of wanting to get Joey, Hayward and Aliir back in. In truth, there probably aren't three players to replace. I do think Florent will make way for Hayward or Aliir. I'm willing Ollie on and he's had some nice touches, but he doesn't look ready yet. Given it's the Giants, I'd prefer Aliir for his presence and athleticism, but wouldn't be surprised to see Will back and that'd be great too.

  9. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't understand the criticism of Nic Newman. Even with the few kicking errors he made last game, he was still much better than Hannebery. But I understand that Hanners was playing with a corked thigh and is a star of the team. Newman's defensive work has not dropped whatsoever during this stretch of 8 consecutive games he's played. The previous game v Melbourne he had 25 disposals, 8 marks and 5 tackles and was one our better players. In the Essendon game, he kicked 2 critical goals that helped get us over the line. So what is the criticism about, other than a few miskicks that every player makes from time to time?

    I'm very pleased that we selected Ollie Florent in the draft and he shows all the signs that he will have a very good career. But except for a few moments of good play in each game, he hasn't produced all that much this year and looks very much a rookie player getting adjusted to AFL footy. Even if Aliir is not chosen this week, there are still several other players, including Marsh and Laidler, who would contribute more than Florent has. We are heading into a very tough part of fixture and we have to be playing our best players for here on.
    I agree with you on both players.

    The criticism of Newman is relative to his performances earlier in the year. He seems to be making a few more errors, but that might be a consequence of him being more involved in the game. Nevertheless, his intensity and effort is as good as it has ever been and if keeps going as he has been he should be ok. I agree that he contributed more than Hannebery, or Zak Jones for that matter.

  10. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't understand the criticism of Nic Newman. Even with the few kicking errors he made last game, he was still much better than Hannebery. But I understand that Hanners was playing with a corked thigh and is a star of the team. Newman's defensive work has not dropped whatsoever during this stretch of 8 consecutive games he's played. The previous game v Melbourne he had 25 disposals, 8 marks and 5 tackles and was one our better players. In the Essendon game, he kicked 2 critical goals that helped get us over the line. So what is the criticism about, other than a few miskicks that every player makes from time to time?

    I'm very pleased that we selected Ollie Florent in the draft and he shows all the signs that he will have a very good career. But except for a few moments of good play in each game, he hasn't produced all that much this year and looks very much a rookie player getting adjusted to AFL footy. Even if Aliir is not chosen this week, there are still several other players, including Marsh and Laidler, who would contribute more than Florent has. We are heading into a very tough part of fixture and we have to be playing our best players for here on.

    Agree re Newman, Ludwig. Think you are a little bit tough on Florent. Obviously struggling a bit the last 2 weeks and should go out this week but has produced flashes of class with ball in hand including goal assists and a crucial goal against Essendon. Also his pressuring is very good for a young player. Is struggling physically a bit at the moment as a young player but I feel he has shown enough for me to think he will be a gun.

  11. #47
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,401
    Pity that Membrey will be our for our game. Usually contributes zilch against us (or any other decent team when the heat is on).
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

  12. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree re Newman, Ludwig. Think you are a little bit tough on Florent. Obviously struggling a bit the last 2 weeks and should go out this week but has produced flashes of class with ball in hand including goal assists and a crucial goal against Essendon. Also his pressuring is very good for a young player. Is struggling physically a bit at the moment as a young player but I feel he has shown enough for me to think he will be a gun.
    Just to summarise this thread so far. There is a debate about whether Florent will be gun or just bloody good, and lots of discussion about whether Newman has just made a few missed kicks vs. being slightly off his early-season performance.

    Pretty indicative of where the Swans are at in my book...not doing too badly!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO