Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rampe's tactics exposed "On the Couch"

Rampe's tactics exposed "On the Couch"

During the closing stages of the FoxFooty show "On the Couch", David King highlighted the tactics that Rampe employed on Lynch to close him down after quarter time. Although no different from tactics used by every experienced backman in the competition, it will no doubt feature in the umpire's review this week and whilst I expect him to be against Cameron it may prove to be a critical observation.
    Whilst not exactly a conspiracy theory advocate I wonder how independent the source for the vision may have been?

Can you elaborate please. What tactic(s) was he using?

Rampe's tactics exposed "On the Couch"

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Can you elaborate please. What tactic(s) was he using?
    It referred specifically to Rampe's holding of the opposition player's hands and grappling him before the ball was in the vicinity and then jumping early into his back.

Nothing particularly new, but the comment was then made that the holding was happening before the umpire turns his head to the contest and that perhaps it needs to be looked at by the umpires. It was a strange outing of a single player though.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    During the closing stages of the FoxFooty show "On the Couch", David King highlighted the tactics that Rampe employed on Lynch to close him down after quarter time. Although no different from tactics used by every experienced backman in the competition, it will no doubt feature in the umpire's review this week and whilst I expect him to be against Cameron it may prove to be a critical observation.
    Whilst not exactly a conspiracy theory advocate I wonder how independent the source for the vision may have been?
    Not much different to the highlighting of the tactics used against Sloane.

The difference is that in Sloane's case the tactics are being used against a particular player by teams, in general. In Rampe's case it is a common tactic used by many players, non specifically, that is being attributed to a single player.

The difference is that in Sloane's case the tactics are being used against a particular player by teams, in general. In Rampe's case it is a common tactic used by many players, non specifically, that is being attributed to a single player.
    Ok it's not "much different" but you have pointed out the difference. Ok then how is it any different to Hutchings tactics against Johannisen that was highlighted recently? It happens on these shows every now n then where they highlight tactics used by players. It's not a specific Sydney thing. I hate the Melbourne media with a passion but I actually like the media highlighting these things or we'd still have rediculous tactics like "Kelly's pinching". When these things get bought up with the umpires department crack down on the whole league. Not just a particular club. And like Brown said at the end, lots of players do it.

I'm of the belief that if these "tactics" are reviewed and policed generally then it would actually work in our favour. Franklin, Reid and Rohan would all benefit from a more stricter interpretation.
    My fear is that now Rampe has been isolated that he will be the whipping boy for a more vigilant application of the rules.

I'm of the belief that if these "tactics" are reviewed and policed generally then it would actually work in our favour. Franklin, Reid and Rohan would all benefit from a more stricter interpretation.
    My fear is that now Rampe has been isolated that he will be the whipping boy for a more vigilant application of the rules.
    I don't. Illegal tactics have been highlighted by the media for a long time and have bought about good changes. From Denhams tactics against Williams to Libratore Snr tactics all the way to Thomas ducking. They have to highlight a player to highlight the problem. It would bring about good change.

I hope you're right.

King does make his agenda known on 'on the couch'. Remember how he bought up the Father/Son V's Academy once Nick Blakey is getting closer to draft age, saying F/S should outweigh Academy?

Regular in the Side
    Does not show or talk about the holding of Buddy, been going on for along time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    F/S should outweigh Academy?
    I actually agree with King on this matter, as much as I hate the bloke (Round 19, 2004, anyone?) Academy recruits should be talented sports kids who otherwise wouldn't have a path into the AFL; not the son of a gun who would be playing footy anyway.
    C'mon Chels!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast