Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Swans vs Giants - general match discussion

My usual match day experience involves.
    Easy 1/2 hour drive to ground. Parking ($15) 5 minutes from ground, arriving 5 minutes before game. Waltz in, grab a beer from the members bar, choose to either suit on the fence or up in the stand. No line for food if half time avoided. Tip: food stalls at level 4, if open, no lines.
    Game. No annoying old music. Good comps ( Toyota tyres), kick to kick afterwards. No queue to get out of parking. Home.

Currently only one ground can give me all that.

Senior Player
    I know you directed this question at Barry, but having gone to most of their games at Spotless over the last few
    years I thought I�d add my two cents worth. Overall I would say the home crowd is a bit quieter than the Swans home crowd.
    Obviously it depends on the state the game is at and where you sit. The people around us at Spotless are 95%
    Giants fans, they are all merch-ed up and are actually quite loud, and spend most of the game complaining about the
    umpiring. The free kick count could be 20 to 5 in the Giants favour and they still aren�t happy. They know every umpire by
    name, and the umps are the root of all evil. Y�know, just the usual footy stuff.
    There are some young (mid 20s) guys behind us who obviously know some of Giants players personally and will spend an entire
    game �picking on� one of them. According to them, Tim Taranto shouldn�t even be playing footy. Anywhere. They are quite
    funny sometimes. The loudest game there was the prelim last year against the Dogs, but a lot of that was the Dogs fans
    and it was a frantic, very close game and the place was pretty much full. It�s definitely a younger crowd than our home
    crowd. There is a higher ratio of families with young kids than at the SCG. Their intro song is �Hell�s Bells� (AC/DC), a clear
    winner over �Sweet Caroline�.
    They have these competitions during the breaks that involve fans kicking and marking a ball. A guy won $100,000 last year
    for kicking a ball into a stack of tyres from about 35M. I think he has become some sort of local identity because of it. They
    have kick-to-kick after every game. They have a women�s team and are tied up with a netball team. There seems to be a
    lot of cross promoting between these teams.
    Even though it�s a modern stadium, the smaller crowd where most people are quite close to the boundary makes it feel
    more like a suburban game. We like going there, it�s much more relaxing to watch a game where you aren�t as invested
    in the result. Obviously GWS are quite good at footy, and you get to see more of the interstate teams live than if you just
    go to the SCG every second week. I�m always interested to see the better players from the other teams at the peak of their
    powers (when they are not playing us).

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Sounds like you've been to a few games at Spotless this year, so can you give us a comparison between there and the SCG games you've been to this year on atmosphere, crowd engagement etc? It'd be interesting to hear how experiences at the two grounds this year would compare.

I'm really much in line with KT,
    It's only 1/2 drive from our place and despite the 100k warning visiting the area that night, there were no hold ups.
    I parked , cycled the rest of the way.
    On the way back drunk girls try to get on the pannier which I don't allow . But it's pretty funny.
    I too went to the Dogs v Giants Prelim which was a memorable footy game.
    The Dogs fans go berko .
    I really enjoy it .
    Seeing Buddy and the boys live win on Sat night was bloody fabulous.
    I took a client from New York , and into'd him to kicktokick ... he was amazed .
    I like watching other good players too.
    The Giants aren't going anywhere, so I'll be back .
    Looking forward to Sat night at the SCG .

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Your making a dangerous assumption there Jono that Barry has actually been to any games at the SCG this year, given his previously stated disdain for the place
    Nah it was just an honest question to someone who saw it fit to call out those who chose not to attend Saturday's game.

Thanks to the others who've responded with some nice insights to the local AFL landscape. RWO is great for that, notwithstanding the thankfully infrequent trolling from some.

Nah it was just an honest question to someone who saw it fit to call out those who chose not to attend Saturday's game.

Thanks to the others who've responded with some nice insights to the local AFL landscape. RWO is great for that, notwithstanding the thankfully infrequent trolling from some.
    So your question was a troll. I'm shocked.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    So your question was a troll. I'm shocked.
    I thought the "honest question" bit may have shown that it wasn't, but you seem that have missed that.

Are you still a Swans fan? Given this is meant to be a forum built on respect and shared love of the Swans, I'd question why you're on here so frequently with the intention of seemingly just to get bites from schmucks like me that should be smart enough to ignore the baiting.

Fair enough jono - I was just taking a cheeky shot at Barry, as I often do whenever a 'homebush' vs SCG debate comes up!

I can see the attraction of Spotless as a venue if people live out that way - compared to the old experience at ANZ, it is chalk and cheese in terms of viewing angles and the like. I can understand why some people are choosing to go along on a regular basis. But its not something I would ever entertain doing, even if I lived in Sydney - but I can see the appeal for some.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112